xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: (Rumor) MS Adding 2nd GPU HeatSink for Better Cooling?  (Read 1203 times)

tgm4883

• Archived User
(Rumor) MS Adding 2nd GPU HeatSink for Better Cooling?
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2007, 02:41:00 PM »

QUOTE(10001110101 @ Jun 12 2007, 12:45 PM) View Post

what they need to do is add more copper heatsinks/heatpipes. Copper absorbs nearly twice the amount of heat than a silver heatsink. Also i think they should get rid of the fan cover and just add more fans, it can direct itself out the xbox anyways, thats what my computer does.

I think you mean Aluminum.  Silver conducts more heat than Copper.

Silver is only about 7% better at transfering heat than copper, but costs 57 times more.  That is why copper is used instead of silver, better bang for the buck.

DrJeckyll

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2007, 02:49:00 PM »

QUOTE(Boiker @ Jun 12 2007, 11:06 PM) View Post

Better then the original though you have to agree right?

That's probably what the engineers said to each other with a big frown on their faces.
Maybe we'll see massive CPU-failures if this thing works too well  tongue.gif

QUOTE(Basin @ Jun 12 2007, 11:17 PM) View Post

This seems an awfully expensive way to fix a problem that RBJtech's methods fix using a few £s worth of screws and some cereal packet....
In fact I bet the x-clamp bolt replacement works out cheaper than the custom made and wasteful of sheet metal x-clamp design does.

An X-clamp replacement isn't a fix. It is a method to counteract the board flexing caused by overheating. MS's solution does tackle the heat problem....just barely..

Consolerealm

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2007, 02:51:00 PM »

Why would they mount that in the front instead of in the rear where the system is exhausting like behind the shroud. Also now they're exposing more hot air onto the already maxed out cpu heatsink.

MS hasn't a clue what they are doing! Maybe the should approach Thermaltake on a proper cooling solution for the 360 instead of just guessing!

Microsoft nice attempt but it needs work.

Boiker

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2007, 02:54:00 PM »

QUOTE(Consolerealm @ Jun 12 2007, 10:27 PM) View Post

Why would they mount that in the front instead of in the rear where the system is exhausting like behind the shroud. Also now they're exposing more hot air onto the already maxed out cpu heatsink.

I agree it should be behind and perhaps in the shroud but how do you know the CPU sink is maxed out? It could potentially transfer more heat, hence the new mini GPU sink infront of it. Well maybe  rolleyes.gif

DrJeckyll

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2007, 02:59:00 PM »

They should have held a contest for the best cooling solution. Would be fun to see how much people can do it better than MS.

mlmadmax

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2007, 03:04:00 PM »

well IF this is true it is about GODDAM time!!!!

Consolerealm

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2007, 03:08:00 PM »

QUOTE(Boiker @ Jun 12 2007, 05:30 PM) View Post

I agree it should be behind and perhaps in the shroud but how do you know the CPU sink is maxed out? It could potentially transfer more heat, hence the new mini GPU sink infront of it. Well maybe  rolleyes.gif

Have you held your hand on the cpu heatsink say while you are playing Gears of War it gets very f'in hot much hotter then the gpu sink does. Not saying the gpu does not still need a little help like what they just came out with. But adding it in front of the cpu is just poor research and engineering.

Now if they flip that new heat-pipe and cooling fins around to the back and add a fan the the front of the cpu heatsink that would keep at least then half of the 3rod's at bay.

Boiker

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2007, 03:14:00 PM »

QUOTE(Consolerealm @ Jun 12 2007, 10:44 PM) View Post

Have you held your hand on the cpu heatsink say while you are playing Gears of War it gets very f'in hot much hotter then the gpu sink does. Not saying the gpu does not still need a little help like what they just came out with. But adding it in front of the cpu is just poor research and engineering.

Now if they flip that new heat-pipe and cooling fins around to the back and add a fan the the front of the cpu heatsink that would keep at least then half of the 3rod's at bay.

I did say I agreed that it should be behind the sinks and in the fan duct. I just think that it also could work infront. Obviously not as well though. I'm sure there is a reason they put it there, I mean it has to have crossed their mind when they put that together. Me myself, I can't see any reason for it not to be there. Who knows, it'll probably change before hitting the shelves, it might not even be from Microsoft!

KingViper

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2007, 03:15:00 PM »

I'm gonna put my vote on fake. Is it not true that if you place the Xbox 360 standing up, that this cooling solution will not work? The hot liquid inside the heatpipe will stay over the chip (because it rises) and not flow downwards toward the cooling fins.

DrJeckyll

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2007, 03:25:00 PM »

QUOTE(KingViper @ Jun 12 2007, 11:51 PM) View Post

I'm gonna put my vote on fake. Is it not true that if you place the Xbox 360 standing up, that this cooling solution will not work? The hot liquid inside the heatpipe will stay over the chip (because it rises) and not flow downwards toward the cooling fins.

No, it turns to gas so it always flows to the hottest point where it cooles and turns liquid again flowing down.

Broads

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2007, 03:25:00 PM »

Well about time m$ are taking some action.    If it works I'm all for it,  as I am currently waiting for my second repair to come back..  Bet it went for repair before this fix is wide spread...

ps whats an xclamp?

tgm4883

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2007, 03:54:00 PM »

QUOTE(DrJeckyll @ Jun 12 2007, 04:01 PM) View Post

No, it turns to gas so it always flows to the hottest point where it cooles and turns liquid again flowing down.

Fake, if the console is on it's side then the cooling area will be below the GPU, and the cooling area CAN"t be below the GPU.

Now with that being said, its a fake from MS, but it could be sold by a third party fully stating that it only works while horizontal

jimbobjim

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2007, 04:10:00 PM »

QUOTE(tgm4883 @ Jun 12 2007, 11:30 PM) View Post

Fake, if the console is on it's side then the cooling area will be below the GPU, and the cooling area CAN"t be below the GPU.

I'm with you. I did some searching and found this
It seems that when the hot vapour is cooled it turns to liquid which as we all know, needs gravity to flow where it's needed. If the console is vertical it can't flow back up to the main GPU heatsink.

DrJeckyll

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2007, 04:39:00 PM »

Take a closer look at the picture. In both positions the extra radiator is above heatsink-base level.

tgm4883

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2007, 04:46:00 PM »

QUOTE(DrJeckyll @ Jun 12 2007, 05:15 PM) View Post

Take a closer look at the picture. In both positions the extra radiator is above heatsink-base level.

No, if you turn the console on its side then teh extra radiator is below the heatsink.  (The bottom of the 360 is on the right side of the first picture and the top of the second picture.)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6