xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox 360 Arcade Suggestions For Flash Modding  (Read 101 times)

subya

• Archived User
Xbox 360 Arcade Suggestions For Flash Modding
« on: May 04, 2008, 12:56:00 PM »

Hi, I have been browsing around here for the last 2 hours, and have read quite a bit. I am a PC gamer mainly, but I would like to buy a Xbox just to play GTA IV. However, I plan to keep it, and want to keep the option to mod it open in the future. I am planning on an Arcade, and I have a couple questions. Some of them might be typical noob questions, so please cut me some slack (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

1) I don't want to use any of the hard disk space. Are there any other disadvantages of an Arcade?

2) Which drive should I prefer? How would I identify which console has which drive? I know there are lists of drives and product IDs. Can someone link me to the product IDs for the Arcade version? Also, are there any drives which are "unmoddable"?

3) What's the worst case scenario of a failed modding attempt

Thanks!

Martinchris23

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 01:17:00 PM »

1. You cannot play any backwardly compatible Xbox games without a HDD. That's about it really.

2. Open the drive tray. There's a Lite-on which looks like a BenQ that's been spotted in refurbished units, but I don't think you'll see them be popular just yet.

3. Worst case scenario is that you resort your 360 to a DVD / Multimedia / Xbox Live Arcade player.

subya

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 01:21:00 PM »

Thanks! How can I identify which item has which drive looking at the box from outside? Also, which drive is easiest to flash?

Reaper527

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 01:59:00 PM »

QUOTE(subya @ May 4 2008, 05:05 PM) *

Thanks! How can I identify which item has which drive looking at the box from outside? Also, which drive is easiest to flash?

i don't think there is any fool proof way to figure out what drive is inside the box until you take it home (at which point you can power it up, hit eject, and look at the drive tray). you can look at this and see if you notice any patterns.

http://www.360drives.com/list

regardless, you are almost guaranteed to get a benQ drive. keep in mind that if you don't have a harddrive, you may not be able to play the gta4 downloadable content when it comes out in the fall, as it will more than likely be a bigger download than a memory card can hold. i personally would recommend spending the extra $70 for a premium (it will also come with hd cables)

benq is easy to flash, if you end up with a hitachi (long shot), it is possible to flash, but requires a modchip to put the drive in modeb.

the only way you will get an unmoddable system is if you are the first person to get one of the new lite-on drives out of an off the shelf retail box. (currently the drive has only been found in refurb systems coming from MS repair factories)

This post has been edited by Reaper527: May 4 2008, 09:01 PM

subya

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 04:31:00 PM »

Thanks. Can you guide me to the easiest (and latest) tutorial to flash the drive? I was reading Textbook's tutorial, and it looks complicated and XP-based.

Also, does Intel ICH9 support flashing of the drives?

Martinchris23

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 04:51:00 PM »

QUOTE(subya @ May 5 2008, 01:15 AM) *

Thanks. Can you guide me to the easiest (and latest) tutorial to flash the drive? I was reading Textbook's tutorial, and it looks complicated and XP-based.

Also, does Intel ICH9 support flashing of the drives?

In which case I'd locate someone in your area to do it for you. Textbook's guide is very concise and easy to follow. It should be used as a reference guide, not read from cover to cover. No point in looking at it until you know what drive you have!

subya

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 05:29:00 PM »

I gave it a thorough reading and seems easy enough. I was just thinking maybe there is a newer and updated way of doing it...

Since I haven't bought the console yet, I can choose my drive through the Team and Lot nos. I have already got the numbers for the Falcon version with BenQ drives. That should be good enough, right?

Havok

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008, 07:06:00 PM »

Its not an exact science.. but yes it should be a good predictor...

You will also need a VIA card to flash the BenQ.. your Intel chipset wont work.

Martinchris23

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 09:05:00 AM »

QUOTE(Havok @ May 5 2008, 03:50 AM) *

Its not an exact science.. but yes it should be a good predictor...

You will also need a VIA card to flash the BenQ.. your Intel chipset wont work.

Intel chipsets are supported by DOSFlash, as well as NForce (which is what I used to use).

For chipset compatibility, check the readme file which accompanys dosflash.

subya

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 09:52:00 AM »

ICH8 is supported, so I am assuming the newer ICH9 will be supported too?

Havok

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2008, 10:16:00 AM »

INTEL Chipsets are NOT supported for software flashing!!  Only VIA and NFORCE cards.

Yes DOSFlash itself is compatible with other chipsets if you want to Hardware Flash (VCC Trick).

I personally think the VCC trick is risky and not worth damaging the drive when a $15 VIA will work fine.

Scan-C

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2008, 11:31:00 AM »

Why is it risky? You cut the power to the eprom and connect it when the drivecontroller is in recovery state (because of no firmware). For someone who's confident with the soldering iron and only flashing one drive the switch is the best method.

Havok

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2008, 11:42:00 AM »

QUOTE(Scan-C @ May 5 2008, 03:15 PM) *

For someone who's confident with the soldering iron and only flashing one drive the switch is the best method.

In newbie chat I think that is more rare than common.  The OP said the textbook tutorial sounded complicated.  Many.. many "newbs" have damaged the drive controller when attempting the VCC trick by not using a real switch and just shorting the ground for too long.

Scan-C

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2008, 12:55:00 PM »

You only short the ground on Hitachi drives.On BenQ and Samsung you just disconnect the power from the eprom before powering on the drive. I leave the wires connected all the time so I can easily rip them apart when I need to reflash.

As for soldering in the newbie section... Seen some odd things here (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Someone who doesn't understand basic tutorials but repairs a totally messed up pcb in seconds.

Havok

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2008, 04:55:00 PM »

See... I learned something.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/gift.gif)  I never used the VCC trick.. but its good to know its safe for MS28 and BenQ.

This post has been edited by Havok: May 5 2008, 11:56 PM