xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Wicked Xbmc Remote  (Read 207 times)

ahoatam

• Archived User
Wicked Xbmc Remote
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2004, 01:19:00 PM »

Nice work.  I'm glad to see some others are getting into JP1.  When I get home, I'll look at your xml to see if there is anything I want to move to my URC-8910!

Question: Do you use a reciever/amp?  If so, why don't youhave the volume dedicated on a punch-through?

I only wish the remote dongles supported on/off... sigh...

Then my ass could be truly lazy.

Once again, good work.  Between modding boxes and JP1, users can have incredible custom systems for very little dough.

ahoatam

• Archived User
Wicked Xbmc Remote
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2004, 07:38:00 PM »

The special switchplate/led dongle thing for the X3 is supossed to have an IR reciever on it.  Can't wait to play with that too.  It's pretty satisfying to know that no matter what, we've got remotes that are compatible.  So very cool.

S1ack

• Archived User
Wicked Xbmc Remote
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2004, 10:27:00 AM »

I recommend this, or any remote by Harmony.

As your collection of gear grows, this one can really keep pace. Expensive, but worth it.

Remote Central Review

user posted image

seven5

• Archived User
Wicked Xbmc Remote
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2004, 10:30:00 AM »

QUOTE (Loto_Bak @ Sep 14 2004, 07:11 AM)
Nice one sev... yeah thats a nice remote although the colours drive me insane!

As far as that wacked out xbox remote... wholy shit biggrin.gif
there is a process to figure out a remote like that.. you would have to learn a few keys... download the info to the pc and piece together the protocol.

UNLESS

there is a 3rd party config on the jp1 files section at yahoo and its for the imitation xbox remotes you find on ebay... perhaps your has the same hardware... but only way to find out would be to try it

if you were a tivo owner you'd know why the colors are like that, and its something i wanted. smile.gif It keeps it seperate from the remote, and gains an ease of use.

cooljerk_dv

• Archived User
Wicked Xbmc Remote
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2004, 05:02:00 PM »

any universal remote works, i use my pioneer universal for everything including my xbox.

A@ron

• Archived User
Wicked Xbmc Remote
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2004, 08:16:00 PM »

Amen seven5, the URC-6131 is the same remote I use. I love it with my SVR-2000

Loto_Bak

• Archived User
Wicked Xbmc Remote
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2004, 10:47:00 AM »

Cool stuff Rimor,
I see its made by URC as well, it is probly a JP1 remote as well...

My Brother has that exact remote, I found it to be very top heavy and clumsy. Personally I dont like LCD displays. They waste batteries and all they really do is let you relabel the device buttons. I'd would rather have a remote with about 8 devices and a decent number of buttons.  And for 90 USD (that like 130 Canadian) I could be spending that money on ALOT more valuable things when a 20 dollar remote will do the same job just as well.  That said I do like the little joystick on that remote

If you made a layout for your remote feel free to send me a link, i'd be happy to have it hosted

huiha

• Archived User
Wicked Xbmc Remote
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2004, 11:55:00 AM »

QUOTE (Loto_Bak @ Sep 16 2004, 06:50 PM)
Cool stuff Rimor,
I see its made by URC as well, it is probly a JP1 remote as well...

My Brother has that exact remote, I found it to be very top heavy and clumsy. Personally I dont like LCD displays. They waste batteries and all they really do is let you relabel the device buttons. I'd would rather have a remote with about 8 devices and a decent number of buttons.  And for 90 USD (that like 130 Canadian) I could be spending that money on ALOT more valuable things when a 20 dollar remote will do the same job just as well.  That said I do like the little joystick on that remote

If you made a layout for your remote feel free to send me a link, i'd be happy to have it hosted

I totally agree with Rimor.

Actually, giving your own names for buttons on LCD is the most powerful feature in MX-500. It makes Xbmc easy because you don't have to guess eg. what button do I have to press to add a song to the playlist etc.    beerchug.gif

Loto_Bak

• Archived User
Wicked Xbmc Remote
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2004, 07:21:00 PM »

Arnt the lcd buttons only for devices? or can you assign them to remote codes as well?

