xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox 360 Component Cable, No Tv - Hdswitch, Need Help  (Read 25 times)

tbpollard

• Archived User
Xbox 360 Component Cable, No Tv - Hdswitch, Need Help
« on: February 03, 2008, 06:41:00 PM »

I bought a suspicious component cable (it has the 3 component video cables, 2 audio, and one yellow sdtv rca plug), and whenever I try to change the reso higher than 480p it automatically changes back as well as displaying an image instructing me to move the switch from the tv position to the hdtv position.  Is there anyway I can fix this by altering the cable, I don't care if the yellow rca video cable doesnt work anymore.

RDC

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 07:43:00 PM »

What is a suspicious cable? If the switch is missing or damaged then you'll have to either fix it or break the connector down and set it to the HDTV setting.

tbpollard

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 09:28:00 PM »

The cable came with no switch at all.

I guess I really just want to know how exactly to get it set permanently to the HDTV setting.

RDC

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 10:43:00 PM »

Have any pics of this thing and what brand is it? or is it just the M$ brand cable with the switch broken off removed or what?

tbpollard

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 11:23:00 PM »

I believe it came off ebay (not really sure though got it from a friend). The plug that connects to the xbox has all the pins and such, so I was hoping there would be a way to de-solder or solder something in order to make it work correctly.

(IMG:http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/1649/dsc00590co3.th.jpg)
(IMG:http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/6777/dsc00591yt4.th.jpg)
(IMG:http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/661/dsc00592sa3.th.jpg)
(IMG:http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/1342/dsc00593gw0.th.jpg)

RDC

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 01:24:00 AM »

Is the switch on the back side of the connector? where the cable comes out. If it doesn't have any type of switch on it at all then that's the lamest thing ever right there and is useless for the average person that wants to use the Component side of it. With no switch to let the 360 know to output SD or HD it's really pointless to have the Component cables on it if it's hard wired for SD.

The thing is liable to be full of glue as most cables like that are, or just packed with the stuff the shell there is made of making it way more of a hassle to fix than just getting one that works like it should to start with. You'll have to tear the thing apart and wire it up so it's set to HD (jumper pins 26 and 28) and unwire the SD setting (un-jumper pins 22 and 24) plus I'd double check every other connection in there as well if you're going to go to that much trouble, if it was made with no switch I wouldn't be surprised if it had other issues also.

I'd toss that thing, or tear it down for the fun of it, but I'd get a good cable if I were you and not go thru the headache of rewiring that one unless you just want something to do. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

tbpollard

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 07:35:00 AM »

Yeah definitely no switch on the back, just a cheap plastic cover over the optical out port. Ill try to rewire it tonight. If all else fails I'll just get a new cable, any recommendations on an affordable component cable that isn't screwy?

tbpollard

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 07:47:00 AM »

(IMG:http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2006/11/wiring3_engadget_howto.jpg)

Those pin numbers correspond with this diagram, correct?

tbpollard

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 10:54:00 AM »

problem solved, pins 22 and 24 were jumpered as well as pins 26 and 28, just completely removed pins  22 and 24, problem solved. Thanks for the help

RDC

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 02:39:00 PM »

What a turd. If ya can, find out from your friend where he dug that thing up and let everyone know so they don't ever run into the same problem.

tbpollard

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 03:34:00 PM »

Ebay, stay away from nondescript ebay cables I would assume from now on.

sammydad1

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 09:43:00 PM »

Hi,

I got one of those ebay cheapy component cables...made in china sticker was the most prominent part....but it works great.  I am new to XBox360 but new to tech..more of a PC guy...but once I switched the little switch as directed at the dashboard....got the HD settings right away...  Thing only cost like $10 with shipping...  Hope it doesn't break apart one day...

Sd1