xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: 3 Rlod, Is There Any Way To Avoid It?  (Read 64 times)

ziggyt2001

• Archived User
3 Rlod, Is There Any Way To Avoid It?
« on: September 20, 2007, 12:26:00 PM »

I purchased my 360 on the day they came out.  So far, knock on wood, I have not gotten the 3 Red Lights of Dead.  I was just hoping anyone could help me to see if there is anything to prevent this from happening.  I've heard of the penny/rubber trick on the motherboard,  also adding new fans and others.  Do these work or are there better ways.  Thanks for any help you can give me as I would hate for this to happen with a modded box.

MarutiDriver

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 01:38:00 PM »

Guess the best preventive measure you could take is not using your console at all, but there's no fun in that, is there?

Some people opt for replacing the x-clamps right away, as this should eliminate the cause of the 3RLoD in the first place. Your call.

What I would do, is make sure the console is properly cooled, doing the shroud mods, adding heatsinks to the ram, etc etc, should help make it last longer.

Of course, if your console is still in it's warranty period, then don't do squat and let microshaft fix it when the time comes.

LIVE Prophet

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 01:50:00 PM »

Everybody's is still under warranty since they extended it 3 years (unless you opened yours of course).  So yea if I were you I would just wait until the warranty runs out and let MS fix it if you ever get the 3RLOD.

But to answer your question, here are some things you can do if you don't care about warranty:  

replace the main fans with Talismoon Whisper fan

do the fan shroud mod but use metal/aluminum duct tape instead (works heaps better, trust me. just dont get it on your mobo!)

add an extra fan on the CPU heat sink and a second blowing towards/underneath the DVD drive for the GPU heat sink (both fans can be powered from the front fan header, which is another tutorial available here)

Consider doing the 12v fan mod, at least to one of the fans anyway (preferably the GPU fan)

add a 3rd fan to the mobo underside (drill hole in metal case and plastic case, then add new rubber feet for airflow underneath the 360)

X-clamp replacement (I would only do if you actually have the 3RLOD)

Thermal replacement (remove old paste on gpu and cpu, and replacement AS5 or some other good brand)

MarutiDriver

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 02:10:00 PM »

I had forgotten about replacing the thermal paste. That would be a good preventing measure, replace the crap compund microshaft uses for a good silver based one.

LIVE Prophet

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 02:12:00 PM »

Yea thats why i think AS5 is the best (unless its been proven otherwise)