xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Newb Needs Help  (Read 135 times)

Breath of Fire

• Archived User
Newb Needs Help
« on: January 22, 2007, 12:35:00 AM »

Hi, I just bought a NEW XBOX 360 core system, it came with a Samsung-Toshiba drive I checked just the DVD tray. OK so I have a few questions,

1. I am paying a pro to flash my drive for $40 is this a good deal or should I learn how to do it myself?
2. I have a Maxtor SATA PCI card will this work with my 360's DVD drive?
3. I know how to burn 360 backups but how do I burn my XBOX 1 backups for use with the 360?
4. I keep hearing about patching your discs or something with certain patches, is this needed? How do I do it if so?
5. My 360 is new so I heard it might have a ms28 fw, I cannot solder so do I need to solder to flash this drive? If I pay a pro the first time and he flashes and solders it can I flash it myself the second time?
6. I can solder a little bit not very well at all, if I Need to solder with the ms28 fw how hard is it for a newbie solderer?

Thanks I well ask more questions if I think of anything

Trune

• Archived User
Newb Needs Help
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 02:48:00 AM »

40 dollars aint to bad really, what insurance do they offer if it goes wrong?

But its not too difficult to do yourself if you have some knowledge of pc's and common sense.

I was not aware that maxtor made SATA Pci cards, they make SATA Hard drives. But it would depend on the chipset on the SATA card, not the manufacturer.

I dont think you need to soldier anymore on a Ms-28, i think theres a cd to do it as well??

Phazzer

• Archived User
Newb Needs Help
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 02:59:00 AM »

QUOTE(Breath of Fire @ Jan 22 2007, 09:42 AM) View Post

4. I keep hearing about patching your discs or something with certain patches, is this needed? How do I do it if so?

QUOTE(NoFace @ Jan 22 2007, 10:04 AM) View Post

4. no, its not. AFAIK, patching your disks (I think to prevent scratching) doesn't allow them to spin correctly.

I think he means with the copyright kind of protection not scratch preventative. If I'm right it's not nessecary at the moment but recommended in case M$ desides to start detecting it in the future. If I'm wrong and NoFace is right, don't do it. It's bad for your drive.

jabroniekilla

• Archived User
Newb Needs Help
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 07:17:00 AM »

patching the xbox1 backups means making sure the .xbe files are untouched.  so using dvd2xbox for example patches the .xbe and therefore the 360 will not boot those games.  it has nothing to do with scratching the disc.

Breath of Fire

• Archived User
Newb Needs Help
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 04:38:00 PM »

QUOTE(Trune @ Jan 22 2007, 01:55 AM) View Post

40 dollars aint to bad really, what insurance do they offer if it goes wrong?

But its not too difficult to do yourself if you have some knowledge of pc's and common sense.

I was not aware that maxtor made SATA Pci cards, they make SATA Hard drives. But it would depend on the chipset on the SATA card, not the manufacturer.

I dont think you need to soldier anymore on a Ms-28, i think theres a cd to do it as well??

If he bricks he he replaces it, he will also flash firmware from then on for free.

The name of the SATA PCI card is "WinXP Maxtor SATA/150 PCI Card" The driver provider is "Promise" http://www.maxtor.co.....]150 PCI Card

Is there a ms28 specific tutorial, mine is most likely to be ms28 since its new. I heard you need to solder with that firmware.

Breath of Fire

• Archived User
Newb Needs Help
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 05:10:00 PM »

OK It looks like I can do it myself, I am going to use the TextBook tutorial and I need to check if I have a ms25 or ms28

I have to buy a different SATA card but thats only $20

Breath of Fire

• Archived User
Newb Needs Help
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 11:07:00 PM »

Should I do it myself? What is the chance I could brick or mess up my 360?  Should I just pay a pro and upgrade my firmware myself?

*mod edit*....... be careful what you insinuate

jabroniekilla

• Archived User
Newb Needs Help
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 07:20:00 AM »

the most important part is dumping your orig.bin and saving it a million times.  once you have you key, then you can flash with the hacked f/w.  make sure to use a usb flash drive and not a floppy, and remember to have your a/v cable plugged in the whole time.

Breath of Fire

• Archived User
Newb Needs Help
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 04:54:00 PM »

Alright I will do that thanks for the advice, should I have him install the newest Xtreme firmware? He said 4.2 is more stable. Also how can I make my 360 games fit on a regular DVD+R? how would I burn my XBOX 1 backups I already have the ISO from my original disc. Also what is the cheapest place for DVD DL's I don't care about the quality and what not.

Breath of Fire

• Archived User
Newb Needs Help
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 04:19:00 PM »

Thanks for all the help I am getting it modded tonight and I will let you know how it goes. I still need help though

How can I make my 360 games fit on a regular DVD+R? how would I burn my XBOX 1 backups I already have the ISO from my original disc. Also what is the cheapest place for DVD DL's I don't care about the quality and what not.

Xombe

• Archived User
Newb Needs Help
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 06:01:00 PM »

QUOTE(Breath of Fire @ Jan 26 2007, 08:26 AM) View Post

How can I make my 360 games fit on a regular DVD+R? how would I burn my XBOX 1 backups I already have the ISO from my original disc. Also what is the cheapest place for DVD DL's I don't care about the quality and what not.

You dont. Use neccessary media and burning methods.

You don't. Re-rip your originals the proper (for 360) way.

Read the pinned topic in the Backups forum for DL-media deals.

Breath of Fire

• Archived User
Newb Needs Help
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2007, 11:01:00 PM »

My 360 is modded now, I am very pleased, I bought Lost Planet and he showed me how to rip it then burned it for me. I find it strange that is it so LOUD when it is booting the game then once it gets ingame its fine. I tried to boot my Halo 2 but it seems I need the HDD for that (I only have the 64Mb Memory Unit) but it worked out good.

I couldn't find the deals on the DVD-DL's that you were refuring to  huh.gif  can you give me an exact link please.

Xombe

• Archived User
Newb Needs Help
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2007, 04:48:00 AM »

... Okay.  

360 Backup Forum -> pinned topic "Backup Faq - Everything* You Need To Know" -> Best Deals on Verbatim +R DL