xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Xenon Rebooting Aftr Xbr  (Read 93 times)

gojuryu1916

• Archived User
Xenon Rebooting Aftr Xbr
« on: October 25, 2010, 12:37:00 PM »

alright,...some of the regulars that work on the site have most likely received emails lately since i have gone through and posted and searched out quite a bit.  I have looked at xenon freezing, xenon rebooting, noob questions, jtag troubleshooting and posted before with links about red-green Christmas lights.  

ready:
Now for those of you who know what i have done, though i dont know how you would being this is so expansive of a site,

start:
I booted the xbox and then hooked up my tiao lpt jtag device and retrieved several dumps from my nand and then i installed xell and tapered my efuse resister and flipped my diodes in place accordingly. yes i am with a xenon with a pre-nxe dashboard and kenral is a good-go.  I then looked at my cb and it was right on brother followed by my nand dump compare and i had almost all identical nand dumps except where i was a douce-bag.  bad blocker man said he saw nothing wrong on the dumps that were identical.

anyway, then i tried several times to boot into xell and get my cpu and i think i may have inserted my kv and config into it. i do not know if that makes a difference negative or positive.

OOMG!:

waited three months and then decided if i hooked up my other dvd drive what would happen and then i have a big blue screen with little whit letters and a lot of squigly artifacts. now i loaded my xbr.bin that i prepared a while back and looking at what my memory has remembered, i may have installed my kv and config in preparaion of getting my xell and cpu key soon; but any how.  that didn't work so i copied the file again and inserted my kv and config and then renamed it to xenon.bin and wrote it and then i plug it in after hot-swapping the lpt port and usb cord away and then it boots and after 10 secs my screen froze> BTW it loads nxe dashboard.

With my screen frozen i turn it off.  then  turn it back on because i have black eyed peas in my ear, and it again freezes with a partial of the xbox logo starting to spin on screen.  it 2red light's me 0011 or overheating of the gpu.  whatever,.....i let it cool off and do research (scratch my naval or my scalp i dont remember which) in the mean time, because why would i go own tired noobs at 2 am?

after letting it cool off and i have a huge fan on it like white on rice. also the fans go 110% when their is sufficient air flow so ....with that in mind of it saying that it is overheating.

then reboot and it asks to update the console to the same as my profile and i agree, then it tells me it is unable to update, then is states do you want to update and i say yes again and it almost updates since it is super quick like a fiend and it reboots and repeats what i did for three more times before it freezes itself.

it does better if i use the oem dvd drive versus the stock dvd drive.  

Here is the summary:

To the best of my interpretation and knowledge of the fellow individuals here t xbox-scenyx it is to y understanding that i either have a bad write; meaning either that i have inserted a bad kv or bad config into the xbr and loaded it or i have a bad xbr file and it needs to die.  I can list all the information that i have for a better or more definite grasp...please let me know.

either or i would like to get this issue out and about so that other people that i know that are having this issue can get a better idea of what is wrong with their console and get this crap fixed.  what do you say and how do you do? or is it how do i or we proceed?  I wish us all many luck in our endeavors and goals so oorah.

gojuryu1916

• Archived User
Xenon Rebooting Aftr Xbr
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 04:49:00 PM »

update!.

I didn't know it was supposed to actually load when you start your blue screen! i have the cpu code but it states it is waiting to load and i do not have a clue what to do about that...........

.....that would explain some stuff. um,...RDC! i need help! just kidding anybody will be helpful wight now...omggosssh.....it explains how i can log on for longer periods of time if i don't have any usb ports plugged versus one or more.  any help would be super....any at all

also it goes to the same dashboard if i press the eject button; idk if that is need to know or not.

The more and more i look, I don't know what i should have loaded to my console. so a question to ask is does anybody have a good input on what i need to look for in a firmware? how do i know it's good, how do i know if my current predicament s firmware related problem? this is frustrating

This post has been edited by gojuryu1916: Oct 26 2010, 12:15 AM

majik655

• Archived User
Xenon Rebooting Aftr Xbr
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 05:33:00 PM »

Wow that is a lot and reading through your comic statements doesn't help too much but I understand how this can make you crazy.

