xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Xbox Live  (Read 176 times)

vestri_matris

• Archived User
Xbox Live
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2006, 12:16:00 PM »

if they bricked your 360, hell you could file a lawsuit, the most they could do was ban you noff XBL because when you buy a 360 your buy the hardware and the software. direct tv is bad comparison cuz your using their service all the time. the only way u can use direct tv is if u connect throught direct tv's satelites. plus you have to sign a contract b4 u buy direct tv which you dont have to do with the 360. your not agreeing to anything when you buy it. you can do anything to it, as long as some other law is not broken (such as pirating games)

and i rlly dont think any of that made sense but idc

edit: typo

tgm4883

• Archived User
Xbox Live
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2006, 12:50:00 PM »

QUOTE(vestri_matris @ Jul 27 2006, 11:23 AM) View Post

if they bricked your 360, hell you could file a lawsuit, the most they could do was ban you noff XBL because when you buy a 360 your buy the hardware and the software. direct tv is bad comparison cuz your using their service all the time. the only way u can use direct tv is if u connect throught direct tv's satelites. plus you have to sign a contract b4 u buy direct tv which you dont have to do with the 360. your not agreeing to anything when you buy it. you can do anything to it, as long as some other law is not broken (such as pirating games)

and i rlly dont think any of that made sense but idc

edit: typo

That almost makes sense.  Except you don't own the software, it's called licensing.  Look at Windows XP (Or any version of windows for that matter)  You buy the software but can only use it on one computer?  You buy the hardware and licensee the software.  If they take the software away (which most of don't think this will happen)    then what have they done wrong?

Now since nobody thinks they will do this can we drop it?  I am sorry I even brought it up.

CattyKid

• Archived User
Xbox Live
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2006, 01:49:00 PM »

QUOTE(monomaniacpat @ Jul 27 2006, 03:41 PM) View Post

Just a question here: can you play games from any region with modified firmware? I don't think I would do it anyway, because I don't want to get banned from Xbox Live or have my Xbox junked, but I would like to import games if possible.

Games that are regionfree will work.  Games that are set to a different region than your 360 is built to function in will not work, even WITH a firmware mod.  
Here is a wikipedia list of games that do and do not work on which region consoles.

As to the software, tgm is right, they LICENSE the software to you and let you use it... you don't own it.

Please... let's all just drop all this speculation.  We don't know what they will do if they detect the firmware... so let's just stop wasting this time speculating.

expert01

• Archived User
Xbox Live
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2006, 07:22:00 PM »

QUOTE(tgm4883 @ Jul 27 2006, 07:57 PM) View Post

That almost makes sense.  Except you don't own the software, it's called licensing.  Look at Windows XP (Or any version of windows for that matter)  You buy the software but can only use it on one computer?  You buy the hardware and licensee the software.  If they take the software away (which most of don't think this will happen)    then what have they done wrong?

Now since nobody thinks they will do this can we drop it?  I am sorry I even brought it up.

You're forgetting one thing... with Windows XP you have to accept the End User License Agreement. You don't do that for the 360. Ergo, they can't hold you to any license agreement, so you may do with your system as you please, and they may not modify it without your permission, or it's a trespassing/violation of privacy issue.

tgm4883

• Archived User
Xbox Live
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2006, 07:51:00 PM »

QUOTE(expert01 @ Jul 28 2006, 06:29 PM) View Post

You're forgetting one thing... with Windows XP you have to accept the End User License Agreement. You don't do that for the 360. Ergo, they can't hold you to any license agreement, so you may do with your system as you please, and they may not modify it without your permission, or it's a trespassing/violation of privacy issue.

No im not.  Now lets all turn to page 7 section G bullet 1 in the Xbox 360 Volume 2 Manual.  It reads as follows:

The software included in the Xbox Product is licensed to you, not sold.  You are licensed to use such software only in your Xbox Product and you may not reverse engineer it, except as expressly permitted by applicable law notwithstanding this limitation.

Now I don't remember if you have to accept an agreement screen when the Xbox is first started up (I think you do), but you DO when signing up for xbox live.  And since you get updates from xbox live and thats how they would disable your system....(see where im going)

But for the love of god can we please drop this

CattyKid

• Archived User
Xbox Live
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2006, 08:30:00 PM »

QUOTE(tgm4883 @ Jul 28 2006, 11:58 PM) View Post

But for the love of god can we please drop this

He's right.
We can't really answer the original question... we're not MS and the legality is questionable.  
We know they probably can disable your console if they really want to, but IMO most likely won't.  Notice the In My Opinon.  A simple dash update MIGHT be able to do it.

This has become a speculation-fest.

So, closed.
Pages: 1 [2]