xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Licensing and Xbox Live Marketplace content  (Read 192 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Licensing and Xbox Live Marketplace content
« on: August 10, 2006, 08:24:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | August 10 22:24 EST

From Millael (Ben Salem) on the Xbox Development Blog:

Over the past few months, forumers have reported issues with certain content items functioning improperly. Prevalent among these issues was the report that their purchased content was no longer being recognized as "purchased" by their boxes. The reason people seem to be having issues with these items is because of licensing.

When an item is purchased and subsequently downloaded for the first time, licenses to use the downloaded content are created and passed out to two separate locations. First, a license is created and issued to the console. This license enables all accounts to use this content freely, as long as the content is being accessed from said console - any profile being used on the console will be able to use the content while on the console.

Second, a license is created and issued to the profile used to purchase the item. This license is different in that it allows the profile to use the content on whichever console it currently resides on, but only if it is connected to live. Only the signed-in account can use the paid-for content - a license would have to be purchased on that console for everyone to be able to play. This seems to be where some people are getting tripped up - bringing a profile with a license on it to another console will not give the second console a license as well.

Example Scenario:
Say we have Consoles A and B, and profiles Player1, Player2, Player3.
Player 1 purchases the full version of Geometry Wars on Console A.  Console A now has a license for Geometry Wars, and anybody can play the full version of the game on that console. Player2 and Player3 are both able to enjoy the game as well on console A, as the console is licensed.
If Player1 moves to console B, he can still play the full version of Geometry Wars while he is signed into Live, as his profile has the license for the game. Player2 and Player3 would both be able to play the full version on console B, as well, as long as Player1 is connected to live on the same console. Once Player1 disconnects, however, Player2 and Player3, can only play the trial version, because they do not have the license, and nor does Console B. The only way Console B can be licensed is if another profile (Player2 or Player3) purchases the content on the new console.

Hopefully, this helps to clarify some of the issues you folks have been having. I'll do my best to keep actively reading the forums, and will try to help out in any way I can.

jasdev

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 07:54:00 PM »

Great explanation (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pop.gif)  w00t first post

flashfreak

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 08:45:00 PM »

This makes a lot of sense to some issues my friend has been having. I'll explain the situation.

He does not have broadband at home, and unfortunately, cannot get it. He brought his hard drive to my place and used my mates 360 to download frogger onto his hard drive. He purchased the full version after the few minutes of greatness of the trial. He played it for ages.

Later, he went home, and was telling me it wasn't registering that he had paid for it, so brought his 360 around for us to test. It seemed, that when he was signed into live, he could play it, but when offline, he only had the trial.

Let me say, this sucks. We paid for a full version of frogger which he can only use when he is over here, and when he is over here, we're usually busy playing halo 2 of cod2. I have not tried downloading frogger to the console it was purchased on and its hard drive, but from the explanation, it sounds like any user on that xbox will get the full version, as my friend downloaded it on that 360 (but to his hard drive).

Any ideas? Is it somehow possible for my friend to get the frogger he paid for linked to his 360?

sofa king dumb

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 08:47:00 PM »

so how come if player one buys geo wars on console A and is signed in but connected to live, it plays as a trail.(on console A)

ILLusions0fGrander

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 08:49:00 PM »

QUOTE(flashfreak @ Aug 10 2006, 09:52 PM) *

Any ideas? Is it somehow possible for my friend to get the frogger he paid for linked to his 360?

have him bring his 360 to your place and DL it there, would have to pay for it again from what you are saying.

dunno if it will still show as a trial offline tho

This post has been edited by ILLusions0fGrander: Aug 11 2006, 03:49 AM

Shanghai2004

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006, 08:58:00 PM »

What happens when my XBOX 360 breaks and MS replaces it or its out of warranty and I buy a new one?

