xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: (Rumor) MS Adding 2nd GPU HeatSink for Better Cooling?  (Read 1205 times)

jimbobjim

• Archived User
(Rumor) MS Adding 2nd GPU HeatSink for Better Cooling?
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2007, 04:50:00 PM »

QUOTE(DrJeckyll @ Jun 13 2007, 12:15 AM) View Post

Take a closer look at the picture. In both positions the extra radiator is above heatsink-base level.

Yeah it is when it is horizontal, but when the console is vertical the new heatsink will be below the original gpu heatsink. This means the newly cooled liquid will not be able to flow back to the heat source (the gpu)

SD5150

• Archived User
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2007, 04:53:00 PM »

I want one to install under my TS-MS25!

KingViper

• Archived User
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2007, 05:00:00 PM »

QUOTE(jimbobjim @ Jun 12 2007, 05:46 PM) View Post

I'm with you. I did some searching and found this
It seems that when the hot vapour is cooled it turns to liquid which as we all know, needs gravity to flow where it's needed. If the console is vertical it can't flow back up to the main GPU heatsink.

Actually, if you do some more research, which I did after DrJeckyll posted, there are multiple types of heatpipes. If you look for a heatpipe that uses wicking, you fill find that orientation makes no difference; however, I still think this is fake, because from what I read about wicking heatpipes, they are substantially more expensive to implement.

jimbobjim

• Archived User
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2007, 05:18:00 PM »

QUOTE(KingViper @ Jun 13 2007, 12:36 AM) View Post

Actually, if you do some more research, which I did after DrJeckyll posted, there are multiple types of heatpipes. If you look for a heatpipe that uses wicking, you fill find that orientation makes no difference; however, I still think this is fake, because from what I read about wicking heatpipes, they are substantially more expensive to implement.

Good call. I still think it's fake though. It's just not Microsofts style, and it's way too expensive looking.

spinr34

• Archived User
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2007, 05:19:00 PM »

the pic is definitely real. whether we see it go into production or not is something that is unanswered. however, i do not belidve that pic was photoshopped or edited.

throwingks

• Archived User
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2007, 05:23:00 PM »

I don't believe it. Where is this heat supposed to go? It is still inside the 360.

tgm4883

• Archived User
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2007, 05:43:00 PM »

QUOTE(spinr34 @ Jun 12 2007, 05:55 PM) View Post

the pic is definitely real. whether we see it go into production or not is something that is unanswered. however, i do not belidve that pic was photoshopped or edited.

Agreed, when I said fake I meant that it wasn't an OEM part produced by MS, but rather a third party addon

BasicAir

• Archived User
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2007, 06:15:00 PM »

So....

Do I wait the 2-3+ months to buy an Elite with this upgrade (and other upgrades) or bite the bullet and buy one now?

I've been putting off my 3rd 360 purchase for a month now, all because I'm wanting to wait for the next batch of elites with tons of upgrades like this. Is it still a good idea or are they probably not going to be out until X'Mas 07 or 08.

schizzlefuzz

• Archived User
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2007, 07:58:00 PM »

I feel like I am the only one with a launch 360 that is played regularly that isnt banned and doesnt have the 3 red lights.  The motherboard isnt even screwed down to the metal shield, the clamps are holding the heatsinks down by themselves,  it has the stock fans, and it works completely fine.  On topic, I personally think it would be more useful if they made the GPU heatsink out of copper and made the base completely flat and smooth, rather than using a heatpipe and sticking some fins in front of the CPU heatsink.

And is it just me, or do watermarks from lame websites get bigger and more annoying every day?

prplehz

• Archived User
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2007, 08:24:00 PM »

QUOTE(schizzlefuzz @ Jun 12 2007, 07:34 PM) View Post

I feel like I am the only one with a launch 360 that is played regularly that isnt banned and doesnt have the 3 red lights.  The motherboard isnt even screwed down to the metal shield, the clamps are holding the heatsinks down by themselves,  it has the stock fans, and it works completely fine.  On topic, I personally think it would be more useful if they made the GPU heatsink out of copper and made the base completely flat and smooth, rather than using a heatpipe and sticking some fins in front of the CPU heatsink.

And is it just me, or do watermarks from lame websites get bigger and more annoying every day?

You aren't the only one my friend smile.gif  And yes they are getting bigger and more annoying

DuBob4432

• Archived User
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2007, 08:25:00 PM »

personally think it is kind of a dumb idea.  ms has the resources and all they need to do even if they want to keep the shitty aluminum gpu heatsink is to put in talismoon fans and then use RBJTechs shroud divider, put some type of covering over the heatsinks that seal them to the shroud and replace the xclamps.

and as far as the clamps don't put any stress on anything, i have seen a gpu heatsink that was warped - pulled down around the mounting points and the center was higher up, so yes, there is stress on the gpu heatsink which would lead me to believe there is stress on the board as well.

in a better world, they would use copper for the gpu heatsink, but even if they didn't, they could make do w/ the stock piece that is in there.

i still doubt they will ever do anything because then they would be admitting they were wrong and that would probably lead to a 360 recall for a retrofit, so i hope i am wrong, but the shitty cooling is with us unless we fix it ourselves.

benbon

• Archived User
« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2007, 11:30:00 PM »

Today I opened a New Refurbished Xbox 360 and it came with this heat sink on it. Check out the this YouTube video

ca102455

• Archived User
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2007, 12:05:00 AM »

This bodge attempt cant be for real? Surely M$ & IBM would come up with a better more professional solution than this cheap looking add on.

So if this is for real M$ are admitting a design floor in the 360 & surely existing customers would have some legal rights around this. Like if this does go ahead surely M$ would have to do a full product recall on all old design consoles & upgrade everyones console rather than just modifying newly sold units.

Well its about time this was addressed maybe someone with legal knowledge out there can throw some light on where existing customers stand & if M$ must legally perform a full product recall.

After all other manufacturers do product recalls all the time  grr.gif  grr.gif

RiPpN-N-TrIppN

• Archived User
« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2007, 12:12:00 AM »

haha they dont have to do a recall
and the customers dont have any legal rights to demand this upgrade
if i go out and buy a new car
then 2 months later they release the same car but with diffrent seats does that mean i can demand they recall my car to change the seats over
shittty example i no but im just trying to say that its never going to happen
they will replace what needs to be replaced
ie if you send back a broken box they will fix it
there not going to fix whats not broken and there not going to fix what they dont need to
Rip

Martinchris23

• Archived User
« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2007, 01:39:00 AM »

QUOTE(RiPpN-N-TrIppN @ Jun 13 2007, 06:48 AM) View Post

haha they dont have to do a recall
and the customers dont have any legal rights to demand this upgrade
if i go out and buy a new car
then 2 months later they release the same car but with diffrent seats does that mean i can demand they recall my car to change the seats over
shittty example i no but im just trying to say that its never going to happen
they will replace what needs to be replaced
ie if you send back a broken box they will fix it
there not going to fix whats not broken and there not going to fix what they dont need to
Rip

Well I don't know about the rest of the world, but in the UK it's very clear.

Under the 1979 Sale of Goods Act, a product must be fit for purpose and free of defects.

If MS implement this 'fix' into future 360s, they are effectively saying the previous incarnation was defective - ergo, you are entitled to a like for like replacement. The only grey area is the amount of time passed. This is statutory law in the UK and supercedes any clauses in contracts and warranties.

Oh and BTW, it applies to all products including cars smile.gif

Martin
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6