xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Xbox Live scheduled downtime on June 27th *Confirmed*  (Read 769 times)

DaLeroy

• Archived User
Xbox Live scheduled downtime on June 27th *Confirmed*
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2006, 07:50:00 PM »

I hope it bans backups and Xbox's which have used them.  Just so all the whiny kids on here can bitch that it's not fair they can't steal games. jester.gif

Megamil

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2006, 08:46:00 PM »

QUOTE(lantus @ Jun 26 2006, 09:56 PM) View Post

XBL isnt a one off fee - its ongoing. The more you pay, the longer online time you receive. But at some point your subscription will run out and you will need to fork over some more cash to play online.

Sure banning on XBL isnt new with modchips - but this really isnt the same thing. You cant cheat online with backup images, you cant modify game data files to use online. There is no advantage at all to the person using a backed up image over an original.

And its in my opinion that MS would prefer to patch the kernel and nip the whole backup thing in the bud rather than ban accounts.  Banned XBL accounts = lost revenue.

Your logic is flawed.  You compare the 12 months service of XBL to 1 $60.00 game.  It's not like you buy one game a year.  There is no comparison.  Trust me, they would rather ban xboxes, just like they did with xbox 1.  They would rather lose your next years subscription over you pirating 100's of games.

Lord Serebi

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2006, 09:43:00 PM »

QUOTE(rift @ Jun 27 2006, 03:59 AM) View Post

That is actually incorrect.  Only the executables are signed (.xex file), not every file on the disc.  So really you could alter the files on the disc to give you an advantage.  For instance, I could edit the texture files in COD2 to make walls translucent (I haven't done this just giving an example) and the signature of the .xex would be the same since that file hasn't been alterted.

Just my 2 cents.

currently if you change any file on the disc it won't work. why? you tell me, i just know this fact.

epsilon72

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2006, 10:25:00 PM »

QUOTE(Hackersnu @ Jun 26 2006, 08:57 PM) View Post

I bet u guys a dollar that the banning will start tomorrow. Bright and early wink.gif  And the kiddy whiny treads will all over the place.

laugh.gif i'd be really amused if that does happen.  all these kids whining and screaming @ m$ on x-s because they can't play pirated games online.  If you love the game enough to play it online consistently, BUY IT!

I would be less happy if they did have an 'offline dasboard stored ban request' as someone said earlier.  but hey, M$ is in charge as far as live is concerned, not us.

Atleast they can't 'brick' any 360's for playing backups, that would be a little messed up...

Megamil

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2006, 10:38:00 PM »

QUOTE(epsilon72 @ Jun 27 2006, 12:32 AM) View Post

Atleast they can't 'brick' any 360's for playing backups, that would be a little messed up...

Me personally, I don't see anything wrong with that.  I mean, with all the other glitches, how could one say their 360 bricked because they flashed their firmware.  The 360 has bricked on many other firmware updates that don't have anything to do with pirated/backup games  biggrin.gif  M$ would just say, we don't know what your talking about.  Sorry, we will replace your 360, if out of warranty, at a price  ohmy.gif

Megamil

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2006, 10:56:00 PM »

QUOTE(epsilon72 @ Jun 27 2006, 12:50 AM) View Post

heh, yeah.  that's corporate america for ya...

i'm not worried about my 360 at all, i'm just concerned for the welfare of others  smile.gif .  i haven't even opened my 360; i still consider it way too big of an investment to fool around with (and i'm having wayy too much fun on live too).  all my other systems, on the other hand...  rolleyes.gif

lol +1

I remember when I used to talk so much crap about Xbox live.  Since I was so used to gaming on the PC, I used to say why would I pay for something I can do for free on the PC.  Until I signed up for the silver account and they stick you with that free month of Gold status.  It was like crack  huh.gif Now I can't think about not surviving on the 360 without Xbox Live.  The majority of my REAL friends have it so I don't even have to go over their house anymore to kick that a$$.  Can do it right from the living room now  love.gif

EGOvoruhk

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2006, 12:22:00 AM »

QUOTE(Xcitedguy @ Jun 26 2006, 05:01 PM) View Post

Why would you want it to be effected? What's wrong with playing backups on live if you own the original game?

Because it will lead to cheating with hacked data files

esc1

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2006, 12:57:00 AM »

Why does everyone expect this maintenance time to affect the fw hack?  

Anyways, hopefully there is a nice treat or two for this down time.  Would rather have SF, but if the Prey demo is there that would be nice.

rift

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2006, 01:28:00 AM »

QUOTE(lantus @ Jun 27 2006, 08:08 AM) View Post

You are wrong. This does not work.