One way to make sure you have everything correct is to RE FLASH the ORIGINAL NAND back to the console.
With the original nand back on the console, you also NEED to have the ORIGINAL dvd drive in it.  If your dvd drive is flashed that will be ok, as long as it worked BEFORE the jtag.

So basically what I am telling you is to flash back to original, and put it back like it was BEFORE the jtag.  Do not use a hard drive.

If all is well on your original nand, and everything is back in it like before the jtag, your xbox should boot properly.

If it does not boot properly then you know your original nand was corrupt.  Its that simple.

You should of course use 1 of the 2 100% MATCHING nand dumps you got before the jtag process.

Do all of this without the HARD DRIVE just to reason out a bad corrupted hard drive.   Your xbox will still boot without the hard drive even if it is original.

I understand you may have done this but I do not think you stated that, it was a lot of jargon to read through.

If you flash back to original (you MAY have to remove the jtag portion of the wiring to boot original) and it does not boot, you have a bad nand dump, and from there I do not know what to tell you, because if you have a bad nand dump your rawkv.bin may be bad.

I am just curious if your original works or not, as long as you have not touched it, it should.

Also I could not tell but are you using just a lpt port or a spi usb flasher?

Incase you do not know the order of events you take from beginning this is a rough guide...

1. read nand, get at least 2 100% matching nand dumps, they have to be matching!

2. get rawkv.bin from nand on console

3. get rawconfig.bin from console, do not flash this however there really is not a need for it and has caused issues on a number of consoles.  I still get it just to have it, but I have never flashed it.

4. flash xell for your motherboard, this is a quick flash, it only flashes the beginning of your nand on the console.  DO NOT FLASH XELL WITH YOUR RAWKV AS THAT MAKES NO SENSE and can very well corrupt everything

5. boot xell, get cpu key

6. use erase command on nand on console

7. flash console with xbr

8. flash your rawkv.bin onto the new xbr image on your console

9. boot xbr you should boot to what looks like a NORMAL dashboard, however you will notice the kernel has changed to 8955, this means you were successful and your xbox is now jtagged.

If you deviate from any of this it could cause issues.

Never accept updates until you understand what they are....you could render your jtag useless if it is a wrong update.

This post has been edited by majik655: Oct 26 2010, 12:51 AM

gojuryu1916

• Archived User
Xenon Rebooting Aftr Xbr
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 08:38:00 PM »

OH!, oh! nobody said to erase the command after cpu key is retrieved! So how would i do that?

and i placed the diodes before i placed the xell in there; So the question here would be do i need to take out my diodes to replace the original dump? or leave them in?  I have just realized that i must have had a senior moment and soldered the diodes backwards.

also not to mention, i know what is good and what is not on the nand dump so that is helpful because i had some doubts for a second...

The rest ( points to himself) is in my head.

Yes this has been a major headache; especially with understanding how to use our machine code with a 101 crash course.  

The printer port is a Tiao lpt flasher that is buffered with a safe 3.3v as i am told.

I didn't think that hard drive makes a difference but it does help when you go diagnose what is wrong with the unit you are in current observance of.  

So i will try that and get back and then when all is said and done i will create a byline with all the people that have helped me and give a "hit the ground running" type of run-down like you just did. Thanks

majik655

• Archived User
Xenon Rebooting Aftr Xbr
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 10:31:00 PM »

To do a full nand erase...

nandpro lpt: -e16 0 400

This has never been a MUST but for some reason, some including myself have seen things just work when it is done.  Really if you ask me, it does not make sense why it would make anything work any better since you supposedly re-write everything over the xell/orig nand image anyway.

So when you flash xell onto the nand holding the original nand image, it just flashes xell to the beginning of it...so your nand chip now has all of xell in the very beginning and basically some of your original nand...of course if  your jtag wiring is not connected, your xbox will not boot correctly because it is missing the beginning parts of the nand, because xell is there...

