xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Is There A Way To Tell What Drive You Have Without Opening The Xbox  (Read 82 times)

mattahammond

• Archived User

I just modded my xbox and now he wants to do his. Is there a way I can tell what drive he has before opening it? Also I thought someone made a table of MFD's to tell what drive was included. If so please post link and thank you.

Matta

frags

• Archived User
Is There A Way To Tell What Drive You Have Without Opening The Xbox
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 04:41:00 PM »

Try 360drives.com . Also if it's an older drive the trays were different, you can google "xbox 360 dvd drive identify" go to the first link and there are some pictures. But I think that will only work for the Hitachi and Samsung drives cause' the Benq's and Lite-ons look the same. Someone please correct me if that is wrong.

This post has been edited by frags: Oct 10 2009, 11:52 PM

mattahammond

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 04:59:00 PM »

Ok. Well I just flashed mine. My elite date is 7-7-2009 with a Lite-on drive 83850 and it was easy. He has a 5-27-2008 elite. I just didn't know if his would be easy like mine or not. It didn't take long for me to do mine.

frags

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 05:13:00 PM »

With that date it looks like it should be a BenQ or a 74850C lite-on. I've never done a BenQ although I have read you can do them with software similar to the way you did yours, but that version of Lite-on requires a probe or soldering.

Ranger72

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 07:49:00 PM »

With the 74850C you will need to build or buy an extractor to get the drive key before you will be able to flash it.

mattahammond

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 09:25:00 PM »

I know about the 74850C which I really don't want to mess with since I don't want to order parts, but I might end up doing it because I have some other friends that want me to mod their system as well.

Well I had him do the trick to where you can look in the peep hole to see the wires and he said he didn't have any visible to his knowledge. Mine was like that as well and it ended up being the Lite-on.

mattahammond

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 10:00:00 PM »

ok. Now he sees 2 white wires. So I guess that confirms it's a BenQ. And if you say it's easy like my liteon than I'll give it a try. Thanks.

PhoneyVirus

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 11:01:00 PM »

Liteon has the same tray as a BenQ, To confirm, you can pull the faceplate off, and on the right side of the dvd drive, there is an oval hole, if there is 2 yellow wires then it is a Liteon (see picture ), if the wires are white then it is a BenQ.