xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: I Get Lock Ups On Backups And Original Games With Ixtreme1.4_hitachi_c  (Read 255 times)

thr4773r

• Archived User

Might be your rip, might be the speed, could be cheap media for the faster lockups with backups. Try flashing again and see if the media behaves the same. Try burning again slower.

Good luck in the quest.

t

edit:
I see now, your originals are locking up too? laser may be weakening is a guess, the tweaker guys know more about that.

Martinchris23

• Archived User
I Get Lock Ups On Backups And Original Games With Ixtreme1.4_hitachi_c
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 02:30:00 AM »

It might be worth giving the laser lens a clean with a damp cotton bud (q-tip), in case it's unrelated. You may want to reflash your original firmware back to the drive so at least you've got a working baseline to go from.

devilstrider

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 03:58:00 PM »

well i flashed it back to the original firmware and forza 2 still freezes. Hmm tried 12x and it froze. About to try 5x. I noticed all my games loaded faster at 12x then 8x. So i expect them to load slower at 5x. well off i g to try again. Will keep you updated.

devilstrider

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 04:20:00 PM »

5x locked up on soul calibur 4. About to try forza 2.

devilstrider

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 04:36:00 PM »

guess i might order a samsung drive ans spoof it.

devilstrider

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 05:47:00 PM »

Well i tried everything and it still does it. Might buy another forza also 2 see if its a disc problem. Going to get a samsung drive in a week or 2.

danipukok

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 07:07:00 PM »

when you say locked up, are you getting disc read errors messages on screen or does the screen just freeze

if it freezes it's probably a premature RROD

Bearhug

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 01:48:00 AM »

Yer this doesn't sound like it has anything to do with flashing your FW.

As mentioned by others it sounds like either a faulty laser/reader (dirty or worn), or a premature RROD.  

How old is the console and has it been repaired for the RROD before?  If not, since you have your console open anyway you might want to try removing the x-clamp to help with heating issues, that are often the cause of the RROD.

devilstrider

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 04:20:00 AM »

QUOTE(Bearhug @ Aug 27 2008, 03:24 AM) View Post

Yer this doesn't sound like it has anything to do with flashing your FW.

As mentioned by others it sounds like either a faulty laser/reader (dirty or worn), or a premature RROD.  

How old is the console and has it been repaired for the RROD before?  If not, since you have your console open anyway you might want to try removing the x-clamp to help with heating issues, that are often the cause of the RROD.

I got it summer of 2006. Has not been repaired and never had a issue.

Martinchris23

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 09:06:00 AM »

Just a thought - do you have a HDD attached? If so, try playing the problematic games without it connected...

Martinchris23

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 03:29:00 PM »

QUOTE(devilstrider @ Aug 27 2008, 09:28 PM) View Post

Ok i tried it without the HDD. Played my original forza and put 12x firmware on it. I did 3 laps in free run and i noticed the system got a little louder but i think it was the drive. Then when i hit start to quit free run i got the dirty disc error. When i play a race and if it does not freeze in the race ill make it to the finish. When i finish it will freeze or give me the dirty disc error.  Going back to 8x firm because 12x is just to damn loud.

DDE's (and your laser/DVD is clean) are usually down to worn lasers. You may want to try reducing the pot value on your laser by 100-200 Ohms and see if that makes any difference.

8x won't affect the above, so don't feel you have to leave it at 12x.

devilstrider

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 04:25:00 PM »

Ok i just tried to run the soul calibur 4 demo again and it gave me the dirty disc error. I can play my live arcade games and the star wars force unleashed demo with no issues. Soul Calibur 4 is one of the games that also freezes. I get to like the 4th fight and it freezes. I froze the first day i got it and then it did not freeze again. Then i modded the xbox and it started locking up on the back up and the original.

Havok

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 05:05:00 PM »

I would try clearing the hard drive cache... stop messing with the firmware before you break something.

Flashing has nothing to do with the lockups you are experiencing.

devilstrider

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 07:28:00 PM »

Well i tried the cach and it's still doing it. Buying a new xbox soon anyway.

Bearhug

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 10:53:00 PM »

Yer 99% sure from what you are reporting that it's a laser issue.  RROD errors don't normally show up as DDE, pre RROD problems are usually just freezes (The picture freezes or the screen just goes black and the menu button etc doesn't work).

It doesn't sound like a cacheing issue either, as this wouldn't occur if the HDD is disconnected.

When a laser is on it's way out some games will be more fussy than others due to how they need info from the disk at certain times.  Games where the info is stored in different locations of the disk for what they are retrieving will show the worst problems.  It's not that the particualr game doesn't copy as well etc, its because of how the data is stored on the disk and called up by the game.  You'll find that the originals of those games will likely stuff up first as well.

In short if it's on it's way out anyway, I'd try one of the laser adjustment tutorials around the place.  Or you may want to wait until you get your new second 360.
Pages: [1] 2 3