xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox Live.. Does It Pay To Join Before I Have Games?  (Read 188 times)

dgrams2003

• Archived User
Xbox Live.. Does It Pay To Join Before I Have Games?
« on: December 26, 2005, 05:43:00 PM »

Does it pay to join XBox live before I have compatable games?

I already downloaded and installed the 'Backward Compatability'
to the XBox360... but is there anything else I will be able to do
on LIVE - which would not have extra fees associated with it?
Or should I hold off on my membership?

Is everything 'fun' off of LIVE 'fee based'?

Are there any cool things to do there that dont cost $$?

lookformeb

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 06:18:00 PM »

Use the free trial and see how you like it...

vydex

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 05:34:00 AM »

Personnally I think xbconnect and kai are better than live,they have far more players as they are both free system link networks. the last few days i have been playing on live noone seems to be playing anything at all used my 360 to play halo 2 and noone was online hardly, same with PES5 all my challenges were not accepted, another thing their is no sort of general lobby where you can go into to see who is playing what game , you get this with xbconnet albeit its running on the PC but I do believe now there is an xbconnect version that will run on the xbox modded systems you just run it as an application from whatever dashboard you use. I have cancelled my gold account as its total arse in my opion but some will probably disagree..

66Nicks

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2005, 09:35:00 AM »

As far as I know, you can download free demos of games that are coming out soon, and there are XBOX LIVE arcade titles that you can download, I don't know if those cost extra money.

Also you can get custom skins for your dashboard etc..
If none of htat sounds fun then just wait till you buy a game you want to play on live and buy your subscription then.. you're really not missing out on much.
(Or as others have said, just use your free one mth trial, but personally I'd just save it.)

spinr34

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2005, 01:49:00 PM »

QUOTE(vydex @ Dec 27 2005, 04:41 AM) View Post

Personnally I think xbconnect and kai are better than live,they have far more players as they are both free system link networks. the last few days i have been playing on live noone seems to be playing anything at all used my 360 to play halo 2 and noone was online hardly, same with PES5 all my challenges were not accepted, another thing their is no sort of general lobby where you can go into to see who is playing what game , you get this with xbconnet albeit its running on the PC but I do believe now there is an xbconnect version that will run on the xbox modded systems you just run it as an application from whatever dashboard you use. I have cancelled my gold account as its total arse in my opion but some will probably disagree..

yea, i don't agree but i also don't like getting up and going to the PC every time i want to join a new game.  maybe if my console was hooked up to my monitor this wouldn't be a problem and there's still plenty of people that play halo 2 on live.  also some achievements are live based so....

dgrams2003

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2005, 02:18:00 PM »

QUOTE(US Nationalist @ Dec 27 2005, 02:59 AM) View Post

took the words right out of my mouth

.... but is there anything to do on LIVE without having games?

THAT is my question.  Not "will I like it or not"
I'm sure I will.
I just want to know if I will be wasting my free membership
by joining now without having games to play yet.

MC2829

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2005, 02:30:00 PM »

If you want to play MP with people but don't want to play you can download Xlink/Xbox Connect which are free tunneling programs that work with the Xbox 360 also. Although I think Live is much better.

spinr34

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2005, 04:22:00 PM »

QUOTE(dgrams2003 @ Dec 28 2005, 01:25 PM) View Post

.... but is there anything to do on LIVE without having games?

THAT is my question.  Not "will I like it or not"
I'm sure I will.
I just want to know if I will be wasting my free membership
by joining now without having games to play yet.

the question is, how long till you have games? if it's more than the free trial period then obviously wait to use it.  if it's a couple weeks might as well sign up now and poke around on the arcade for a while, download some trailers and stuff.  i honestly don't know what Silver members have axs to so if you already got these things there isn't much you are missing besides the games ;p

Agent ME

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2005, 09:19:00 PM »

Okay here's an answer to your question-

You CAN download stuff from marketplace like xbl arcade games, videos, game demos, etc, but you can do that with the free Silver too.

I recommend get the free Xbox Live Silver right now and check out the market place, and when you get the games, upgrade to Xbox Live Gold so you can play them online.

Anyways, what are the others talking about "XBC is better than Live"?! Live pwns. Universal friends list, game invites, you can start up a voice conversation, automatic dynamic matchmaking systems based off of user profiles and reviews or rankings, you can check what your friends are doing, and there's the xbox live marketplace.