xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]

Author Topic: First Xecuter 360 RROD Kit Photo  (Read 1605 times)

burnandkill

• Archived User
First Xecuter 360 RROD Kit Photo
« Reply #165 on: April 25, 2008, 04:05:00 AM »

Alright...after seeing all these comments over the weeks, I've got some ideas from everyone and went to the hardware stores around town.

I'm following Llamma's X-clamp tutorial http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/repair/ring_of_light_x-clamp_fix.htm, and a decent eraser mod fix I found http://www.eurasia.nu/wiki/index.php?pagename=Xbox360EraserFixError0102 along with some heat to fix my RROD.

The hardest part so far was finding the torx wrenches. Lowe's and Home Depot didn't carry T8 or T10 so I hit Fry's and found a set. For the X-Clamp fix I'm goin with some 12mm flathead screws, 32 steel M5 1mm thick washers (3x8 washers on the bottom + 4x8 on the top) along with 16 nylon 4B washers I found at Lowes (1 touching each side of the mobo). For the eraser mod I bought some double sided tape and a few standard erasers..yay.  I also got a heat gun for $25 to bake the RAM+GPU+CPU before and after I install the X-clamp replacement.

I think tighter heatsinks with arctic silver applied, pressure on the ram chips with rubber/foam and sticky tape, along with proper heat to reset the solder joints before and after the setup will fix my problems tomorrow. Im hitting Lowe's to pick up a few more washers that weren't accounted for, so wish me http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc192/burnandkill/360rrod.jpg I'll post results.

Team Xecuter couldn't market a heat fix and Llamma already sells an X-Clamp fix, so here's your eraser fix.  Their fix is still CHEAPER THAN THE GAS, TAPE, RUBBER, AND TORX WRENCHES to do it on your own... I'd say get it unless you have the tools at home.

jerrspud

• Archived User
« Reply #166 on: April 25, 2008, 03:53:00 AM »

QUOTE(burnandkill @ Apr 25 2008, 04:05 AM) View Post

The hardest part so far was finding the torx wrenches. Lowe's and Home Depot didn't carry T8 or T10 so I hit Fry's and found a set.

that's weird, I found a nice set at home depot. I'm sure lowe's would have this common size as well (in a kit).

Good luck on your mod. Two days and mine still works

funboy6942

• Archived User
« Reply #167 on: April 26, 2008, 09:23:00 AM »

I been fixing RROD with case fan screws and a heat gun. Havent come across one yet I couldnt fix. Even ones that been xclamped I have fixed. In over 20 360's I have so far worked on I have yet to have one I didnt get working again, and stay working. And I just charge silly low money to fix one, and that includes shipping back. Im crazy, yes, but that has nothing to do with it tongue.gif

in most cases I have come into its the crappy thermal goo they use, or lack of in some units. And some units they poured it all over everything like its going out of style. I can get them working again just by removing all that gunk, and using my ceramic based stuff, and resetting the sinks, perfectly, and then they work again. But I still go overboard anyway since they are opened and heat the boards 4-6 more times to make sure all the solder is set up right anyway.

I dislike the fact they have what your getting hidden, that screams dishonest, and we're gonna bend you over when you buy our grab bag, imo.

burnandkill

• Archived User
« Reply #168 on: April 26, 2008, 07:01:00 PM »

OK I got my 360 working finally...heres what I did:

1)  I first took out the motherboard, covered the plastic components with tin foil, and applied the heat gun on low (6-10 inches away from the board) for about 5 mins to warm up the whole board. Then I focused the heat ( still on low, about 2-4" away) on the southbridge, GPU, RAM and CPU for about 2 mins. I cooled it off for another 5 mins with the heat gun at about a foot away from the board then let it sit for 15 mins.

2)
Afterwards I replaced the X-Clamp, threw on some arctic silver, and applied some erasers on the 4 RAM chips, then cranked the heatsinks tight. I gave the heat gun another whirl, then tightened down the heatsinks a tad more.

3) I turned it on, STILL RoD... so I tried Llamma's overheating method to heat up the GPU. After cooling for 15 mins, I tried again...RoD (FUCK!).

4) At this point I had given up, I went to bed and slept it off. The next morning I kept thinking about the oven bake method and decided to really heat things up for one last ditch effort.  I put some tin foil back on the board (with the X-Clamp replacement still attached) and heated the sucker with the heat gun for a good 20 mins until the board was super hot to the touch.  I let it sit for 25 mins, then plugged it in - boot!

5) I let the 360 chill at the dashboard without a disk for a half hour then popped in a certain Rockstar game  biggrin.gif I've been playing for about 2 hours with no hitches.

I think the name of the game is heat. The X-Clamp and eraser fixes seem to just prevent the box from overheating again, but in order to fix my problems, I had to melt every square inch of the board multiple times to get that solder flowing back into the right places.  I might be investing in a whisper max fan soon...