Anyway reflashing xbr over that image and then flashing your rawkv.bin in that seems to sometimes corrupt the chip image overall, the erase command worked for me like 1 time on a stubborn jtag, from there on I just have done it since.

after the erase flash your xbr no need to disconnect xbox from  pc or anything, just use the right command...

Xbr3 has xell included in it, but I do it the longer way i guess..(seems more stable)

I do not use any usb flasher or anything, hell it is just a lpt port in the back of my pc, you are confusing me when you say you have a Tiao lpt flasher I don't know what that is, and that does worry me a bit when trying to help you .... hopefully it is just your lpt port in your pc, maybe it is a card, either way it is seeming to work (maybe)...hopefully it is not corrupting anything..and writing correctly.

Yes the diodes being backwards matters A LOT in which case you really should not be able to boot either xell, NOR xbr  they both NEED the jtag portion of the wiring to be facing correctly black band toward motherboard.

If these were wrong when booting xell OR xbr then for sure that is your problem.

otherwise I do the following,

1. install lpt wiring
2. also install jtag wiring
3. read nand
4. read rawkv.bin and rawconfig.bin
5. flash xell for motherboard version.
6. boot xbox to get cpu key from xell
7. erase nand
8. flash xbr3
9. flash rawkv.bin
10. boot xbox - successul boot means xbr is installed with 8955 dashboard kernel.

I know I really just repeated myself, but I added.... I wire everything up first.. and then do the read/writing

Anyway reply back with your questions.

This post has been edited by majik655: Oct 26 2010, 05:38 AM

gojuryu1916

• Archived User
Xenon Rebooting Aftr Xbr
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 11:25:00 PM »

There is something that happened after i started the jtag...it started overheating...is that the jtag work then? so it should release if i pull out the cables then? i hope so...i reflashed the original and it does not have the start up video intro but it does get to the dashboard before it freezes and black screens...please let me know your thoughts...continue with the xell install next? or reflash the orig without the diodes or???? where do i place the diodes in the guide you listed there? that seem more simple to follow for he sake of your sanity.

majik655

• Archived User
Xenon Rebooting Aftr Xbr
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 11:52:00 PM »

Ok I am confused what you are asking?

If you have xbr flashed with your rawkv.bin also injected.  

Then all you need is your jtag wiring installed.   Install them it is what 3 wires. (2 with diodes 1 jumper)
just make sure your diodes  black band side is soldered to the motherboard.

If your flash is correct, then it will boot xbr.

If it does not report what is happening.

The fans turning fast could be a rrod, this is usually because now you have lifted the board out some people lift the board out of the case using the heat sinks to pull up on, it is possible this has happened...the fans are overworking because the heat sink is not cooling the cpu correctly, this is probably because it is not sitting the way it should be.  (this is very picky)  it is possible you may have to do a xclamp fix at some point.

SO, in the long run, to troubleshoot this....if the above does not work...
you can reflash back to original nand... I would again erase the nand before flashing original nand.

The original nand is holding your correct keyvault so no need to flash anything but your original nand.
Once this is flashed remove your jtag wiring.  and boot your xbox.  it should if all is well, boot your original dashboard.  Again keep the hard drive off for now until all is fine.

During this whole process the lpt wiring, can stay on, it is just the jtag portion that should probably be removed.  But again this is for the original nand.  EVERYTHING else needs the jtag wires installed for them to BOOT.

another note... when booting xell you I believe need to use component cable, I am pretty sure hdmi will not work.  Just a note to think about, just in case (don't know your whole setup)

Pictures of your wiring may also help.  This way I can for sure know where you are at in the process.

:::EDIT:::

Sorry I just re read your post and realized you stated you did flash back to original and you still get a frozen screen.
there are some scenarios it could be....

1.  Corrupted original nand...  does this original nand that you reflashed act the same way as your xbr does?  If they act the same then this could be an issue.   I am not sure this really is the issue, since they boot up with out error.  Keep reading..

