xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Ps2 Emulator On Modded 360?  (Read 566 times)

StigmataDiaboli

• Archived User
Ps2 Emulator On Modded 360?
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2006, 03:58:00 PM »

I was wondering about this myself, glad to hear some answers on the topic.

Jrmungandr

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2006, 09:42:00 PM »

QUOTE(Kernal69er @ Jun 28 2006, 05:43 AM) View Post

Never will happen.
Look at the PS3, (and PS2 was te same at first) Sony can't get backward compatibility to work via emulation. so they are including the PS2 chipset in the first batches of the PS3.

While this is back- tracking a little bit, I thought I should clarify this: Sony didn't choose to do their backwards compatability via previous gen chipsets because they couldn't emulate. Rather, they did it because it was simply... well, simple. M$, on the other hand, wasn't able to take this route, due to some copyright that Sony has on this form of BC, which is why M$ has had to emulate all last gen games the hard way. Hence why there have been so many problems with the few games that have been made BC so far.

As for the issue of PS2 on the 360? It would never happen, regardless of how cool it would be. I do hope, however, that someone will read this, take it as a challenge, and prove me wrong.

PsychoGino

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2006, 12:48:00 AM »

QUOTE(Jörmungandr @ Jun 29 2006, 04:49 AM) *

M$, on the other hand, wasn't able to take this route, due to some copyright that Sony has on this form of BC, which is why M$ has had to emulate all last gen games the hard way.

Actually it wasnt an actual copyright.  It has to do with the graphics chip and processor. Intel owns the Pentium III processor for the Xbox and nVidia owned the graphics chip for it.  Since M$ didn't own either, they couldnt do what sony did with the PS2 (putting a ps1 chip in it).  The only way to have backwards compatibility on the 360? Software emulation.

Spud_Hed

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2006, 03:48:00 AM »

it seems i was wrong, after some research it seems pcsx2 has come a long way, its just been rewritten and is managing to pull around 40fps in ffx on a decent pc (3.2ghz) so i would assume granted that the full power of the 360 xcan be used it should be possible to port it to the 360 if a hack comes around that would allow it to run but it would still need to be tweaked to use the ppc architecture of the 360 rather than the pc x86 one. but of course all of this talk is useless until a suitable hack appears (the recently announced one is unlikely to work as it seems based on the xbox 1 emu rather than the 360 native)

drumstyx

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2006, 04:28:00 AM »

now i dont know about other ppl....but i myself love emulation because it gives you a sort of all-in-one box...i have a ps2....an xbox...a GC....but i think it would just be incredible to have it running on something else...i loved ps1, SNES, n64...and its great that i turned my xbox into an all in one

on another note...seeing as theres 6 hardware threads on an xbox...at 3.2ghz each...well it seems to me that most PCs DONT have 3 cores with 2 hardware threads each...thus...im thinking maybe it would be easier to emulate on the 360...more power ( (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ) and multithreading/tri-core can be used to quite an advantage...eg one thread for each sound emulation, video, controller etc etc..this is all of course once 360 homebrew takes off....(which isnt far off XD)
peace
drumstyx

This post has been edited by drumstyx: Jun 29 2006, 11:29 AM

Reaper527

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2006, 09:17:00 AM »

its more complicated then that, also like other have said the emu's we got for the xbox where ports of pc emu's. i don't think anyone is going to develop it specifically for the 360 and also, i honestly belive pc's now ARE powerful enough to emulate a ps2, its just the complexity of the system is causing problems. just give it time and maybe we'll see something in the future.

drumstyx

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2006, 10:46:00 AM »

if all emus for the 360 are going to be ports from pc....it will be very hard to take full advantage of the full power of it...someone might do it (hopefully (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif))

as for ps2 emulation on a PC...graphics, sound, everything...the software seems to be fully functional....just slow....if you take it and speed it up....(eg faster hardware) its almost perfect....i think the only thing we need to wait on now...is better hardware and graphics fixes for individual games...but in general i dont think it would be fully workable on todays hardware

mike__123456789

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2006, 11:40:00 AM »

QUOTE(arethemad @ Jun 27 2006, 11:33 PM) View Post

I know that this is probably a pretty dumb question, but when the 360 is finally modded, how hard/possible would it be to make an emulator for the ps2?

you guys all have it wrong, just hold in the x button while a ps2 game tries to load  biggrin.gif did I mention this will work with ps3 games too  jester.gif

CattyKid

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2006, 01:44:00 PM »

Just remember that the 360 emulates the Xbox with software and not hardware, so it's definitely POSSIBLE.  Now, probable is another story.

dutch nelson

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2006, 02:21:00 PM »

Maybe if we'd rip sony's ps3 emu to run ps2

TheRealPeppers

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2006, 03:29:00 PM »

^the ps3 and 360 will not be hardware simaller enoth for that kind of portability

This post has been edited by TheRealPeppers: Jul 6 2006, 10:32 PM

CattyKid

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2006, 04:12:00 PM »

QUOTE(dutch nelson @ Jul 6 2006, 06:28 PM) *

Maybe if we'd rip sony's ps3 emu to run ps2

It is speculated that the PS3 will NOT emulate the PS2 via software.  It will actually contain major PS2 hardware components, as the PS2 contained major PS1 hardware components.

This post has been edited by CattyKid: Jul 6 2006, 11:13 PM

skavenger216

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2006, 11:55:00 AM »

Ok, heres my viewpoint on this.

The X-box 1 is more technically capable then the PS2, correct? (yes)

The X360 can emulate a good amount of Xbox1 games at full speed in a higher resolution, right? (once again, yes)

So if the 360 can emulate the Xbox 1 at full speed, why the hell wouldnt it be able to emulate the PS2???
That right there is no reason!!!! someone just needs to step up to the plate and start working on it!! ( sorry people, im not a programmer or id start working on it myself)

So yeah the whole point of this is if the 360 can run xbox 1 games it can also run ps2.

your friend and mine,
SkaVengeR

CattyKid

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2006, 01:00:00 PM »

QUOTE(skavenger216 @ Jul 13 2006, 04:02 PM) View Post

So yeah the whole point of this is if the 360 can run xbox 1 games it can also run ps2.

That was my thoughts... to a point.  It's not really as simple as you put it.  The Emotion Engine has proven and will continue to prove EXTREMELY difficult to master emulating because of the way it was built.  Then again, it's not easy to emulate the Xbox either.
But, just because the Xbox had better hardware than PS2 doesn't mean that the PS2 would be easier to emulate, or make emulating it any more possible.

skavenger216

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2006, 05:13:00 PM »

yeah you make a very good point, but i wasnt saying it would be as easy or easier to emulate, i was just saying that if it has the muscle to run X1 games i can run PS2 games. while it will be harder to emulate the ps2 and its emotion engine that it is to emu the x1,  it (the 360) definately has the muscle to handle the job.

your friend and mine,
SkaVengeR
Pages: 1 [2] 3