xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Report: Swearing in Online Games  (Read 845 times)

zikronix

• Archived User
Report: Swearing in Online Games
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2006, 08:29:00 AM »

hell i think fuck was the firt word i learned...

Perhaps one of the most interesting and colorful words in the English language today is the word "fuck". It is the one magical word which, just by its sound, can describe pain, pleasure, love, and hate.

In language, "fuck" falls into many grammatical categories.

It can be used as a verb, both transitive (John fucked Mary) and intransitive (Mary was fucked by John).
It can be an action verb (John really gives a fuck), a passive verb (Mary really doesn't give a fuck), an adverb (Mary is fucking interested in John), or as a noun (Mary is a terrific fuck).
It can also be used as an adjective (Mary is fucking beautiful) or an interjection (Fuck! I'm late for my date with Mary).  
It can even be used as a conjunction (Mary is easy, fuck she's also stupid).
As you can see, there are very few words with the overall versatility of the word "fuck".  Aside from its sexual connotations, this incredible word can be used to describe many situations...

Greetings   "How the fuck are ya?"

Fraud       "I got fucked by the car dealer."

Resignation "Oh, fuck it!"

Trouble     "I guess I'm fucked now."

Aggression  "FUCK YOU!"

Disgust     "Fuck me."

Confusion   "What the fuck.......?"

Difficulty  "I don't understand this fucking business!"

Despair     "Fucked again..."

Pleasure    "I fucking couldn't be happier."

Displeasure "What the fuck is going on here?"

Lost        "Where the fuck are we."

Disbelief   "UNFUCKING BELIEVABLE!"

Retaliation "Up your fucking ass!"

Denial      "I didn't fucking do it."

Perplexity  "I know fuck all about it."

Apathy      "Who really gives a fuck, anyhow?"

Greetings   "How the fuck are ya?"

Suspicion   "Who the fuck are you?"

Panic       "Let's get the fuck out of here."

Directions  "Fuck off."

Disbelief   "How the fuck did you do that?"

It can be used in an anatomical description- "He's a fucking asshole."

It can be used to tell time- "It's five fucking thirty."

It can be used in business- "How did I wind up with this fucking job?"

It can be maternal- "Mother fucker."

It can be political- "Fuck Dan Quayle!"

It has also been used by many notable people throughout history...

"What the fuck was that?"
- Mayor of Hiroshima

"Where the fuck is all this water coming from?"
- Captain of the Titanic

"That's not a real fucking gun."
- John Lennon

"Who's gonna fucking find out?"
- Richard Nixon

"Heads are going to fucking roll."
- Anne Boleyn

"Let the fucking woman drive."
- Commander of Space Shuttle

"What fucking map?"
- "Challenger," Mark Thatcher

"Any fucking idiot could understand that."
- Albert Einstein

"It does so fucking look like her!"
- Picasso

"How the fuck did you work that out?"
- Pythagoras

"You want what on the fucking ceiling?"
- Michaelangelo

"Fuck a duck."
- Walt Disney

"Why?- Because its fucking there!"
- Edmund Hilary

"I don't suppose its gonna fucking rain?"
- Joan of Arc

"Scattered fucking showers my ass."
- Noah

"I need this parade like I need a fucking hole in my head."
- John F. Kennedy

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2006, 09:15:00 AM »

zikronix that exactly proves my point. Your whole post was to get as many swearwords in as you could.
Its very sad really and shows how limited you are intellectually.
What is the point to it all? a post just to see how much you can use the F word, Do you feel very tough now or is it some other form of bravado compensating for something else. Perhaps you think swearing impresses the women or that other people will look up to you.
I think your post was  a meaningless attempt to show how clever you think you are but unfortunately the bright people on here will see it for what it is.

pcrat

• Archived User
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2006, 11:23:00 AM »

unerage kids playing ONLIVE,  and getting swore at, is your own problem, you know how xbox live is.
who in there right mind would let them play on xbox live when ya know damn FUCKING well there gonna swear,
then ya come and complain to us about it.

there is not 1 single game hardly that someone does not swear, and when they message her and do it well , hey its part of live so deal with it or dont let your underage children play on xbox live.
or take out the headphones. Use your head.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2006, 11:40:00 AM »

who in there right mind would let them play on xbox live when ya know damn FUCKING well there gonna swear,
then ya come and complain to us about it.

