xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: New Linksys Router Is Lagging Out All Of My Live Games  (Read 482 times)

thax

• Archived User
New Linksys Router Is Lagging Out All Of My Live Games
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2006, 10:03:00 AM »

You need to reduce the length of your path.

Go to your system properties, Advanced, Environment Variables
Variable Name: Path
Variable Value: %SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem

If you do Python or Oracle development then you can readd those directories if you need. Otherwise leave them out.

After that when you type ping your path should be nice and short and ping should start working properly.

cgrumler

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2006, 10:40:00 AM »

Ok, I did all of that and even removed the only line of Oracle that I saw in the Environment Variables.

Now, when I try to ping yahoo.com, I get this:

http://img.photobuck...ler/newping.jpg

thax

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2006, 08:06:00 PM »

Type path again, there is another ping.com command that is still on your system that you are executing. Copy the path statement here.

Type dir c:\windows\system32\ping*

Type c:\windows\system32\ping.exe www.yahoo.com

cgrumler

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2006, 08:52:00 PM »

Well, I'll be....she's breathing again.

I did what you told me to ping yahoo.com and i finally got data sent back to me.

Now, I tried the same thing but with the ip address of my 360 instead of www.yahoo.com and I got THIS:

http://img.photobuck...er/xboxping.jpg

Now I would THINK that it wouldn't time out like that.  Am I screwing something up when I try to ping my 360?

thax

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2006, 10:03:00 PM »

This is expected as the x360 doesn't respond to ICMP traffic. I am a little concerned about your PC as it may have a rootkit installed, but anyway now that you can ping things try to do a ping -t www.MS.com while playing online at let me know the average ping times when playing, especially when the game is lagging.

cgrumler

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2006, 08:04:00 AM »

http://img.photobuck.../onlineping.jpg

I joined an online game of Dead or Alive 4.  The first 50% of those results occurred while I was waiting for my turn to play.  The last 50% occurred while I was playing.  Again, seemed just fine while watching the game.  It wasn't until it was my turn to play where it got extremely bad.

thax

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2006, 02:46:00 PM »

The ping times are good. The only other thing I can say is to try pinging www.micro*soft.com instead of www.ms.com. Sorry I forgot that x-scene switches micro*soft to ms, which is morgan stanley or something. Very annoying.

The lag is probably coming from the server side, meaning there is nothing you can do about it. The only other test you can do is hooking your console directly to your modem to isolate your router.

cgrumler

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2006, 02:55:00 PM »

A local member of Best Buy's Geek Squad told me that the ISP that I'm using, for whatever reason, has it in for Linksys.  That, for some odd reason, will ping the heck out of anything that's Linksys.

What you're telling me supports this, I think.

Is there anything I can ask or say to the ISP (Insight Broadband), that'll get them to change any settings or anything over on their end?

JammDDR

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2006, 03:38:00 AM »

The lagging issue with COD2 is a bug in the game.  I myself experienced it today.  First couple games ran fine, then after that crazy lagging.  Activision is currently working on a fix.  I will not play COD2 on Live until the fix is released.

frOOt lOOps

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2006, 03:31:00 PM »

oh let me help you here. trust me i had the same problem. there is a problem with all WRT54G routers, when alot of connections are created the router crashes or hangs up because it can't handle all the connections. P2P realy agrivates the situtation. Before i use to use bittorent and my router crashed every 30 minutes and i had to reboot. READ THIS, trust me it works. my router has been on for 60 days with about 250 GB of bittorent traffic and it is always fast and never crashses. Linksys has still not adressed this issue.

http://www.utorrent....G_GL_GS_routers

Here is the qoute from uTorrent if it makes more sense for you.

"The default firmware for Linksys (and all replacement firmwares except for one) have a severe problem where they track old connections for FIVE days, which causes the router to hang when using P2P apps, or any software that generates a lot of connections. DHT only aggravates the situation because of the number of connections it generates.

Linksys has yet to address this issue, but there is a fix. If you use alternative firmware, you can put in a start-up script to fix this problem. DD-WRT and HyperWRT support custom start-up scripts."

Don't blame me if you mess up your router. This is flashing your router. If you screw up the flash then you need to download a .exe flasher of Linksys.com. I messed up. ONCE YOU FLASH YOU NEED THE CUSTOM START UP SCRIPT.

cgrumler

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2006, 12:25:00 PM »

I see other models that are compatible with this firmware.  But I don't see a firmware here that's compatible with my WRT54XG.

frOOt lOOps

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2006, 02:42:00 PM »

then get the ..exe flasher of linksys that way if you mess it up you can flash it back to normal even if you mess up the router. if you screw up your router you can't flash back a .bin cause they're is no way to get backinto the router. but the e.xe should let you. i dont know. go into dd-wrt/hyperWRT forums and ask, or get a different router that doesnt have this issue.

cgrumler

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2006, 12:57:00 PM »

Ok, I went and bought a new Netgear router.

Now everything is working again.

CrazyCor

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2006, 09:37:00 PM »

Hey there..
while playing COD2 my ping is usually between 50- 150 on all games i play.. unless i am lagging out.. but this last week my ping in every game has gone no lower then 250.. my ethernet cable is connected from my wall to my xbox (living in rez at school) so there is no Router.. i was wondering if there were ways to reduce my ping a bit to go back like it was before..

thax

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2006, 10:28:00 PM »

If you are living in Res it is likely you are sharing bandwidth with hundreds of other intensive bandwidth users. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do about this without working closely with your provider.
Pages: 1 [2]