xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Microsoft: No Evidence of any Compromise of Live Network or Bungie.net  (Read 146 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User

Microsoft: No Evidence of any Compromise of Live Network or Bungie.net
Posted by XanTium | March 21 20:19 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From Larry Hryb (Microsoft's Xbox Live Director of Programming):

Despite some recent reports and speculation, I want to reassure all of our 6 million Xbox Live members that we have looked into the situation and found no evidence of any compromise of the security of the Xbox Live Network or Bungie.net.  There have been a few isolated incidents where malicious users have been attempting to draw personal information from unsuspecting users and use it to gain access to their LIVE account.  This is a good time to remind our members that they should never give out any of their personal information. Additionally it may be a good idea to download this free PDF file from Microsoft.com 'Help Protect Yourself Against Identity Theft' that gives you some excellent information and tips on how to protect yourself.

Deihmos

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 07:14:00 PM »

I knew it was somethign like that yet so many websites were posting this as if someone hacked Xbox Live. Probably some kid gave their personal information to someone.

gom_fedj

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 07:28:00 PM »

I just wanted to comment really quick before everyone once again says it is people being "stupid" and giving out their account info to phishing sites (which i will admit i bet 1/2 of the problem IS that).

That before you believe a thing microsoft releases when it comes to something like this, think about how they are STILL standing by their announcements of Xbox 360 failure rate is less than 2%, which i doubt anyone here belives anymore, unless you also believe somehow 50% of the people that get on-line are all part of that 2% failure rate *grin*

i have a feeling in time some exploit of the Live system will come to light, but so far if there IS an exploit/hack it is being used so rarely that it is near impossible to track down i bet....

Would be interesting to see some hard numbers on this beyond Microsoft saying "look over here at this pretty rock! ignore what is happening" and the many news websites posting "OMG Xbox Live is hacked everyone is buying stuff with your Credit cards! PANIC!!!"

dvsone

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 07:20:00 PM »

QUOTE(gom_fedj @ Mar 22 2007, 01:59 AM) View Post

That before you believe a thing microsoft releases when it comes to something like this, think about how they are STILL standing by their announcements of Xbox 360 failure rate is less than 2%, which i doubt anyone here belives anymore, unless you also believe somehow 50% of the people that get on-line are all part of that 2% failure rate *grin*
2% of 10 million is 200,000. 200,000 is a lot of 360s. So I'm not as sure as you are about MS having a failure rate higher then this.

Anyway back to topic: I'm glad this is out in the air. I never really thought about someone stealing my account on my 360, and will be more careful now. Anyway, I know that if an unauthorized charge appears on my credit card that I can dispute it through my bank and they will reverse the charge 100% of the time. I make a habit of monitoring my credit card closely through net banking so I can detect any un-authorized charges.

PrOLiNe

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 08:07:00 PM »

http://360gamesaves.com/newsite/

Sounds like this site is accepting responsibility for the hijacking.

"News    Profile Trading No Longer Allowed

Due to the recent outbreak of users having accounts stolen or 'hijacked' we are going to disallow the trading of profile or profile information via this website. This is very unfortunate as I know a lot of you are highly involved with profile 'swapping, trading, helping' etc.

If only users would have simply shared the profile file rather then the actual account information and password there would be no risk of accounts being stolen but it seems thats not the case here.

Therefore, from this point on the request forum will be permanently closed down and any subsequent threads regarding of profile trading or swapping will result in a warning and deletion of the thread. Subsequent offenses will incur a ban on the user(s). "

gaming fanboy

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 07:56:00 PM »

thats bs and they know it, people call them all day and their represenatives give password reset information like its nothing. mad.gif

hbrdXΣr0

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 07:58:00 PM »

QUOTE(PrOLiNe @ Mar 21 2007, 08:38 PM) View Post

http://360gamesaves.com/newsite/

Sounds like this site is accepting responsibility for the hijacking.
"News    Profile Trading No Longer Allowed

Due to the recent outbreak of users having accounts stolen or 'hijacked' we are going to disallow the trading of profile or profile information via this website. This is very unfortunate as I know a lot of you are highly involved with profile 'swapping, trading, helping' etc.

If only users would have simply shared the profile file rather then the actual account information and password there would be no risk of accounts being stolen but it seems thats not the case here.

Therefore, from this point on the request forum will be permanently closed down and any subsequent threads regarding of profile trading or swapping will result in a warning and deletion of the thread. Subsequent offenses will incur a ban on the user(s). "

No, it sounds more like they're just trying to protect their users from it possibly becoming their fault.

capboy210

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 10:46:00 PM »

This is what happened to me:

-I had an Xbox 1 account that has never been even recovered onto a 360. I never brought my account to friend’s houses because none of them have an Xbox.

-I am enjoying a nice game in matchmaking and suddenly get signed out.

-The following day my friends on live ask me if i own a 360. They thought I did because some ignorant asshole recovered my account onto a 360 somehow and bought Microsoft points.

-I had a 2 hour conversation with the people on 1-800-4myxbox, they repeatedly asked me if I had my account on another Xbox somewhere else. I answered “NO” never. At the time none of my friends even had high-speed internet or even an Xbox. To top it off I did not even own a memory card at the time.

I talked with the head suprivisor over there and told them my account is being stolen from me and someone is playing on it. They failed to even give me back my money or even remotely help.

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 06:08:00 PM »

seems like the phishing enemies are getting smarter and smarter.

reminds me of the weakest link in ALL security protocols and encryption schemes...humans - be careful with your information...

PrOLiNe

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 04:24:00 PM »

QUOTE(hÿbrîdXΣr0 @ Mar 22 2007, 03:05 AM) View Post

No, it sounds more like they're just trying to protect their users from it possibly becoming their fault.

By them stating....

"If only users would have simply shared the profile file rather then the actual account information and password there would be no risk of accounts being stolen but it seems thats not the case here."

Is where I draw that conclusion.