xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: D_skins - Worth The Money, Or A Waste Of Time?  (Read 158 times)

Hannard

• Archived User
D_skins - Worth The Money, Or A Waste Of Time?
« on: April 09, 2006, 02:55:00 PM »

Has anyone tried using D_Skins, those transparent bits of plastic that fit over the bottom of your DVD to stop it getting scratched - on either 360 or X-Box 1 discs? Do they work, or do they stop the game from reading the disc properly? At fifty quid a game for the 360, I'm wondering if these are worth looking into.

ShadowElitePro

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 03:21:00 PM »

I tryed them for music Cd's. They work real good. But I dont know for 360 games.

microsizeboy

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 09:44:00 PM »

They're good on my Xbox. On my 360 they don't work as good. I don't think the discs are the problem but the DVD drive probably is. I have a launch system  and they seem to make the game slow down at certain points. You can always buy a 5 pack and try them out.

jimjom

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 05:05:00 AM »

My old 360 scratched games incessantly... it was to say the least, annoying. Well I held out for a while with dskins but they eventually wore the laser down and I had to take them off for it to read it. That's when I sent er' back. Now I am once again rocking flawlessly. The hitachi is much better.

drewberg111

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 06:04:00 AM »

I tried em also and they worked pretty well.  Every once in a while id get a disk error.  I stopped using them though as one of the moderators said its probably a bad idea.  The extra layer of protection makes the dvd drive have to work harder and could prematurly wear it out.  I hear MS is replacing badly scratched games cause by the drives laser so i wouldnt worry about scratching too much.  Ive had my system for about 3months and no scratch on any of the games.  Just dont bumb the system or turn in while on. . . just the common sense stuff and you should be fine.

C o s m o

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 07:13:00 AM »

D-skins will cause the laser to wear-down REALLY fast.  Don't waste your money.  If you're having disc scratching issues, send your console back.  Read the PINNED topics...it's all in there.

Project_Rx7

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 04:16:00 PM »

I tried d-skins on music and game disc they work fine if your disc is brand new abd in perfect condition. But if there's a scrach or finger print then it only makes the problem worst. I don't know if this might help but I use these cases called ejectors and the protect the cd better then any case iv come across.
http://www.go-disc.com/trigger.htm
But I don't know if your looking for something to store them in or what. Hope this helps.

deakphreak

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2006, 03:56:00 AM »

I had a scratched disc and called up MS. They said to check with the retailer first then call them back if they dont replace it. I just took it down to walmart and they swapped it right out.  Dont get the D skins.

D4N-D4N

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2006, 04:11:00 AM »

Itz like a 50.50 rebate if you want them for abit to protect ya games for a few months get them but if you dont theres no need. Just be carefull how you handle your games all i have on my games are a few burns that is all.. Thanx

D4ND4N

xXColaXx

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2006, 11:58:00 PM »

to me it seems like they work ok with the original xbox but with the 360 theres some gameplay speed problems.I think your best bet is like a few people have said,buy them,and try them out fo ryourself thats the only way youll know.Also buy them at walmart,theyll take anything back...

sincitysaint

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2006, 12:46:00 AM »

As others have said, D-Skins are hell on the laser eye, they can hurt the bearings on your dvd-drive as well.
Avoid 'em like the bird flu, a scratched disc is a lot easier to replace/repair than a fuxored 360.