xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: 12v Fan Question  (Read 21 times)

hailtotheking15

• Archived User
12v Fan Question
« on: December 22, 2007, 06:40:00 PM »

having just opened case to do an led mod i noticed that when xbox 360 was on only one of the fans at theback was working??? removed the stock fans and tested on a 12v supply and both fans were working reconnect them into the xbox and still only on fan worked whats up with that???? any help.

RDC

• Archived User
12v Fan Question
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 09:54:00 PM »

One of these Transistors is shot, Q3A2 (top) or Q3M1 (bottom). This typically happens when something other than just the fans are plugged into and powered from the fan header.

hailtotheking15

• Archived User
12v Fan Question
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 05:19:00 AM »

if i was to cut and join the fan cables together would this be ok or would i run the risk or blowing the other transistor? thank for getting back to us RDS

RDC

• Archived User
12v Fan Question
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 07:10:00 AM »

That's the last thing ya wanna do, if ya 'double up' on the one fan that's still working it's liable to fry the other Transistor. The best thing to do is replace the part, but you can also power the fan(s) from some other power source in the 360 as well. Have a read HERE for part number info and other voltage sources if ya want to go that route.

hailtotheking15

• Archived User
12v Fan Question
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 07:21:00 AM »

thanks for the info will def not blow both fans looking now to see what part needed last question what iron do you use on the underside of the board for a 12v source tryed with my iron to heat up the solder and i think i could be there to next christmas and still hot heat it up enough, thanx again and merry christmas

RDC

• Archived User
12v Fan Question
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 08:42:00 AM »

Any decent 30w iron or so will do, there is a good bit of trace and all to heat up there, so ya need an iron with at least a little Wattage to it. I use a Hakko 926 (been replaced by the 936 now) but that's a bit much for someone that doesn't do a fair amount of soldering. Make sure the tip on your iron is in good shape, clean and tinned, you could solder rings around an expensive iron with a crappy tip compared  to a so-so iron with a well maintained one.