xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: 3rlod Fixed..then Not Fixed(help, Please)  (Read 14 times)

greencowboy

• Archived User
3rlod Fixed..then Not Fixed(help, Please)
« on: October 16, 2007, 04:47:00 PM »

hey guys. i did lawdawg's x clamp replacement and fixed a 3rlod 360. the 360 is functional but won't STAY cool. the only way to keep it cool for any amount of time is to have the motherboard/dvd drive out of the case w/ a house fan blowing onto it on the highest setting. that's cool and i have no trouble doing that in order to have a 360. the problem is that now the console is starting to freeze up all the time. i was playing halo 3 online for about 2 hrs last night w/ no problem at all and the day before that offline for about an hour w/ no trouble. last night it froze up after said 2 hours and gave me the 3 lights again. i had to go to bed so i just left it alone overnight. i booted it up today and it froze at the logo splash screen. turned it off...3 rlod. i let it heat up w/ 3 lights until it switched to 2 and then let it cool. when i booted it it worked for about 15 minutes then froze again. now it's freezing very often. so long story short im just wondering what the possible causes for the freezing are because i've proven that the console works and i think i just need to keep it cooler. please give me ANY suggestions you can think of.

Bandit5317

• Archived User
3rlod Fixed..then Not Fixed(help, Please)
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 06:28:00 PM »

It's not a cooling problem, it's the fact that it hasn't been properly fixed (sorry if I sound harsh, but it's the truth). The only part of Lawdawg's method, by the sound of your description, that actually fixed the console was when you overheated it. This will get it working, but not for very long. I did the same thing to one of my 360s a while back to fix it, and it did, for a week  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grr.gif) . Any form of overheating fix (towel trick, unplug the fans, heat gun, etc.) are only temporary, any 360 that's been fixed with any of these methods WILL break again. Don't try overheating it again because the more you do it, the harder it makes the console to fix the right way. The only reason it boots up at all is that one of the solder connections on the GPU is barely making contact, but as soon as it heats up at all, it slightly warps the motherboard and breaks the connection again. I suggest you try adjusting how tight the bolts are on the GPU. Other than that, you could try the 12 cent fix or pay for someone to reflow the GPU.