xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: 12v Source Under Mobo Hard To Get At  (Read 50 times)

RDC

• Archived User
12v Source Under Mobo Hard To Get At
« on: July 16, 2007, 05:01:00 AM »

Use any number of the 12v spots that are on top of the board. wink.gif

RDC

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 06:40:00 AM »

Every 12v spot big enough to tack a wire onto, as well as any other 12v spot, all go back to the 12v spot under the PSU plug, so take yer pick gents. wink.gif

Soldering onto a tab of one of the FETs might be a little difficult if ya don't have a soldering iron that's up to it.

RBJTech

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 09:06:00 AM »

These are the ones I use for the 'aftercooler' - they are directly connected to the 12 rails from the PSU so ensure you have good clean connections on them.  They are also small pads - so you should have no trouble soldering to them properly.  I hope this helps ...

IPB Image

TheGOAT99

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 02:38:00 PM »

I just finished my 12v fan mod using the 12v point RBJ recommended and its working perfectly... It's just a bit noisy now!

Any ideas how I can fix that RBJ  wink.gif ... Only joking you have saved my 360 (which had 3ROLD) with all your tuts so I am very greatful.

lukebe

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 03:54:00 PM »

Thanks guys... legends!!!

I was too close to the problem and so focused on fixing that one 12v point I always use to think and try a different point.

RDC

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 04:04:00 PM »

QUOTE(TheGOAT99 @ Jul 16 2007, 05:14 PM) View Post

I just finished my 12v fan mod using the 12v point RBJ recommended and its working perfectly... It's just a bit noisy now!

Any ideas how I can fix that RBJ  wink.gif ... Only joking you have saved my 360 (which had 3ROLD) with all your tuts so I am very greatful.

You can solder the ground wires of your fans to a 5v spot, that'll make them run at 7v and they'll be a lot more quiet but still move more air than running at 5v.

lukebe

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 05:02:00 AM »

QUOTE(TheGOAT99 @ Jul 17 2007, 07:07 PM) View Post

Thanks RDC... I'll see if I can put up with the noise at 12v first if I can't then I'll give the 7v a go.

Has anyone on x-s made a dynamic heat/cooling system for their 360? I know the 360 has a dynamic system as standard but it sucks and from reading a thread on here about it the 360 has to get very hot before the voltage starts to go up.

I wired up a Zalman fanmate controller from a 12v line and stuck the dial on the outside. Then I can turn the voltage up or down depending on the season/time of night. It works great.

RBJTech

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 05:21:00 AM »

QUOTE(TheGOAT99 @ Jul 17 2007, 10:07 AM) View Post

Thanks RDC... I'll see if I can put up with the noise at 12v first if I can't then I'll give the 7v a go.

Has anyone on x-s made a dynamic heat/cooling system for their 360? I know the 360 has a dynamic system as standard but it sucks and from reading a thread on here about it the 360 has to get very hot before the voltage starts to go up.

to increase the 'start' voltage (normally 5.4v) then you just need to solder a resistor from the voltage reg transistor to ground.

see here Thread

I now solder a 22K resistor from the red point shown to a local ground to increase the start voltage to 6v - it works very well and it's also quieter believe it or not - must be something to do with the acoustics in the fan shroud..

For the full package (temp controlled), then use a thermistor as per the thread - but it's grief mounting it etc so it's easier to just up the voltage a bit.

TheGOAT99

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 07:55:00 AM »

QUOTE(xb360xls @ Jul 17 2007, 02:04 PM) View Post

Just found this thread, can someone please tell me exactly what wires I need to cut/join/solder etc. etc. from my talismoon fans onto the pictures shown by RBJ above to obtain 12v??  Also which wires goes to which point 0v   +12v switched??

Thanks for helping a noob!!

I did it for a stock fan but it will be the same for the talismoon fans you just need to check the wire colours.

I first cut the red and brown wires (stock fan) and soldered them both to a 30cm wire I took from a rj45 cable (only one wire not the whole cable  wink.gif ) Taped that up with insulation tape. Then soldered the other end of the wire to the +12v point RBJ pointed out.

Leave the two ground wires from each fan attached to the plug and plug it into the motherboard so that they are grounded.

lukebe

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 04:55:00 PM »

QUOTE(xb360xls @ Jul 18 2007, 03:08 AM) View Post

thanks. can anyone confirm or let me know if the stock and talismoon wire colors are the same or what wires i need to cut on the talismoon fans?? thanks.

They are different colours. From memory the stock wires you want to cut are brown and blue. The talismoon are like red and white. You can't really miss them on the talismoon as I know 2 of them are black and these are the grounds. Same principal for the stock fans in that the grounds are both the same colour.

Like it was said earlier. I had 1 piece of new wire that I soldered onto RBJ's 12v source. The other end I twisted with the 2 wires to carry the 12v on the fans. Put some tape around it but left the grounds in the fan plug onto the mobo.

xb360xls

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 05:13:00 PM »

Got it!! Thanks for the clear instructions everyone, I see them wires, yep red and white to be cut, and will be doing this mod later tonite.

xb360xls

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2007, 05:48:00 PM »

Oh yes, another question, been a while since I soldered anything... At this solder point and from the looks of it, I guess I can simply heat up my solder-gun and place the wire at that solder point and let the existing lead solder the wire??

Looks like there is enough and I don't need to add any more lead right??

lukebe

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2007, 12:43:00 AM »

QUOTE(xb360xls @ Jul 18 2007, 10:24 AM) View Post

Oh yes, another question, been a while since I soldered anything... At this solder point and from the looks of it, I guess I can simply heat up my solder-gun and place the wire at that solder point and let the existing lead solder the wire??

Looks like there is enough and I don't need to add any more lead right??

I'm not very experienced at soldering myself, but I put a TINY speck of solder on the end of the wire (sort of more on the side of the wire) before going near the point on the board. Then when I did attach it to the 12v point my little solder melted more from the top-down to hold the wire in place.