I don't see why my kids should not be able play on Live without being sworn at. I don't let them play mature content games. Live is for everyone. I am not tagged as underground for my gamertag zone.
One thing certain don't come out with the "You know what live is like" rubbish. I have talked to many people on live during games, they don't swear, I don't swear on live, so don't tar everyone with the same brush.
The problem is little kids like yourself who should not be playing mature content games or swearing at people you don't know. You can't even post without swearing, which just shows your ignorance.
With any luck MS will ban people who think its macho to swear at unknown people on live. Its like playing the big guy from behind an internet connection, everyone soon figures out the type and eventually you will have nobody to hook up with on live.
Like I said swear at your mates I have no issue. swear at an unknown person (By swear i mean F this and that) and you are pathetic.
Edit
The rest of the article sums it up really
"When you log-on to Xbox Live, more often then not you will be greeted by a 14-year-old who learned a new word on the playground that day. Or maybe it’s the drunken 24-year-old who hates black people, gays and anyone who isn’t in his flat.

"No matter who you are if you have played on Live you have run into cursing and lewdness."

Smith says he wanted to highlight the problem of swearing on online games services, but is not a campaigner for regulation against games. He says parents should be aware that many online games players are not adults.

BoNg420

• Archived User
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2006, 12:08:00 PM »

zikronix, sounds like you would be a big fan of the southpark movie.

pcrat

• Archived User
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2006, 11:53:00 AM »

Well its just like the internet chat rooms forums etc, yes theres people who hide behind the net. Its like the saying goes, if ya dont want to watch the tv show , dont complain just turn the channel.
If ya dont want to hear the cussing, mute the player, or unplug your communicator.

swearing is just words, its as easy as " who gives a rats ass" dont let it bother ya, let it go in one ear and out the other, I know everyone here is good at that, since we all did it with our own parents  biggrin.gif

ybaig123

• Archived User
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2006, 03:04:00 PM »

yeah...swearing...its funny...especially when its 4th and 2 and you got the ball and your opponent is calling you a pussy saying you wont make it..and then? you snap the ball and run strong side for an easy 1st down  biggrin.gif ... and the funniest thing about it..is the way the go silent right after you make them look stupid.

JMan8108

• Archived User
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2006, 06:13:00 PM »

Or when a cheeser is telling how stupid playing sim is and they go for it on their own 30 and you pick it for a TD and they go silent biggrin.gif

FSG

• Archived User
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2006, 04:28:00 PM »

QUOTE(JMan8108 @ Feb 20 2006, 08:20 PM) View Post

Or when a cheeser is telling how stupid playing sim is and they go for it on their own 30 and you pick it for a TD and they go silent biggrin.gif

Reminds me of the other day. Playing some little kid that was cussing up a storm then he went for it i intercepted it in his redzone and ran it back for like 87 yards i think somewhere around there. They quit of course.

Edit:
I am 15 (16 in april) never cuss on live maybe every now and then ill say damn when I wreck but thats it really if you can call that cussing.. If people start cussing for no reason over a period of time I just simply turn down the mic leave or mute them..

ClintiePoo

• Archived User
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2006, 07:48:00 PM »

I think people swearing is sad.  It shows a lack of respect for everyone in the game.  It's not cool to curse.  You're not clever to argue philosophically, "it's just a word, just syllables."  Everyone knows that words mean something, and I would rather not tolerate ludeness and racism in a video game.  In fact, I wish they would make the "mute voice" function more accessible so that I can stifle all of the little pottymouths that play in games with me.

JMan8108

• Archived User
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2006, 05:53:00 PM »

Is it me or does it seem like the users on live who seem to cuss the most are kids? Honestly I know there have got to be some kids that dont, but if theyre voice is squeky i expect em to let off a trail of f bombs.

jbp20717

• Archived User
« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2006, 01:12:00 PM »

If it's a one-on-one game I don't mind swearing, or foul play, or pretty much anything - whereas I pretty much stopped playing PGR3 on Live as soon as I got all the badges, because I became so annoyed with people generally arsing around and swearing just because 7 other people could see/hear.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]