xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Report: Swearing in Online Games  (Read 841 times)

BadNinja3

• Archived User
Report: Swearing in Online Games
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2006, 07:48:00 PM »

QUOTE(JMan8108 @ Feb 17 2006, 04:45 PM) View Post

hahhahaha my friend is actually half asian and half black....
we call him Chilack... it sounds funny as hell and makes him mad

you should call him "nigga-nese"

hector7710

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2006, 08:57:00 PM »

haha sometimes in PGR live, if i crash someone and make them loose, i hear the word fuck about 5 times per second. biggrin.gif

Orangey

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2006, 09:03:00 PM »

You all need to watch this:

http://www.whas11.co...=49293&catId=49

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2006, 09:22:00 PM »

Reading this thread has had me in tears...you guys are f*cking hillarious!  I have wanted to quote so many of the things written in this thread.

Cursing on Xbox Live should be done in moderation and without legitimate threats or harrassment.  Some cursing should be allowed.  I mean the game is basically a war when the purpose is to kill one another...

dom0012

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2006, 09:25:00 PM »

how about a study to see how many times out of 10 games you get cheated in Halo 2?

BoNg420

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2006, 09:30:00 PM »

heres a good trash talk video.
http://www.nearlygoo...oxlivetrash.wmv

taikwondoejoe

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2006, 09:41:00 PM »

QUOTE(BoNg420 @ Feb 17 2006, 11:37 PM) View Post

heres a good trash talk video.
http://www.nearlygoo...oxlivetrash.wmv

Thats hilarious.   laugh.gif

nwo504

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2006, 01:42:00 AM »

its mostly kids who's parents are very strict

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2006, 03:31:00 AM »

This thread shows the relative maturity we have posting in this thread.
 I always fail to grasp why people think its clever to swear.
If you want to swear with your mates and what ever fine I have no issue with that....but...
2 days ago some idiot sent a message to my 9 year old daughter after she had won a game on FIFA 2006 (Hardly mature content rating) containing loads of F**k and foul language.
As he was not saying it in front of me I used the only option open whcih was to report him. If he is doing this all the time and he gets banned so what, I hope he does.
Racism should not be tolerated at all.
Those of you using arguments about playing mature rated or 18+ games... How many of you are over that age?
If you have to fire off a load of swearing at or to an unknown person on live then you are not mature enough to play mature content rated games.

is this name taken too?

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2006, 09:09:00 AM »

the cussing i can deal with, but racist and anti semitic remarks get complaints filed against them. it's not necessary for a 14 year old white kid to be calling people niggers and talking about how he hates jews when if confronted with one of these people in real life he'd be too chicken shit to even look them in the eye.

pcrat

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2006, 09:15:00 AM »

I mostly play PGR2 and Sniper Elite, and i say the word "fuck" atleast...... 20 times an hour!

shanafan

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2006, 10:58:00 PM »

An online games player has conducted a limited study into swearing on Xbox Live.
In a period of about 30 hours of play on Xbox Live, blogger Josh Smith heard cussing, an average 20 times an hour; once every three minutes. The word 'fuck' was the most common swearword, rating 8.11 uses per hour.
Highly offensive racist, homophobic and sexist language also featured prominently.

At which most of it was directed towards him  tongue.gif

thntbm

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2006, 11:28:00 PM »

I think this has gotten way too much press. It's been known that people swear in games for a long time (and not just on Xbox Live). The only reason this is interesting is because, for the sake of "research", he wrote the frequency of what everyone said. There is a reason for that stupid ESRB disclaimer for online games: 'Your game experience may be different online'.

This study was extremely limited to just Halo 2 (yet, in all of the stories linking here, it unjustly gives all of Xbox Live a bad name). The first iteration of Xbox Live had an ignore/mute list, report feedback, and file complaints. The new one has take reporting feedback to the next level with detailed breakdowns when reporting negative feedback and filing complaints. This shows up as "Rep". If someone has offended you, you should give them negative feedback so others will know to stay away from them and so your chances of every playing them again will be decreased. The feedback does stay on your record and you can see what people have given you (though it is completely anonymous). If your rep gets bad enough (or if a complaint was filed, they will be banned.

Also, you should pick the right zone for you, if you are offended at profanity, pick the Family or Recreation zones. I think the framework is put in place and it's up to the community to police itself (the way it should be, right?).

deakphreak

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2006, 11:39:00 PM »

QUOTE(Chancer @ Feb 18 2006, 11:38 AM) View Post

This thread shows the relative maturity we have posting in this thread.
 I always fail to grasp why people think its clever to swear.
If you want to swear with your mates and what ever fine I have no issue with that....but...
2 days ago some idiot sent a message to my 9 year old daughter after she had won a game on FIFA 2006 (Hardly mature content rating) containing loads of F**k and foul language.
As he was not saying it in front of me I used the only option open whcih was to report him. If he is doing this all the time and he gets banned so what, I hope he does.
Racism should not be tolerated at all.
Those of you using arguments about playing mature rated or 18+ games... How many of you are over that age?
If you have to fire off a load of swearing at or to an unknown person on live then you are not mature enough to play mature content rated games.

I agree with you there, after my friend played quake 4 online for about 10 min,  we already had a voice message with all types of profanity in it... Im just glad i dont have kids yet as they wont be playing online any time soon which is really sad.  IMO swearing is really dumb and i also wonder why people think its so "cool" to swear.  Its called respect and it seems that most people could care less about  respect.  I remember this one thing that my friend said a while back.  All my friends were into swearing, drugs ect and i never picked up on that crap, but my old friend said how he loved driving in his car and when there was a car of little kids and their parents and stuff, he would blast the worst  song he had with as many F words as possible.... That statement made me very mad and that friendship did not last. Come on people, use common sense and learn a little about respect!!

BoNg420

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2006, 12:53:00 AM »

nvm
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4