xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Another Rrod Xbox 360.......  (Read 247 times)

[email protected]

• Archived User
Another Rrod Xbox 360.......
« on: November 01, 2009, 04:22:00 AM »

I'm 90% sure the 3 red lights are coming on because you haven't got the heat sinks touching the CPU /GPU close enough. Try tightening the crews a little bit and if you can't you may have to sand the metal frame down and add another washer to each screw. Also, did you replace the conductive past on the CPU / GPU properly? Use Arctic silver 5 if you haven't and clean the chips until you can see a reflection in them. You need to overheat the main board as well, with everything but the heat sinks removed. The let it cool down after 2 red lights appear.

[email protected]

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 04:33:00 AM »

Ohh and don't stick you xbox in the oven. It will fry the other components on your motherboard. Reflowing will also cost more than your xbox to get done.

Trebz

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 05:07:00 AM »

Thanks guys.........

I stripped down the Xbox again and re checked all my work.

The xclamp screws seem ok.

I used Arctic Silver 5.

I have the Xbox powered on with only the power lead connected, it's been sat there for abot 15 minutes and it isn't getting warm, no heat from the heatsinks or anything.

Three flashing lights look cool though hehe.

I may just throw the thing in the bin. I have to say after reading about the 360....it's a pile of garbage hehehe

How you guys manage i din't know.

:-)

Any further suggestions...??

Also, if i have the fans connected they spin up when i apply power then stop...

The power supply brick shows an orange light.....

Trebz

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 05:25:00 AM »

Still sat there....three red lights...heatsinks as cold as my girlfriends heart.......

Trebz

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 06:32:00 AM »

Yup...you guessed it hehe

It's still sat there powered up and it's stone cold.

I connected the DVD ROM to see if any power was passing through to it. When press the eject button nothing happens.

So, power is getting to the three red lights but nothing else it appears.

Guess i'll turn it off now.

Ranger72

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 07:01:00 AM »

Some consoles just cant be fixed. Save $199 and get a new Jasper Arcade 360.

Trebz

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 08:42:00 AM »

Okey Dokey Fella's.

I connected the power and Video signal cable and turned her on, powered up as usual with the three red lights flashing......

Stone Cold. It's been sat there for a good 20 minutes now.

Trebz

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 12:32:00 PM »

Hi again

I just pinched the girlfriends hairdryer and sat with it on full over the two heatsinks....for ten minutes...

Nothing....no change...still three flashing lights.....

Hhmm.....

kipper2k

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 02:35:00 PM »

QUOTE(Trebz @ Nov 1 2009, 09:21 AM) View Post

Hi all

Im usually found lurking around in the Xbox MK1 forums, some of you may have seen my posts.

Anyhoo... I took the plunge and bought an Xbox 360, broken showing two red lights.

I bought an X-Clamp kit and completed the installation.... now the Xbox shows three red lights.

After completing a little research i found out that i would have to 'Re Flow' the solder on the motherboard.

Apparently you stick it in the oven but i can't find a suitable guide for this, i need temperatures etc.

I can work wonders with the original Xbox but im a complete Noob with the 360.

Thanks all.

Trebz

Heres the problem with buying used 360's.  You see a 360 advertised for sale with 2 red lights, you think "Great, its only overheating, i can reseat the heat sinks and be back in business".  The Problem is a lot of people who sell these things have already tried to fix it when it had the RROD, gave up on it and then deliberately loosen the cpu or gpu clamp to force it to overheat and display 2 red lights, thereby selling it without having to state RROD etc. If you buy used then you take your chance and when you buy "as is" you have no recourse to complain. You really need to be careful when you buy as most of the people who are selling them are selling their "leftovers" to recoup some of their money. If youre lucky you may find a good one.

[email protected]

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 03:27:00 PM »

You don't need the video cable in for it to heat up. If its not getting hot within a min or two is not going to, sounds like there is a problem somewhere else. Is the power cable working correctly? You could try a different power cable but if that doesn't work then its your pretty much screwed. There is no point getting a heat gun and trying to reflow as there is no power going through the CPU / GPU, thus the reason why its not heating up. If all else fails at least you've learned a valuable lesson.. don't buy broken electronics from ebay..!

It's als a very bad idea to heat up the board using a heat gun / hair dryer / oven (haha)! Not only do you heat up the CPU / GPU which you are wanting to do but you also heat up the other components; capacitors, resistors, transistors. Without providing protection in the form of insulation / tin foil this can lead to you frying these components and cause permanent none repairable damage. This is why the towel trick is also bad for you system.

Deveant

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 03:57:00 PM »

QUOTE([email protected] @ Nov 1 2009, 11:27 PM) View Post

You don't need the video cable in for it to heat up. If its not getting hot within a min or two is not going to, sounds like there is a problem somewhere else. Is the power cable working correctly? You could try a different power cable but if that doesn't work then its your pretty much screwed. There is no point getting a heat gun and trying to reflow as there is no power going through the CPU / GPU, thus the reason why its not heating up. If all else fails at least you've learned a valuable lesson.. don't buy broken electronics from ebay..!

It's als a very bad idea to heat up the board using a heat gun / hair dryer / oven (haha)! Not only do you heat up the CPU / GPU which you are wanting to do but you also heat up the other components; capacitors, resistors, transistors. Without providing protection in the form of insulation / tin foil this can lead to you frying these components and cause permanent none repairable damage. This is why the towel trick is also bad for you system.

Mate, if i turn my 360 on with no Video cable plugged in the fans dont even turn on. On older boxes you get the 4 rings, newer ones, i get nothing, but none the less, without the video cable the xbox doesnt put any power the the CPU or GPU.

Also might want to loosen the screws a little bit, just see if it helps.

prmaster

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 08:26:00 PM »

Ok man hear me and prepare for disaster if for coincidence you did the same
thing i did, lol

Did you put the dvd power cable the right way??? I connected it the wrong way and
all the things you describe happended to me. It had the 3 red lights, you could let it
for hours and the heatsink would be stone cold, fan turned off after 5 seconds, etc

Then i did the trick and got the power cable the right way, it booted perfectly without
the 3 red rings, so it dint need the baking process.

But here the disaster, my dvd drive got bricked  grr.gif  it will not eject/open/read disc. one small error and i f*ucked
up a $300 machine (and i dont have the dvd drive key).

Oh well i hope you dont have the same fate  happy.gif

Trebz

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 11:58:00 PM »

Hi Fella's.

Thanks for all the advice, i have tried and re tried to get some life out of this pathetic Xbox 360.

I'll be sticking to my Xbox MK1 from now on hehehe

I only really bought the 360 to have a poke around inside, see how it's held together and to see why so many of them break.

I now know why so many people stay away from the Xbox 360.

It's going in the bin later today.

Again, thanks for the advice guy, im giving up on it now hehehehe

:-)

Trebz