2.  box is rrod'ing   if the fans are really turning fast when it freezes then it is VERY possible your box needs the xclamp fix or that type of fix.  The heat sink is not seated properly, this is very common, especially after going in and removing the motherboard from the casing.  THIS COULD BE YOUR ISSUE.

3.  Hard drive corrupt???  possible reformat needed??  Not sure about this one, have not had this happen to me but I guess it could be a possibility.

4.  Something else is bad on motherboard....maybe when soldering?? maybe like a short or something to that effect?? AGAIN NOT SURE ABOUT THIS EITHER.  But again I guess it could be a possibility.  Only you can rule this out in the end.

If you had ANY errors while reading....even though 2 nand reads are matching...even with errors, that means those errors are bad blocks.  If you had these 1 or 2 errors while reading the nand, and 2 nands have the same couple of errors and total commander say they match, then those bad blocks may need to be moved on the nand image... this you will have to research...but depending on where these bad blocks were located in the nand depends on what happens and how far it goes on boot up.

However your original nand should have those bad blocks already in the right spots, and the reflash should have fixed all, so it is sort of pointing towards a box that is over heating and rrod'ing

This post has been edited by majik655: Oct 26 2010, 07:05 AM

gojuryu1916

• Archived User
Xenon Rebooting Aftr Xbr
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 01:12:00 AM »

OKAY!, i have yet to post photos, but will soon, i promise.  the tiao is a name of maker for the printer port jtagger.  it is setup to take the voltage from a mini-usb connection and buffer it to the console at 3.3v so it does not hurt it.  

Now with the erasing of the nand chip,
 reflashing the nand orig.bin,
 installing xell,
obtaining the cpu key,
reading the kv,
 erasing the nand chip back to zero,
 installing xenon_8955 from xbins.org website,
 flashing rawkv.bin.

It's all good.  i checked everything along the way and can tell you that when i flashed xbr and tried to boot xell it would not and the dashboard itself it nxe and the K: reads 20.7371.0

I forget if that is the krnal i had when i started this or not

To be definite of what booted at the appropriate times, i looked and saw;
after reinstaling the original nand dump - It booted normally even though it didn't show original blade dashboard

after installing xell - it booted xell edited- i only installed xell by itself and it only booted xell

after erasing xell and writing xbr from xbins.org - it booted xell in black and white but it still ran.

After injecting rawkv back into the console ontop of the xbr in there already - no xell booting and same dashboard ( i have pics on the link there...)

here is a link...i got lazy and wanted you to have a looksee now instead of later. webpage  I hope that you don't stalk me because i will get even, i don't want to go there...anyway this is this and that was that...let me know your thoughts...do i need a different xbr version? or what? well there are the results and i hope we are on a good pace...better than what i was, thanks a bunch.

EDIT:
How would i go about looking for info on updating, maintaining, and changing my booter? well, for instance my xbr is probably old or im guessing it is and it is before xbr3 was released or am i understanding wrong? are they the same? the loader would be nice to know now, but everything else, i can look up later as the priority is number 2.

I will see later about masking myself to go online to perform lobbies for my friends, but nothing fancy or money claim worthy i asure you.  so i won't bother you with that or how to hold a lobby as a definite unless you post if i need to post about it, haha but it is number 3 in command. thanks again for all the useful information.  i appreciate it a lot.

This post has been edited by gojuryu1916: Oct 27 2010, 08:29 AM

majik655

• Archived User
Xenon Rebooting Aftr Xbr
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 05:39:00 AM »

after installing xell - it booted xell edited- i only installed xell by itself and it only booted xell

after erasing xell and writing xbr from xbins.org - it booted xell in black and white but it still ran

after flashing xbr it booted xell??

Well that should not have happened.    xbr3  came with xell IN it.... but to boot xell while using xbr3 you use a wired controller that is plugged into the back of the xbox, OR I think  you can power on the xbox with the eject button and it would boot xell.