Seems for more expensive games, its better to have them on disc as they have less limitations.

taikwondoejoe

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 09:15:00 PM »

So how would I fix this problem?
Console 1 has 2 arcade games on hardrive.
Console 2 has Hexic on hardrive
Memory card has 3 XBL gold profiles.

When i sign onto console 1 with the gold profile from console 2 i cannot download hexic from marketplace (is it even there?)  I just wanna have a playable hexic on console 1

tom_mandory

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 09:32:00 PM »

So if some llama steals my xbox, then he, and all his thieving buddies, can play full versions of all the games I bought, as well as having the console that I bought.
Then if I buy myself a new console, only I will be able to play the full versions of the games I bought, while my girlfriend and friends need me to sign in before they can play the same games.

GLiTcH

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 10:24:00 PM »

that sucks, i have bought some xbla titles n the graw dlc. but since my xbox360 died on me.. took it back n got my money back.... will be buying another this holiday season.... that means i have to buy them all over again? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grr.gif)  .. i dont think thats fair

Serious Sam

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2006, 10:49:00 PM »

QUOTE(GLiTcH @ Aug 11 2006, 12:31 AM) *

that sucks, i have bought some xbla titles n the graw dlc. but since my xbox360 died on me.. took it back n got my money back.... will be buying another this holiday season.... that means i have to buy them all over again? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grr.gif)  .. i dont think thats fair

No, the minute you migrate your xbox live account to that new console you will be able to download those games again and play them since you already paid for them on your old console. Get it?
It's the other acounts that cant leech off your paid content unless your primary gametag is signed on to Live.

PedrosPad

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2006, 01:45:00 AM »

Nice to have this posts speculation verified.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

This post has been edited by PedrosPad: Aug 11 2006, 08:49 AM

tommy600

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2006, 05:58:00 AM »

So how do I fix this problem?  I sent my console in for repairs after I purchased content and now my arcade games only work if my console is connected to live which a lot of the time it can't be.

rossarmstrong

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2006, 06:17:00 AM »

I just had this same issue due to having to replace a bad console. I bought mine through Costco so I just returned the old and picked up the new.

I've got two different gold accounts on my console and began having issues accessing previously downloaded material. My problems conform to what is described in the original post.

I called the Xbox help number and explained the problem. They had me fax a copy of the receipt showing I had returned one Xbox and purchased a new one (Costco does not do exchanges - they process it as a return and a new purchase). The Xbox folks looked at my two gold accounts download history and provided me with enough free points to redownload the material I had purchased previously. A couple of downloads were repaired by selecting the download again option, but for some reason it was not available for everything I had downloaded in the past.

This will now ensure that I have the license on both my console and my gamtertags.

If you have more than one gamertag and travel with one, make sure you download from the account you travel with. Otherwise, you will not have access when you are on a guest console. That was difficult to figure out at first, but the original poster does a nice job of explaining it.

Bottom line, if you have paid for material once and then have to get a replacement console, call the Xbox support people and have them check your download history and reissue points so you can redownload to your new console.

This post has been edited by rossarmstrong: Aug 11 2006, 01:27 PM

flashfreak

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2006, 07:00:00 AM »

Just looking through this, Im thinking maybe on my friends console, if hes connected to live, he can play frogger. If he goes to the marketplace, he should be able to re-download frogger and hopefully that would link it to his 360. If not, he could delete it and then re-download it, as apparently it will remember that u have already paid for it, then when i download it, it would fix the whole problem up.

He and other mates are coming over tomorrow night so i'll give it a shot then.

Reaper527

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2006, 08:32:00 AM »

QUOTE(tom_mandory @ Aug 10 2006, 11:39 PM) *

So if some llama steals my xbox, then he, and all his thieving buddies, can play full versions of all the games I bought, as well as having the console that I bought.

does he look like he's going to steal your console? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/jester.gif)
(IMG:http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/other/llama/llama1.jpg)

This post has been edited by Reaper527: Aug 11 2006, 03:32 PM