If that is true, then how come I can edit the texture and hlsl files in King Kong on the kiosk demo disc and it still runs with my mods?  If this was the case it shouldn't run... unless those files weren't signed at all.

Megamil

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2006, 01:48:00 AM »

QUOTE(lantus @ Jun 27 2006, 03:08 AM) View Post

You are wrong. This does not work.
You are wrong.  You can edit alot of the picture files on the 360 disc.  You just can't touch the xex file.  Only then is the "seal" broken.

TIME2PLAYDAGAME

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2006, 03:09:00 AM »

*Looks at everyone getting paranoid*  laugh.gif  Nothing is going to happen, it's just server maintenance. And please with the people acting like saints on here. *roles eyes*  What is there like a handful of people doing this out of over 4mil systems sold worldwide?...Psssh Im sure M$ is shaking in their boots. This hack is not as widespread as what was happening with the Xbox, plus a lot of people are scared to even take the chance of losing live. There is no homebrew, no exploits & nothing altered..So why should M$ panic? Why take a chance in screwing up people's systems, when they could just release new drives in the near future, ending all of this? They could very easily take a small loss from this & move on. Oh and everyone who's praying for linux, modchips etc. should be the ones worrying when(if) that stuff is released, they will most definately zap ya @$$'s!  tongue.gif

Megamil

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2006, 03:49:00 AM »

QUOTE(TIME2PLAYDAGAME @ Jun 27 2006, 05:16 AM) View Post

*Looks at everyone getting paranoid*  laugh.gif  Nothing is going to happen, it's just server maintenance. And please with the people acting like saints on here. *roles eyes*  What is there like a handful of people doing this out of over 4mil systems sold worldwide?...Psssh Im sure M$ is shaking in their boots. This hack is not as widespread as what was happening with the Xbox, plus a lot of people are scared to even take the chance of losing live. There is no homebrew, no exploits & nothing altered..So why should M$ panic? Why take a chance in screwing up people's systems, when they could just release new drives in the near future, ending all of this? They could very easily take a small loss from this & move on. Oh and everyone who's praying for linux, modchips etc. should be the ones worrying when(if) that stuff is released, they will most definately zap ya @$$'s!  tongue.gif

No one is paranoid.  I think your just exagerating on that.  There are people that don't approve of the exploit.  Has nothing to do with being a saint at all.  The xbox hack that you talk about isn't even as widespread as you say.  Yeah sure, there are tons of chips out for it but even at this stage, unless you follow the news like we do, people still do not know and/or are scared to tamper with their system.  I don't approve and won't use this hack because i'm not risking losing my XBL.  Has nothing to do with being paranoid, just know that eventually they will start banning and they aren't just giong to take my money and ban me from the service.  If anything, I'll just pick up another 360 to play around with.

QUOTE(rift @ Jun 27 2006, 05:20 AM) View Post

That's what i thought.  You can't edit files that are signed, but files that aren't signed are fair game.  It is unlikely that all files are signed since that would eat up cpu and resources to verify everything is signed.
Yeah, your right.    I heard there are people who patched their Tomb Raider Legend with some nude patch.   blink.gif  I'm all for DOA bouncy boobs but geez.  It's a lil to easy to see tits that you shouldn't have to turn to video game nudity  tongue.gif

Chrissy2k4

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2006, 04:26:00 AM »

smile.gif  It's most probably an upgrade of their servers, as there have been many, MANY complaints about the speed of their downloads from the marketplace.

Fraudster

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2006, 05:14:00 AM »

Yeah big issue's here in the u.k.

I have friends in sacremento who are donloading at lightning speed's...

As with most things we get screwed with some bottlenecked pipe that cant serv anything at a decent speed.

Residential speed - down - 10mb, up - 512k.

Speeds i get from live - down 1-2mb, up - N/A.

if i download very early in the morning its not 'too bad'.

Managed to grab the hitman demo at 6am gmt. in about 20 mins. - which probably equated to 6mb or something (download speed).

if this improves... i will be very happy.  wink.gif

Kazimieras

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2006, 08:58:00 AM »

QUOTE(rift @ Jun 27 2006, 08:35 AM) View Post

If that is true, then how come I can edit the texture and hlsl files in King Kong on the kiosk demo disc and it still runs with my mods?  If this was the case it shouldn't run... unless those files weren't signed at all.

The kiosk disc only had signed xex files, but the rest of the disc was unlocked, allowing for mods to happen. Normal discs in theoruy should be completely locked up. I still want M$ to ban people playing their 'backups'. If you don't buy the game, you shouldn't get the live abilities that go with it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4