xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: 2 Different Hard Drives, 2 Different Noise Levels.  (Read 19 times)

stormz

• Archived User
2 Different Hard Drives, 2 Different Noise Levels.
« on: June 27, 2007, 06:50:00 AM »

my old hard drive that i got about a year ago with my first premium 360 has a smooth polished, silver almost shinny texture and is completely silent when connecting it to my PC.

my second that is about 6 months old also from a premium 360, but it has a more greyish rough texture with a matte finish and when i first plug it in i can hear it spinning up for about a second then its silent until i unplug it when it makes a slowing down noise.

is there a problem with the newer one? or is the noise normal. what other difference is there between the two other than case and noise?

RDC

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 12:13:00 PM »

You're just hearing the motor that spins the platter up then hearing it spin down, no big deal. It may have a different version of HDD in it, but the noise is normal. Even if they are both identical drives, no 2 of the same thing are exactly the same anyway. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

stormz

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 12:53:00 PM »

o ok. just seems strange that one is silent but one noisy.

makes me scared to keep attaching it, cus it seems like its wearing out or somthing

RDC

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 01:07:00 PM »

It's not in any more danger than the one you can't hear is. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Noises to be worried about from a HDD are clicking, grinding or screeching type of sounds, what you're hearing is perfectly normal for most drives and if ya listen close I'll bet you'll hear it on the other HDD as well, just not as pronounced.

stormz

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 04:25:00 AM »

its the DVD drive that makes those noises lol