If you flashed xbr and the dashboard stated 7371 then you have installed a old version of xbr ?? its the only thing I can think of. (or it is loading your original)

It did not load nxe dashboard because you did not have your hard drive installed.  (maybe that is why it is 7371 since the nxe is 8955?)   maybe put your hard drive in now and see what happens??

and power your  xbox on with the on button not the eject button, or controller button.

get xbr3.

gojuryu1916

• Archived User
Xenon Rebooting Aftr Xbr
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 01:44:00 PM »

HAI!

let me see if i can get this timeline framework of explaining down right.

when i booted the xell (just xell) and retrieved the cpu key.

erased that (it does not want to erase without the av cable plugged in so i just left it in for sake of sanity for everything now)

then with the freshly wiped nand chip on-board, i wrote my copy of xbr and yes it does seem old because he kernal before i started writing was pre-nxe and somewhere way before the 7371 kernal.  

When it finished writing my fresh downloaded xbr to the console i was able to boot into xell with the eject button, and xbr with the power button or controller.*(see below to see where i corrected my error, please)

after i had installed xbr, I did try to boot xbr and i went into an error of like e64 and it would not boot past the welcome channel. so i went and loaded the kv direct to the console like stated before.

then wouldn't boot into xell anymore.  and i posted back here to see if i was still doing good on my work with the flashing.  guess not and i had thought i wasn't but here we go.

*-Now when i stated that i booted into xell in black and white, i did not mention that i was booting with the depression of the eject button.  i was turning the console on with the eject button to try to boot xell.

Where do i find XBR3...it sounds more stable than xbreboot, haha. ... i do have auto-bins as well if that is how you get your downloads.

Thanks again.  After this it would be wrong for me to not make a post on how to jtag for the first time.  LOL

majik655

• Archived User
Xenon Rebooting Aftr Xbr
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 05:10:00 PM »

Well first off you should not have to have ANYTHING plugged into the motherboard when flashing other than the power cord.   YOU DO NOT TURN ON THE XBOX WHEN FLASHING OR READING!

So NEEDING the video cable plugged in does NOT make sense at all, and could be some sort of issue there.
I have NEVER heard of needing to do this.  BUT I do not use a usb spi flasher either.   I have again not heard of needing to do this EVEN with a usb spi flasher....so something seems strange there.

Now xbr3 = xbreboot 3.0    same as xbreboot (however no 3)

So you get xbr3 from xbins (use auto xbins)  it is there for YOUR motherboard.

If you are booting to a different dashboard than 8955 then you have an old version. (unless this is what it says when you do not have your hard drive installed?? again I plug in the hard drive...we just told you to do it without it for now.)  But if your dashboard kernel DID change then that IS xbr installed.

So... EARLIER versions of xbr did not have xell IN IT.   that is why you can get xell all by itself....
then xbr3 came out (it has xell IN IT) and allowed us to boot xell using the eject button, wired controller..etc etc... it was just one less step in the flashing process...  I just like doing it the old way.

Anyway YOU GOT YOUR CPU KEY... that is good.... you are fine there.
You got your rawkv.bin (hopefully that is fine)
you have 2 matching original nands... that is great.

That is all you need in case something goes wrong...very wrong.

So ALL you should have to do....is ...

Flash xbr3 for your motherboard to the nand.
when that is done....do not exit nandpro or anything....just add the command to write your rawkv.bin file....

then remove the xbox from the pc....

Make sure your jtag wiring is on... (2 diode wires, 1 jumper wire)  

Put your hard drive on,

boot xbox.

Tell me what happens next.  (not what HAS happened, but right now after you do all I have just said.)

IF you get an error....do not do anything else, as it makes things more confusing.

On xbins (where you should get everything)  get file name:  XBR_Xenon_8955_3.zip
unzip it ....rename the file inside to xbr3.bin   then flash that file.

This post has been edited by majik655: Oct 28 2010, 12:21 AM

gojuryu1916

• Archived User
Xenon Rebooting Aftr Xbr
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2010, 07:19:00 PM »

okay, simple planing it

i went and did what you listed... i plugged only the power and the wires to the pc.  i had flashed the xbr3 to the nand followed directly after, etc., etc.

