xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Cannot Get On Live Reliably...  (Read 235 times)

ybaig123

• Archived User
Cannot Get On Live Reliably...
« on: December 13, 2005, 04:18:00 PM »

yeah that happens to me sometimes with pdz...i takes a while to actually 'connect' to a game....and madden...at times...does the same thing...but i eventually get on a game..sometimes it takes a few..sometimes it doesn't...

amb7247

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 04:45:00 PM »

no offense, but I woudln't put my trust into a belkin router. Linksys for sure or D-Link and netgear a near 3rd.

Gbeav

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 05:13:00 PM »

Maybe I'm oldschool or just a non believer but I won't do nothing wireless except my phone.

Stunna7516

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 05:53:00 PM »

QUOTE(amb7247 @ Dec 13 2005, 06:52 PM) View Post

no offense, but I woudln't put my trust into a belkin router. Linksys for sure or D-Link and netgear a near 3rd.

No offense but maybe you should check some reviews on Belkin Pre-N wireless networking hardware.  Almost everywhere agrees that the stuff is unbeatable right now, and CNET among others agree that Belkin's Pre-N router whoops the competition in every way.  I dunno, I pretty much only trust Belkin and Netgear when it comes to wireless, everything Linksys that I have had has sucked horribly.  I've never had experience with D-Link.

It's good to hear that others have the same problem though.  Once I'm in the games it is fine no lagging.

babanoosh

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 06:38:00 PM »

I don't think it's a LAN issue anyway. Probably more to do with geographics such as people close to you, and with acceptable ping. The community is still in its infancy.

And to the Belkin lover, BOO YAH! Netgear just came out with their newest Pre N router with enhanced MIMO (more multiplexed data per channel) at 240Mbps! Err... I'm sorry for that sudden and strange outburst. What I meant to say is... CERTAIN LinkSys Routers support Linux kernel so you can run your own PBX (and much more) at home!!!! Damn, what the hell is wrong with me? I must go take my pills.

Stunna7516

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 08:06:00 PM »

QUOTE(babanoosh @ Dec 13 2005, 08:45 PM) View Post

I don't think it's a LAN issue anyway. Probably more to do with geographics such as people close to you, and with acceptable ping. The community is still in its infancy.
And to the Belkin lover, BOO YAH! Netgear just came out with their newest Pre N router with enhanced MIMO (more multiplexed data per channel) at 240Mbps! Err... I'm sorry for that sudden and strange outburst. What I meant to say is... CERTAIN LinkSys Routers support Linux kernel so you can run your own PBX (and much more) at home!!!! Damn, what the hell is wrong with me? I must go take my pills.

I understand that there's always progression in technology, I just think its kind of ignorant to say that a Belkin router with the highest reviews anywhere as of a week ago atleast is in need of an upgrade.  

Is this Netgear actually a true Pre-N router?  When did it get announced?  Link me to it Id like to read about it.  I know their RangeMax is supposed to be good but not great.  And I have nothing against other networking companies but I've probably tried about 4 different routers, Ive tried 2 range extenders, and this Belkin router is the first that reaches my room with more than 60% signal strength, and it is at 97%.

babanoosh

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2005, 07:26:00 AM »

QUOTE(Stunna7516 @ Dec 13 2005, 09:13 PM) View Post

I understand that there's always progression in technology, I just think its kind of ignorant to say that a Belkin router with the highest reviews anywhere as of a week ago atleast is in need of an upgrade.  

Is this Netgear actually a true Pre-N router?  When did it get announced?  Link me to it Id like to read about it.  I know their RangeMax is supposed to be good but not great.  And I have nothing against other networking companies but I've probably tried about 4 different routers, Ive tried 2 range extenders, and this Belkin router is the first that reaches my room with more than 60% signal strength, and it is at 97%.

Well, I can't honestly say anything about a belkin router. I pondered upgrading to one in my last upgrade, but they were 30 dollars more and I couldn't justify the price. Motorola routers just plain suck (couldn't forward a range, very slow processor) and a d-link (at the time) wouldn't let half of my services run correctly, nor host system link games, even in a DMZ! This was when Halo 1 came out so I really needed a router that could. I ended up with a Netgear WGR614 v4 with SPI, WPA, MAC & WiFi access control lists (I know filtering doesn't really add to "security", but still an ok feature for a amateur hack). I purchased it about a year and a half back or so(I think) which overheated, and they sent me a v5. The only reason I upgraded from my tried and true LinkSys was that its WAN port was too slow for my new connection (at the time). Anyway, LinkSys is probably the most popular within the mod community because of it's hack potential (even LinkSys... err... Cisco) promotes this.

Anyway, there are plenty of pre n routers in the market now, so I'm not getting the suprise. Even Best Buy is chocked full of them. Anything with MIMO is pre n. However, the netgear is the first I've seen with an advertised 240Mbps, so probably over 100Mbps throughput easily. I'm thinking of picking one up if they have a wireless usb adapter that works together with it. Hopefully I could hook it up to the 360 (in preparation of HD streaming) and take the MS $100 one back to Target.

http://www.netgear.c...rangemax240.php

Stunna7516

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2005, 02:28:00 PM »

Not all pre-n routers are equal.

http://reviews.cnet....-5.html?tag=toc

tnil

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2005, 02:46:00 PM »

QUOTE(Stunna7516 @ Dec 13 2005, 05:12 PM) View Post

UPDATE: OK new correction... it actually does work some of the time. I got into a game of PGR and into a game of PD Zero that both ran fine, but for PD I had to choose like 15 games to get into a lobby finally. For PGR it was like 2 out of 3 lobbies worked. What's the problem here?

You probably should try connecting the xbox directly to your broadband connection first.  That way, you can eliminate that the problem is your connection.  Most cable/dsl services provide DHCP, so you should be able to set the xbox to DHCP and connect it directly to your ISP's equipment.

If it works fine, you know the problem is local to your home network.  Most likely with the wireless signal strength.  For most wireless gateways/routers/access points, you can buy a higher power omni antenna that will boost the signal.  Such as this one: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16833164005

I am connecting to xbox live fine even with my hardware firewall in place.

babanoosh

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2005, 03:56:00 PM »

QUOTE(Stunna7516 @ Dec 14 2005, 03:35 PM) View Post

Not all pre-n routers are equal.

http://reviews.cnet....-5.html?tag=toc

I didn't know I implied they were wink.gif

pennywisdom

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2005, 09:58:00 PM »

i actually read this in another thread and once i tried it, it seemed to worked perfectly.

in your router, assign a static ip to your 360. then, in the 360's network settings, chage the ip from auto to manual and then enter in all of the info manually including the dns info.

after doing that like the other guy did, i connect perfectly everytime!  love.gif