xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: (Rumor) MS Adding 2nd GPU HeatSink for Better Cooling?  (Read 1206 times)

jimbobjim

• Archived User
(Rumor) MS Adding 2nd GPU HeatSink for Better Cooling?
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2007, 02:13:00 AM »

QUOTE(benbon @ Jun 13 2007, 07:06 AM) View Post

Today I opened a New Refurbished Xbox 360 and it came with this heat sink on it. Check out the this YouTube video

Woah! looks like it is real. I can already see the blue 40mm led fans attached to the new heatsink laugh.gif There's now going to be two classes of 360... the hot ROD ones noone wants and these new ones.

If a third party company manufactured and sold a copy heatsink they'd make a mint.

M$ should replace everyones heatsinks, but lets face it, that aint gonna happen.

Anyone else got footage or pics? I'm still not 100% convinced.

RBJTech

• Archived User
« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2007, 02:13:00 AM »

If MS redesigned the heatsink - they are almost admitting that the previous design was insufficient - therefore they will be liable for a recall.  In other words, I believe this is not a MS solution...

However, if MS redesign the heatsink in conjunction with the 65nM processors, then they go hand in hand and this will be seen as acceptable.

Anyway on the design...

Somebody has finally put a heatpipe in to pipe the heat to a radiator - great.

Look where the rad is - it sits under the top vent holes in the metal cage so it will get a fairly decent airflow but I'm not sure if this will be enough.  I think this is the correct orientation - if you put it the other way (ie inline with the main CPU h/s)  then you are not going to get airflow across the fins (unless you extend the airflow shroud).

I'd also be interested to see how the heatpipe is mounted - the pipe will need a copper base to spread the heat into the pipe - if it just sits on the mounts in the photo, then it's going to be no use at all.

A good development I think - lets see what happens ...

Need more pictures though - or a sample to do some proper testing .. wink.gif  If it's good and it's reasonable cost then consider 4 of them already sold ...

DrJeckyll

• Archived User
« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2007, 02:31:00 AM »

QUOTE(jimbobjim @ Jun 13 2007, 10:49 AM) View Post

Woah! looks like it is real. I can already see the blue 40mm led fans attached to the new heatsink laugh.gif There's now going to be two classes of 360... the hot ROD ones noone wants and these new ones.

If you can flip the extra radiator 90 degrees and do a divider mod too I'll bet it'll do much better than this. And some AS5 wouldn't hurt.

kensterdotnet

• Archived User
« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2007, 02:33:00 AM »

QUOTE(benbon @ Jun 13 2007, 07:06 AM) View Post

Today I opened a New Refurbished Xbox 360 and it came with this heat sink on it. Check out the this YouTube video

Can you take some pictures?

klewan

• Archived User
« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2007, 02:35:00 AM »

damn my xcm addon fan is already at this position wink.gif

maybe we can get a XCM - replacement GPU cooler + heatpipe thingy wink.gif

DrJeckyll

• Archived User
« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2007, 02:49:00 AM »

I saw that XCM-fan just now on youtube. It's funny but they used the wrong fans. This thing will blow more air down onto the board than actually into the sinks.

benbon

• Archived User
« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2007, 04:56:00 AM »

QUOTE(jimbobjim @ Jun 13 2007, 09:49 AM) View Post

If a third party company manufactured and sold a copy heatsink they'd make a mint.

M$ should replace everyones heatsinks, but lets face it, that aint gonna happen.

Anyone else got footage or pics? I'm still not 100% convinced.

LOL your not 100% yet? I can show you on my web cam smile.gif

"blue 40mm led fans attached to the new heatsink" Where can I buy these fans?

QUOTE(RiPpN-N-TrIppN @ Jun 13 2007, 07:13 AM) View Post

the link isnt working yet
did u take the mobo outta the case and see if they made any changes to the x clamps
some photos would be great
Rip

Link works now

ausmods

• Archived User
« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2007, 05:13:00 AM »

About time they made a better heat sink for the GPU....

Sorry i havent read through the thread or anything, but is this in many peoples 360s yet or something?

grim_d

• Archived User
« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2007, 05:34:00 AM »

QUOTE(schizzlefuzz @ Jun 13 2007, 03:34 AM) View Post

I feel like I am the only one with a launch 360 that is played regularly that isnt banned and doesnt have the 3 red lights.

don't worry buddy, theres a few of us smile.gif

lowendfrequency

• Archived User
« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2007, 06:22:00 AM »

MS is not afraid to redesign the mobo several times, yet when it comes to fixing an overheating problem... this is the solution?  I don't know about this one... looks very ghetto rigged to be a permanent solution for MS to offer.  I'm going to chalk this one off as "don't believe" until they start showing up in lots of boxes.