When i disconnected from the pc and so forth; booted the console like you listed and i came back with the error E65 with a secondary error matching that: 1001.  the fans do spin faster and that is all. that is the report back.  

majik655

• Archived User
Xenon Rebooting Aftr Xbr
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2010, 07:22:00 PM »

QUOTE(gojuryu1916 @ Oct 27 2010, 06:19 PM) View Post

okay, simple planing it

i went and did what you listed... i plugged only the power and the wires to the pc.  i had flashed the xbr3 to the nand followed directly after, etc., etc.

When i disconnected from the pc and so forth; booted the console like you listed and i came back with the error E65 with a secondary error matching that: 1001.  the fans do spin faster and that is all. that is the report back.

E65: DVD Drive Error - Dvd drive is not DMA configured :Wrong firmware, dvd is without f/w chip, etc. This can also be caused by the tray not being fully closed on boot.

Well this is interesting....

boot it WITHOUT the dvd drive connected....see if the error goes away...

never seen this error before really....what gets me is why would the jtag or xbr care if the dvd drive is damaged...as you do not need a dvd drive to even use it.    hmmmm    

try without dvd drive.... not sure if you are out of the woods yet...but if it boots fine without dvd drive...then obviously its your dvd drive causing a problem.

gojuryu1916

• Archived User
Xenon Rebooting Aftr Xbr
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2010, 08:21:00 PM »

okay, it did go away, but the fans did go hot and the video did freeze...it boots normally and then if i try to do anything graphics related, like a demo or even look at the selection it freezes and black screens me. It did stop running the fans hot and red-ringing.  the middle light on the r-o-l chip blinks the whole time.  i don't know if that were to be worth mentioning...that's all i have to tell right now.

majik655

• Archived User
Xenon Rebooting Aftr Xbr
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2010, 08:33:00 PM »

Dude... I am just not sure now.

So what does your dashboard kernel version say it is....   it should say 8955   is that correct.

IF it says ANYTHING other than 8955 and you are SURE you used that xbr3 that you just downloaded from xbins...then something is surely wrong...

If it says 8955 then I again am not sure if the yellow light is supposed to blink or not ...I have not heard of that happening...but that does not mean it doesn't...it might.

If the dashboard says it is 8955 then you are fine....now you have to deal with trying to figure out why it is freezing.    

This freezing can be ANYTHING on the motherboard... BUT you primarily should look at doing a xclamp fix to see if it gets better.    if the xclamp fix does not work...it could be anything...it could be the hana chip, it could be about anything.  

anyway  what is the dashboard version?

And are you 100% sure you have a xenon motherboard?

::EDIT::
I have researched a LITTLE and it seems bad blocks could cause this issue.

When you were reading the nand did you have errors?
then you read it a second time ...did that have errors also?
then you compared those 2 nands (that may have had errors) did they match?  Even though there were errors?
How many errors?

My point is....
some nands come from the factory with bad blocks... these are blocks in the nand that are bad....
now normal original nand images work AROUND these bad blocks....  you can think of them like holes in the chip the data goes around....

These bad blocks (should only be like a few or so) are ok...as long as the image you put on your nand ALSO work around these bad blocks.

So if you have bad blocks ...you would get say 1 error while reading.... then the second time you read it...you would get the SAME ERROR in the EXACT SAME SPOT...then you compare them and they match.
That means you SURELY have a bad block,...

In which case if you DO have a bad block.. or blocks...  the xbr image that you flash ALSO has to work AROUND these bad blocks....   this means you have to modify the xbr image to work around them...
you will have to research how to MOVE bad blocks...

I have a link here... but I can not HELP you with it because I have never had to deal with bad blocks...hopefully this can help you... ONLY if this sounds like what has happened...

CLICK HERE: HOW TO MOVE BAD BLOCKS

This post has been edited by majik655: Oct 28 2010, 03:50 AM
Pages: [1] 2