xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Newbie Questions For Jtag Consoles  (Read 58 times)

Aksh0le

• Archived User
Newbie Questions For Jtag Consoles
« on: March 11, 2010, 04:45:00 PM »

01) If I purchased a console with JTAG, XBR3, XELL, and FREE60 already installed, would that be all I need to play?

Yes it would, but to help understand better Freeboot(free60) is only for a cygnos chip installed solution capable of having a dual nand setup, XBR works as a single nand solution.

02) Do I have to flash a JTAG with the latest iXTREME in order to play Verbatim backups? That wouldn't matter since I could play my ISO's off of an EXTERNAL HDD correct?

You would still need to have the drive flashed for reading backups/dual layer disks to be able to install games to the internal/external hard drive with xexmenu.

03) Using one GAMERTAG, would I still be able to switch between a JTAG console and a stock/unmodified console without raising any red flags with LIVE?

It would be recommended to have just a dummy gamertag for the jtag as you said some emulators have achievements they dont get loaded to live when the gamertag goes online but still not good anyway imo.

04) When playing backups from a EXTERNAL HDD and the 360 HDD, can they be installed from original discs directly to the HDD using the install option, as well as stealthed ISO's? How does that work?

Both, you can use either method to install the game to the hdd. There are tools to make the installed xbox dashboard games into GOD packages which will run without the disk from the dashboard. For xexmenu installed games you can make a quickboot file to create a shortcut to the game(as I have read but I've never used it myself so someone could correct me if I am wrong)

05) Do any external HDD's or USB Drives need to be formatted a certain way to work with JTAG 360's or are they automatically read when formatted using a PC?

They need to be formatted as FAT32.

06) If it's not too much, can someone post a link to a good Beginner's Guide, in Layman's terms, on understanding JTAG that I would need in order to just get started?

JTAG's can pretty much read unsigned code and the sky is the limit. Game modding is 100% possible because the files are no longer signed MS code. I dont have a link to better understand them but these forums have alot of information about them.

thwack

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 07:31:00 AM »

QUOTE(NZBhero @ Mar 12 2010, 12:03 AM) View Post
Thank you so much Aksh0le. That was an extremely fast reply and you answered all of my questions to the best of my understanding. But I have a couple of new questions.

Nand is a new term I haven't heard of. I will do some homework on that.

07) Is having dual NANDS like having dual operating systems on a PC? Would I have to choose between FREE60 and XBR? If so, what are the pros and cons?

08) XBR is a rebooting application for soft reboots correct?

09) Isn't XELL like an operating system that runs programs and explores the HDD?

07) Dual NANDs - the NAND is the onboard flash memory that stores the kernel. Having a dual nand means you can swap from one nand to the other - ie from XBR to Freeboot etc. At the moment, the cheapest and most supported way (and the way I'd recommend) is single onboard NAND using XBR.

Having a dual NAND will cost you, and if you're not used to soldering is more of a pain than just doing the onboard XBR route.

08) XBR basically runs from the exploited bootloader. This is a modified 8995 kernel utilising 'virtual' blown efuse sets, allowing the 8995 to boot with the old bootloader - and thus old efuse sets. It wil allow unsigned code to run on the 360

09) Xell is a Linux loader. It also is on the NAND with XBR (booted by booting the 360 via eject).

gojuryu1916

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 11:55:00 AM »

OKE, sooo....xell is apart of xbr and is in essence a back door to the memory and is a barebones version of xbr so that you can make adjustments as needed in case you have a fuck-up moment. right?

and freeboot is just another os and you can load as many operating systems as you want at a cost?

with that in mind. the reason my xenon is rebooting until it so-called overheats is because i didn't load the xell then xbr correctly? and could load a different os and it would solve the problem? perhaps this xbr flash is another operating system version available? please correct me if im wrong; i do want to be able to understand to the best of my ability and give back to this community for once. haha....um,...thank you for your time.