xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: For People Having Problems Connecting To Certain Others On Xbl  (Read 169 times)

Grentz

• Archived User

Well I must first start out and say that this is a problem I have seen many talking about and that I have expereience first hand.

The problem is that you can connect to Xbox Live just fine, but you will be unable to join certain peoples parties unless someone else (besides you or the other person) is party leader (host).

I have this happen with a friend that lives close to me, but we cannot join each others parties if one of us is the party leader (host). But we can both join a party that someone else is party leader in. This has been really annoying for me for the past few years, and finally I found the problem for me and it was one simple check box!

Well, this can be a pain as you will most likely find that it happens with more than just that one friend, and depending on what your friends setups are, it can happen with tons of your friends!

Now all these problems are because of NAT. On the original Xbox you cannot see your NAT status, but on the 360 you can! If you go to the system blade --> Network Settings --> Xbox Live Connection Test it will run a diagnostic and check your connection, plus the very bottom thing is NAT.

If your NAT is Open, you are in luck, you should have no trouble connecting to others.
If your NAT is Moderate, you can connect to others that are Moderate or Open.
If your NAT is Strict, you can connect to others that are Open Only!

Ok, Great, your NAT is one of the above, but how do I fix it if I have Moderate or Strict.

Well, there is no do this and it fixes everything, but there are a few things you can try.

First, I have seen many "fixes" that say to turn off UPnP on your Router/Modem. You actually should try it on AND off.

In my setup, my Modem and Router Both had UPnP options and when I enabled UPnP on my Router and Modem, my NAT went from Strict to Open!  This is the simple check box that fixed my problems I have been having for years with XBL!!!

Another thing that can sometimes fix the problem is to forward ports 88 and 3074 to your Xbox. This change again depends on your modem/router, but you should be able to go into your router/modem, find Port Forwarding or NAT Options, and then forward those ports to your Xbox IP (if you use a modem and router hooked together, Forward those ports on your Modem to your Router, then your Router to your Xbox).

Finally, if you use a router and none of that works, try plugging your xbox directly to your modem. PowerCycle (turn off and back on) your modem and start your Xbox. Once on the internet (able to connect to XBL) try the NAT test again (or if on an original xbox try connecting to the party you were having troubles with before). If it works now, the problem is most likely your router. Some routers just are incompatible and do not work with open NAT. You can check the list here for routers that will for sure work with XBL (although there are others that work as well):
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/connectt...g/equipment.htm

I wish there was a clear fix for all, but there are so many different modems/routers combinations of the two, that it is impossible to have a fix all solution. I hope this helps some people that have been having problems though!

Also a note, even though I have open NAT, there can be times that it does not work perfectly and i cannot join, but I have about 80% less problems now than I did before and 99% of the time I can connect to my friends party that I had trouble with before!

This post has been edited by Grentz: Jul 19 2006, 06:22 PM

taikwondoejoe

• Archived User
For People Having Problems Connecting To Certain Others On Xbl
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 02:56:00 PM »

I have a compatible router and finally got my nat to open and I still can't join friends parties (people that live close).  I tried everything mentioned before and nothing seems to fix my problem.

Grentz

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 10:08:00 PM »

Wierd, But I do know that sometimes even with open you can have wierd problems.

There are a lot of factors in networking and different peoples setups, so it is hard to figure out the exact cause :sad:

It might just be IP conflicts as well which there is nothing you can do about (except try to power cycle your modem).

Grentz

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2006, 03:15:00 PM »

And for those still having problems, even with the stuff I talked about above, when you do not have an Xbox Live compatible router/modem, it is about 50/50 on whether it works or not.