Hercules Man

• Archived User
« Reply #169 on: April 29, 2008, 02:07:00 AM »

360's rrod, what a nightmare, i have repaired around 10, and so far, about 3 are still working, i have always removed the xclamp on the gpu not cpu, as afai understand it, the gpu is getting to hot and the ball grid becomes cracked because of no help from lead free solder, so more pressure other than xclamp. seems like xclamp warps the board around the gpu and hairline cracks result in failed contact in the grid. so i use different methods trying to see if any fix is good, including drilling holes for 5mm bolts, and using standoffs, usually 4 x 1mm washers on each bolt, then tighten up real good. then power up and see if rrod is gone, if not, then i use tea towel method around gpu, leaving fan connected and duct in place, cpu this way does not overheat and gpu gets so hot it burns fingers at a touch, let to cool down, then retry, and for sure, rrod is gone, but, thats not the end of it, i would have more chance backing a 3 legged horse to win a race at the grand national than the rrod not coming back. and come back it does, so where now. shim? 1mm shim, tighten down gpu heatsink again with 1mm alloy shim neatly in place and arctic 5 in place, overheat again with tea towel around gpu heatsink, let cool, power on, and rrod gone, but the bitch of rrod comes back sad.gif bang head against wall and give up, nah, go buy some nylon kit off some freak on ebay who claims no expanding coz they are nylon not metal blah blah, fitted this nylon bolt/washer kit and rrod is still present, out with the tea towel to overheat the gpu heatsink once again, let cool down, power up and bingo, rrod gone, in addition, fitted xcm power fan, the one that goes just below the cpu, see if a combination of the nylon fixtures and the xcm fan resolves the trouble, nah, the guy back on the phone even earlier than i thought, 1 day later with rrod back, so, a lot of time i have spent with these dam 360's, and i am really close to knocking it all on the head smile.gif, anyway, good luck fellow 360 fixers, im sure i can find something better to do with my time.

H Man

silentwitness

• Archived User
« Reply #170 on: May 02, 2008, 02:44:00 AM »

ok how many of u guys have actually tried this fix? Does it work? I have a 360 with the RROD with error 0102 i did a fix i found on this site using computer mobo spacers and it started working worked for a month and 20 days and im back to the rrod again, just wanted to know if this kit works and is worth it, cause it will be a pain in the ass to get the kit for me cause im in india so goin to have to take alot of trouble to try and get this kit to me.

punktilend

• Archived User
« Reply #171 on: May 02, 2008, 06:28:00 AM »

QUOTE(silentwitness @ May 2 2008, 04:44 AM) View Post

ok how many of u guys have actually tried this fix? Does it work? I have a 360 with the RROD with error 0102 i did a fix i found on this site using computer mobo spacers and it started working worked for a month and 20 days and im back to the rrod again, just wanted to know if this kit works and is worth it, cause it will be a pain in the ass to get the kit for me cause im in india so goin to have to take alot of trouble to try and get this kit to me.

read through this entire topic you will find what you are looking, for just read.

syntaxerror329

• Archived User
« Reply #172 on: May 02, 2008, 08:46:00 AM »

QUOTE(cellblockfour44 @ Apr 16 2008, 10:47 AM) View Post

God i had to sign up for this because i dont want anyone else ripped off by these people. THIS IS NOT A FIX.
You get 2 screwdrivers which most people have anyway and 4 little pieces of sticky rubber, i am livid i have been ripped off. There are no instructions , after searching i found a guide to putting them on the RAM but as most of us already have microsofts own RAM cooling solution they are pointless.

I cannot express how utterly disappointed with Executer i am, they used to be held in extremely high regards but good god did they manage to slump to the bottom of the pile now. In my opinion they thought they would cash in on MASS pre order of this product, why else would they not release ANY images or explanations of the kit????? Well because no one would buy it, so they create a demand and purposely allow thousands of people to pre order to then be let down on mass.

What an eye opener, avoid like the plague!!  mad.gif  sad.gif

I was about to post basically the same message as you. I got two kits from modchip.ca Cost me $42 with shipping.

I tried installing one kit but it didn't help.

all i can say is rip-off!

Haygar

• Archived User
« Reply #173 on: May 03, 2008, 07:59:00 PM »

I have experienced first hand what a pain in the ass the RROD problem can be and IMO these kits may actually be something other than they appear.

We all know the GPU and the RAM runs hot resulting in (arguably) a breakdown of the solder connections. So it might be more likely that corner around the GPU (where the RAM chips are) that fail more often.

In saying this it would be possible that these so-called heat transfer pads (which are likely to be more solid than the original white MS pads) are effectively applying more pressure to this area on the GPU when the unit is reassembled.

Also, if any of those 4 RAM chips had similar problems with the connections this would have the same effect. beerchug.gif

silentwitness

• Archived User
« Reply #174 on: May 25, 2008, 04:03:00 PM »

good news this fix worked for me thanx xecuters and my 360 is working great now off to do some mindless killing gta IV style

droideka

• Archived User
« Reply #175 on: May 25, 2008, 04:14:00 PM »

QUOTE(silentwitness @ May 25 2008, 11:03 PM) View Post

good news this fix worked for me thanx xecuters and my 360 is working great now off to do some mindless killing gta IV style

do you know you're secondary code, i'm trying to see if this thing works besides 0102, as the ones i fixed all had this error. thanks

silentwitness

• Archived User
« Reply #176 on: May 26, 2008, 02:01:00 PM »

0102 and once i got 0103

silentwitness

• Archived User
« Reply #177 on: June 30, 2008, 03:04:00 PM »

ohh well im back to the 3RLOD, on the verge of givin up and buying a new console now

XBOXIZGOOD

• Archived User
« Reply #178 on: June 30, 2008, 05:51:00 PM »

I have a buddy who the RRoD a few weeks ago, and he was able to revive it. I'll try to call him tonight and see exactly what he did, but I know he said he didn't use any tutorials from here. When I find out, I'll post back.

1ic1

• Archived User
« Reply #179 on: June 30, 2008, 08:20:00 PM »

does this fix secondary error codes 0020, 0021??

i need to know unsure.gif
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]