Martinchris23

• Archived User
« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2007, 08:18:00 AM »

QUOTE(lowendfrequency @ Jun 13 2007, 12:58 PM) View Post

MS is not afraid to redesign the mobo several times, yet when it comes to fixing an overheating problem... this is the solution?  I don't know about this one... looks very ghetto rigged to be a permanent solution for MS to offer.  I'm going to chalk this one off as "don't believe" until they start showing up in lots of boxes.

OK - there are 2 options:

1. This is an Official MS fix
2. This is a user/3rd party fix.

If it's #2, then why haven't we seen this mentioned before (or at least advertised)?

If you're sceptical that MS would offer such a Ghetto solution, may I cast your mind back to the Xbox power supply issue a couple of years ago? Instead of recalling the consoles, they sent out power breakers so if/when the power supply went pop, it wouldn't burn down your house.

• Archived User
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2007, 09:00:00 AM »

QUOTE(Martinchris23 @ Jun 13 2007, 09:54 AM) View Post

If you're skeptical that MS would offer such a Ghetto solution, may I cast your mind back to the Xbox power supply issue a couple of years ago? Instead of recalling the consoles, they sent out power breakers so if/when the power supply went pop, it wouldn't burn down your house.

exactly, this is a MS solution and a cheap one nevertheless - esp since all they have to do is repair the older ones.  i would expect to see a possibly different solution for newly produced mobos unless the 65 nm will really be that much cooler...

DuBob4432

• Archived User
« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2007, 11:31:00 AM »

QUOTE(RBJTech @ Jun 13 2007, 01:49 AM) View Post

If MS redesigned the heatsink - they are almost admitting that the previous design was insufficient - therefore they will be liable for a recall.  In other words, I believe this is not a MS solution...

However, if MS redesign the heatsink in conjunction with the 65nM processors, then they go hand in hand and this will be seen as acceptable.

Anyway on the design...

Somebody has finally put a heatpipe in to pipe the heat to a radiator - great.

Look where the rad is - it sits under the top vent holes in the metal cage so it will get a fairly decent airflow but I'm not sure if this will be enough.  I think this is the correct orientation - if you put it the other way (ie inline with the main CPU h/s)  then you are not going to get airflow across the fins (unless you extend the airflow shroud).

I'd also be interested to see how the heatpipe is mounted - the pipe will need a copper base to spread the heat into the pipe - if it just sits on the mounts in the photo, then it's going to be no use at all.

A good development I think - lets see what happens ...

Need more pictures though - or a sample to do some proper testing .. wink.gif  If it's good and it's reasonable cost then consider 4 of them already sold ...

RBJTech -

i think here is the pic you need -

IPB Image

it is just a stock heatsink from what the pic looks like sad.gif  i guess it would give a bit more surface area w/ the heatpipe but i wonder why ms doesn't do a real mod for it?  plus now it is blocking any chance of the ram chip from getting a hs on it.

maybe they aren't using copper as they already know what i am finding - the copper ones are HEAVY and with there current method of attachment it would be worse than the aluminum from a structural standpoint.

RBJTech

• Archived User
« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2007, 04:48:00 PM »

Thanks DuBob - can see the 'design' better now ..

As you say looks like they channelled a section out the stock heatsink, stuck in a heatpipe and clamped it back ... it doesn't look like a copper base at all ... sad.gif

Also interesting why the pipe is not in the middle of the fins - you'd think it would cool better if it was in the 'middle' - must be a reason why it's offset .. ?  Mind you, also noticed this on the CPU heatsink, the pipe is offset on the top row ...

I personally still think a rear facing heatpipe utilising the space in the air duct for the CPU side exhaust would have been a better solution..

DuBob4432

• Archived User
« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2007, 06:18:00 PM »

the only thought i have is since there shroud is not an equal 50/50 design or even a design favoring the gpu, this gives them the ability to move the heat to an area that will have more air flow over it via the shroud and the extra air the cpu gets.  i really wonder how much better this will be as the air getting inside the unit period is limited.  if they were serious about this they could make a totally new cooling design out of copper, make the correct attaching mechanism and even cover the ram too.  this seems like a very weak attempt to fix the issue.

also, i have not seen any pics of the attaching mechanism, so i am assuming it is the clamp.... sad.gif
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6