xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Video Hands-On With the New Xbox Live Update and More  (Read 973 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Video Hands-On With the New Xbox Live Update and More
« on: May 27, 2006, 11:10:00 AM »

Video Hands-On With the New Xbox Live Update and More-- Posted by XanTium on May 27 12:34 EST
The guys at 1up posted a video hands-on with the new Xbox 360 Live upgrade coming next week:

With the first of two yearly planned updates -- this one being the Spring update -- Microsoft's Xbox 360 Live service has finally left beta.

The video is a 1UP guided tour of the new features and functionality that this Spring Update offers. The video will show the new Active Download system, DVD player improvements like Bookmarking (remeber position where you stopped watching), Dashboard Boot-Up with game in drive, how theme downloading has been simplified, how Active Download cancels and restarts automatically when you shift into playing a Live-enabled game (the download halts to avoid sucking bandwidth), how your custom soundtracks are remembered by the system (and finally play over Geometry Wars) and how those soundtracks will play during a game and turn off automatically when the Xbox 360 recognizes a cutscene -- and then resumes after the cutscene finishes.

Screenshots and a nice overview of what will change is available on kotaku.com.

So, will MS also include a fix for the DVD firmware hack? Maybe, MS was warned about this hack several months ago, so it's not like they didn't have time to come up with something.
How they will check it is unknown, but they currently have many ways to do so, both checks on the discs  (backups are still very different from retail xbox 360 discs, even when patched with SS) and of course checks on the memory and firmware of the DVD drive.
Of course as long as the hardware doesn't change the DVD firmware stays 'open' and there can be no real trusted communication between the DVD and the console core... so theoretically people could always modify the firmware to come with a reply the console expects, but MS could make this very very hard and confusing.
What MS will do when they detect it? ... again unknown but I guess you can at least expect a ban of your console ID on LIVE if you're online (like with the Xbox1). They might also block the console from booting if they detect a modified firmware and/or make some easy checks on discs before booting them.

ensaynexotics

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 10:49:00 AM »

noooooooooooooo, this is bad, very bad

RaFaMp

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 10:56:00 AM »

i'm 99% sure that MS will ban 360s with hacked firmware

brywalker

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006, 10:24:00 AM »

QUOTE(RaFaMp @ May 27 2006, 05:27 PM) View Post

i'm 99% sure that MS will ban 360s with hacked firmware

I'm with you. I'm sure they will at least do that, at most disable the hack.

Questioner

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2006, 11:00:00 AM »

What is very bad? This is the same speculation that has been going around for weeks.

JimmyGoon

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006, 10:26:00 AM »

QUOTE(Xbox-Scene @ May 27 2006, 05:41 PM) View Post

So, will MS also include a fix for the DVD firmware hack? Maybe, MS was warned about this hack several months ago, so it's not like they didn't have time to come up with something.
How they will check it is unknown, but they currently have many ways to do so, both checks on the discs  (backups are still very different from retail xbox 360 discs, even when patched with SS) and of course checks on the memory and firmware of the DVD drive.
Of course as long as the hardware doesn't change the DVD firmware stays 'open' and there can be no real trusted communication between the DVD and the console core... so theoretically people could always modify the firmware to come with a reply the console expects, but MS could make this very very hard and confusing.
What MS will do when they detect it? ... again unknown but I guess you can at least expect a ban of your console ID on LIVE if you're online (like with the Xbox1). They might also block the console from booting if they detect a modified firmware and/or make some easy checks on discs before booting them.

Is that legal? You own the product don't you... I understand the ability to ban you for impeading the Xbox Live "service" but can they legally stop your 360 from booting. That sounds like me going to my friends house and hitting it with a hammer and causing it to break... that would be destruction of property, how would what MS *may* do be legal?

atomiX

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2006, 11:09:00 AM »

I for one will be updating the day the update comes out. So many great features to pass up. They may block the firmware, so what?

brywalker

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2006, 10:40:00 AM »

QUOTE(JimmyGoon @ May 27 2006, 05:33 PM) View Post

Is that legal? You own the product don't you... I understand the ability to ban you for impeading the Xbox Live "service" but can they legally stop your 360 from booting. That sounds like me going to my friends house and hitting it with a hammer and causing it to break... that would be destruction of property, how would what MS *may* do be legal?

Is what YOU are doing legal? I think not. DCMA violations abound, piracy, etc. Pot calling the kettle black? Maybe they should just take your Live info and send the feds to your house instead. That way they don't "break the law" by bricking a console. Odds are they would find more than a few backed up 360 games...

echto

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2006, 10:59:00 AM »

QUOTE(brywalker @ May 27 2006, 09:47 AM) View Post

Is what YOU are doing legal? I think not. DCMA violations abound, piracy, etc. Pot calling the kettle black? Maybe they should just take your Live info and send the feds to your house instead. That way they don't "break the law" by bricking a console. Odds are they would find more than a few backed up 360 games...

I missed something.  What did he say he was doing?

muhaha.gif

constanboi

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2006, 11:35:00 AM »

QUOTE(brywalker @ May 27 2006, 05:47 PM) *

i know this concept is one that is hard to understand, but

DMCA = united states
the world =/= united states

your laws are not the same for the rest of the world....

Infamous

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2006, 11:37:00 AM »

actually it is legal here to do it... as long as you have only backups of your own games.. then yes, it would be illegal for M$ to kill your system.

constanboi

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2006, 11:03:00 AM »

QUOTE(JimmyGoon @ May 27 2006, 05:33 PM) View Post

I agree, and  I doubt MS will do that..

besides, why didnt they do it with xbox 1? i mean assuming its legal.. they probably would have done...

JohnnyVegas

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2006, 11:42:00 AM »

To me let em do somthing... Then we can have more fun beating this next round.

smile.gif

FreshOuttaMaps

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2006, 12:09:00 PM »

As much as it would suck, I don't see anything wrong if they would FRAG your system if it detected a non-stock firmware on your dvd drive on boot.  After all, you have made a non-supported configuration to your system, so it's not MS's fault if it doesn't work with their software.

Of course, you can always refuse the upgrade. On the other hand if they upgrade consoles without your consent, there would be major problems with that (in most places).

FierceDeityLink1

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2006, 12:15:00 PM »

I doubt MS would brick everyone's 360 for the same reason Windows XP still works on most of our PCs.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5