xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox Live! Marketplace Slow As Sh!t  (Read 212 times)

jiveabillion

• Archived User
Xbox Live! Marketplace Slow As Sh!t
« on: May 22, 2006, 06:38:00 AM »

I have 4MBit connection and I can download stuff pretty darn fast. Xbox Live! Marketplace is extremely slow. I hate how long it takes to download demos. A 24MB Live! Arcade game takes around 5 minutes. That's nearly as slow as dial up. I am running it wired through my router. I have no problems downloading or streaming things quickly on my modded xbox with XBMC. Anyone else having this problem? Is there something I need to fix?

Avenger 2.0

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 03:47:00 AM »

Same problem here. I have a 20Mbps internet connection, and the max I can get at Xbox Live is like 0.5Mbps (~60 KB/s). So downloading a demo realy takes about 4 hours (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
With the upcoming dashboard update with background downloading, I can atleast use my console to game (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

This post has been edited by Avenger 2.0: May 27 2006, 10:49 AM

darksteppin

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 04:24:00 PM »

QUOTE(Avenger 2.0 @ May 27 2006, 12:02 PM) View Post

Same problem here. I have a 20Mbps internet connection, and the max I can get at Xbox Live is like 0.5Mbps (~60 KB/s). So downloading a demo realy takes about 4 hours dry.gif
With the upcoming dashboard update with background downloading, I can atleast use my console to game smile.gif

I have a 20mbps fiber connection too and the marketplace has never been slow for me. I just downloaded the hitman demo in 15 mins. It never takes more than 15-30 mins for any of the demos. I guess it could be where you live. I live in sacramento,ca and its lightning fast.

Sweenerdog32

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 01:37:00 PM »

You think you got it bad? Try living where I do (regional Australia). I have the max connection, which is a measly 1.5mbps. It usually takes 4-5 hours to download a demo. Good thing when I cancel and start again it jumps to 49% tongue.gif

It could also be the servers which handle the downloads. Too many people downloading at once = slower for everyone.

jimjom

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 01:25:00 PM »

5 down, cox cable... Las Vegas.

Only slowdown I have seen was on e3 release day and when demos are JUST released. Other than that... it's a as fast as it can be.

CerealKiller741

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2006, 01:54:00 PM »

Yea, I haven't noticed any MAJOR slowdowns since e3.

Python

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 10:36:00 AM »

Avenger 2.0 and jiveabillion I'm from Brasil, have a 8mbit ADSL2+ connection and Im getting the same speeds.
Using linux to route and have all the ports beign redirected as said in xbox.com

Maybe its a location on the globe issue but that's kind hard to happen these days with big enterprise internet links like microsoft and apple have.
I just posted a topic about that and send a message to Microsoft XBOX support.

I thought it could be a dashboard net code issue but since other users have good download speeds...
I also tried  different service providers and connecting the xbox directly to the ADSL Modem. Nothing good. always the same slow connections.

I used NETTOP and MRTG to monitor my speeds. Average of 0,3mbit and peak of 0,5mbit

Grentz

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2006, 07:30:00 PM »

24mb in 5min is NO WHERE near dialup. Dialup takes 1 hour for 5mb......

Also, quit complaining, I have a max of 512 for my dsl since i live out of town a ways...and thats for everything.

My friend has 3mb DSL and his downloads go really fast. He downloaded the 320mb demo in 15 minutes which is way fast in my mind.

Also, live allocates downloads lower than games...so peak gaming hours will result in slower downloads to keep gameplay lag free.

This post has been edited by Grentz: Sep 30 2006, 02:31 AM

Gohan5052

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2006, 03:38:00 PM »

i have a 9mb connection nd it takes me like a half an hour to download a demo. I hope ms comes out with a bigger hard drive  cause mine is almost always full. Movies on demand wouldnt hurt either