CakeBox

• Archived User
Wicked Xbmc Remote
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2004, 09:45:00 AM »

What remote codes do you use when programming a universal remote? Do you need one that has learning features?  

~CB

S1ack

• Archived User
Wicked Xbmc Remote
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2004, 09:57:00 AM »

QUOTE (Loto_Bak @ Sep 15 2004, 08:22 PM)
Were all xbox modders... we are cheap

what? i have to PAY for something? F*#$ that

I'm an xbox modder, and enjoying XBMC on  42" plasma definately makes me NOT cheap.

cheap? no.
in debt? yep.

Loto_Bak

• Archived User
Wicked Xbmc Remote
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2004, 09:30:00 PM »

smile.gif

S1ack :
I didnt mean cheap in that sence.
When you bought you 42 inch, did you just go to best buy and pick it up? I bet not...
You researched and researched till you found the best product for the best price you could. This is the same thing, just on a smaller scale.

You can actually replace the remotes 'os' with a much more advanced one that allows you to have 4 functions assigned to each and every key!

shift+button
short press
long press
xshift+button

JP1 in general allows you to create one device (say tv mode) that can have each button control a different piece of hardware. Most devices are limited to using the same protocol for each device (for instance rca uses the RCA5 protocol, sony has their own and so on. There are MANY different protocols out there.)  

What the jp1 remotes provide is a very powerful, 100% completly programmable remote (see : no cryptic code inputing. Ability to add new/custom devices. Complete control over key layout) all at the price of one of the cheapest universals out there.

Maybe 'informed consumer who aims for bang for the buck deals' is a better description

Cakebox :
in general, the remote code that works for the xbox is the RCA dvd remote code.
as far as my layout it is completly custom. It is not compatable with xbox dash or other dashboard (but thats the point. the default codes for the xbox remote conflict with rca tvs and dvd players) xbmc allows reassigning of remote functions which allows me to create a device that uses remote codes that do not conflict with other RCA hardware.
To use your other dashes/ms dash just program another device (very few people use all 6/8 devices) to the RCA dvd code... and switch over to that when in thoes programs

testing

• Archived User
Wicked Xbmc Remote
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2004, 10:11:00 AM »

Hmmm nice work

mrjkwik

• Archived User
Wicked Xbmc Remote
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2004, 06:59:00 PM »

i've been looking into the home theater pc stuff for awhile.  havent built one yet though.  good thing, because i think the interface of xbmc on screen looks better than the output from a pc to a tv (unless you have an lcd or plasma).  but anyway...

i just want to make sure i understand.  all i need is a jp1 remote (not that i know what jp1 means, but i'll just get whatever you guys got).

a m$ dvd dongle

and the software

and what exactly is a jp1 cable?

and am i right to assume i dont need anything else for the computer, such as an ir receiver or blaster?

mrjkwik

• Archived User
Wicked Xbmc Remote
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2004, 07:20:00 PM »

ok, sorry, started a little research.  starting to catch on.  i see i would need to build some cable, correct.  using a db25 and another 6 prong connector.  i got info from here if anyone else is interested.

and now i see what a jp1 remote is.  sorry for the dumb question.

now, using those programs, can i reprogram the remote like a learning remote?  or just remap them?  i think i'm gonna run out and get me another remote to look at, then see about doing the cable sometime soon this week.  i dont even have a m$ dongle, so i'm gonna have to get one of those also. but i'll do the build up first, since that seems to be the most expensive componet (29.99 for a remote and dongle, gotta hate m$ for overpricing everything)

just wondering about the learning codes because i have a koss "home theater in a box/dvd" combo stuff.  i know, cheap, but dont need a booming system for my den.  its a pain in the ass to find a remote to work with it, so i need a great learning remote that can specify codes.  will all this work, or am i better off getting the learning remote to do this with, instead of just a multi device remote.
Pages: 1 [2] 3