I have been doing a lot more testing and it is really 50/50 whether I can join my friends party or not even though my 360 says I have open NAT now. But, at least i can get in his party 50% of the time, before it was 0% smile.gif

Paperstack.1

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2006, 06:04:00 PM »

I have my network set tp use static IP addresses since i'm on top about being organized. Another possible solution is if you have your network setup with static IP's and want to keep your choice and have an open NAT connection, configure your router to use Address (or IP) Reservation for the 360 like so (tested using a Netgear WGR614 Wireless Router):

1. Power on your Xbox 360. Go to System > Network Settings > Edit Settings.
2. Under "Basic Settings", make sure both "IP Settings" & "DNS Settings" are set to "Automatic". Ignore "Additional Settings" if you are using a cable connection (ex. Comcast). Otherwise, fill out the "PPPoE Settings" if you are using DSL (ex. Verizon).
3. Click here to find out how to obtain your Xbox 360's MAC address.
4. Log into your router (should be something like 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1)
5. Look for "Address Reservation" or similar text. (See Screenshot 1 Below)
6. Fill out the fields and enter the 360's MAC. (See Screenshot 2 Below)
7. Open the following ports: *88 UDP* *3074 UDP*, and *3074 TCP* to your assigned 360's IP Address (See Screenshot 3 Below)
8. Reboot your router. Wait for about 1 minute for your router to configure itself. (Power Cycle your 360 in the process)
9. Let the 360 connect to Xbox Live. The IP Address you assigned to your 360 from your router should be set. (See Screenshot 4 Below)
10. Run "Test Xbox Live Connection" on the 360 to see if the NAT is set to "Open". (See Screnshot 5 Below)

Hope this helps anybody   smile.gif

Screenshot 1
IPB Image

Screenshot 2
IPB Image

Screenshot 3
IPB Image

Screenshot 4
IPB Image

Screenshot 5
IPB Image

Grentz

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2006, 01:52:00 PM »

its funny how for those of us that at one point had it on strict and do not have a XBL compatible modem/router, even when you get it open it still is about 50/50 if it lets you connect to those troublesome parties or not  sad.gif

I can't even play PGR3 online as i always get "Cannot Connect to all Users"

Really stupid considering it says I have Open NAT

red-leader

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 10:18:00 AM »

i dont know where to find options for dhcp on my modem router can anyone help

Carlo210

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2006, 01:54:00 PM »

Yeah, downright ruined GRAW for me. Big issue with Xbox Live and should be fixed, somehow. Maybe some automatic configuration or something, but not being able to connect is shitty. Period.
Big negative with Xbox Live.

DeadP1ay3r

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 08:00:00 PM »

if you cannot conect your xbox 360 to your netgear router and you use PPPoE try this. My modem has the PPPoE settings already stored in the modem, as with most peoples modems, so if your trying to connect to the router and it still wont work after you have tried those steps. ERASE the PPPoE username and pw and stuff in your xbox. It should work after that!!

problems with Xbox 360 doesnt connect to netgear router

otciii

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2006, 11:41:00 AM »

[quote name='Paperstack.1' date='Jul 22 2006, 08:11 PM' post='3555433']
I have my network set tp use static IP addresses since i'm on top about being organized. Another possible solution is if you have your network setup with static IP's and want to keep your choice and have an open NAT connection, configure your router to use Address (or IP) Reservation for the 360 like so (tested using a Netgear WGR614 Wireless Router):

1. Power on your Xbox 360. Go to System > Network Settings > Edit Settings.
2. Under "Basic Settings", make sure both "IP Settings" & "DNS Settings" are set to "Automatic". Ignore "Additional Settings" if you are using a cable connection (ex. Comcast). Otherwise, fill out the "PPPoE Settings" if you are using DSL (ex. Verizon).
3. Click here to find out how to obtain your Xbox 360's MAC address.
4. Log into your router (should be something like 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1)
5. Look for "Address Reservation" or similar text. (See Screenshot 1 Below)
6. Fill out the fields and enter the 360's MAC. (See Screenshot 2 Below)
7. Open the following ports: *88 UDP* *3074 UDP*, and *3074 TCP* to your assigned 360's IP Address (See Screenshot 3 Below)
8. Reboot your router. Wait for about 1 minute for your router to configure itself. (Power Cycle your 360 in the process)
9. Let the 360 connect to Xbox Live. The IP Address you assigned to your 360 from your router should be set. (See Screenshot 4 Below)
10. Run "Test Xbox Live Connection" on the 360 to see if the NAT is set to "Open". (See Screnshot 5 Below)

Hope this helps anybody   (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Hello,
I have done all of these steps and further.  To the extent of putting the 360 in the DMZ, and still my NAT setting is strict.  Any ideas??

Thanks in advance