xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: 5.1 Music Discs  (Read 116 times)

:GrAnD:

• Archived User
5.1 Music Discs
« on: November 17, 2004, 12:14:00 PM »

I have a big collection of 5.1 music discs. Like this one:
http://www.dtsentertainment.com/sellsheet-...pc=710215441429

These are normal CDs (not DVDs), but contain 5.1 audio tracks encoded in DTS.

Is there a way to play these disks in XBMC? on XBOX at all (using different application) ?  <

RocafellaSqualie

• Archived User
5.1 Music Discs
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 07:41:00 PM »

My friend has a couple of these "Super Audio" Discs. I tried a few of them & they won't play in my Xbox neither. But there are so few of these discs that I don't think it'll ever be support for these discs in XBMC (maybe I could be wrong)  <

nectar12

• Archived User
5.1 Music Discs
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 09:16:00 PM »

you should be able to play dts discs.. just like you could watch dvd movies in media center with the dts surround mix..
super audio is completely different and cant be played through an optical or spdif rca cable anyway.
the only prob you might run into is if you burned it to a cdr .. for some reason the xbox optical drives are picky sons a bitches with cdr;s.
 <

dwpoyner

• Archived User
5.1 Music Discs
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 11:12:00 PM »

point taken

This post has been edited by dwpoyner: Nov 19 2004, 07:31 AM <

SpeshulEd

• Archived User
5.1 Music Discs
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2004, 11:24:00 PM »

just for the sake of argument, not to cause waves or anything, i do have a 5.1 dts cdr, so they do exist.  its homemade disc of the flaming lips zaireeka cds, only instead of 4 discs on 4 stereos, its in dts 5.1 - works perfectly on my dvd player, never tried on my xbox.  <

nectar12

• Archived User
5.1 Music Discs
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2004, 11:26:00 PM »

they are actually cd's .... its just you have to play it in a dvd player cause a cd player isnt gonna support dts... ..  <

nectar12

• Archived User
5.1 Music Discs
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2004, 11:28:00 PM »

SpeshulEd ya beat me  ;)   <

nectar12

• Archived User
5.1 Music Discs
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2004, 12:36:00 AM »

just tried playing one in xbmc.. it was an original disc.. wouldnt play right.. seems like it should though  <

jboss

• Archived User
5.1 Music Discs
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2004, 04:41:00 PM »

From what I've read, the problem is that XBMC allows dts streams encoded at 48khz (DVD) to be passed through to the stereo for decoding, but it doesn't allow dts streams at 44.1khz to be passed through. This has been mentioned to the devs on many occasions, but I honestly don't know what they're going to do about it if anything.  <

JayDee

• Archived User
5.1 Music Discs
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2004, 05:10:00 PM »

Play them from xbox hdd or from a pc share.

Xbmc cant handle 5.1 audio cd´s/dvs.

This program is free...

You use it for free...

We do not get paid for all the hours spent on it (and we, all in the team, are well over a few 1000 hours each spent efficently on xbmc(not counting hours using it))

Remarks like
from what I've read, the problem is that XBMC allows dts streams encoded at 48khz (DVD) to be passed through to the stereo for decoding, but it doesn't allow dts streams at 44.1khz to be passed through. This has been mentioned to the devs on many occasions, but I honestly don't know what they're going to do about it if anything.
do not go  into the file of quality feedback.

Again, we do this on our spare time
We do not get anything for the hours spent on it...  <

jmarshall

• Archived User
5.1 Music Discs
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2004, 05:38:00 PM »

The restriction on 48kHz is not on XBMC's part - it's a hardware restriction on the xbox.  The xbox cannot output anything other than a 48kHz 2 channel PCM stream on it's digital output.  A 48kHz DTS or AC3 stream can be padded and output via a 2 channel PCM stream.

The only thing that can be done for 44.1kHz AC3 or DTS is for it to be decoded and re-encoded to AC3.

Currently, the cd playing portion of XBMC does not support dts or ac3 audio decoding.

Do as Jaydee says and copy it to your harddisk, renaming to *.dts or *.ac3.  It will then decode, re-encode to AC3 and you'll get your surround sound.

If you are interested in the audio path used internally in XBMC, see the online manual at

http://manual.xboxmediacenter.de

<