xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: System Not Starting Properly  (Read 11 times)

bludtdh

• Archived User
System Not Starting Properly
« on: May 16, 2007, 08:25:00 AM »

- I've had gpu problems over the last couple of months (no video, but audio)
- The heatgun fix the first 5-10 times I did it but eventually stopped working completely

A couple of months ago, my system's startup has become unusual.  While trying to repair it, w/ the heatgun fix,  at some point the LED lights (4 green lights) stopped flashing like they normally do when the system powers on (I'm talking about the 1st, 2nd, 3rd then 4th quadrants lighting up green (in sequential order) and then all of them lighting up at the same time).

Yesterday I did the x-clamp replacement (genius idea) and I had hoped that the bad solder joints under the gpu would reflow when the system overheated w/o the fan hooked up but I don't think it's working.

Do I have another problem other then bad gpu solder joints or does the bad gpu solder joints problem prevent the green LED lights from flashing in order and then together at startup?

thx in advance  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

sinister slipknot

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 03:14:00 PM »

What does the RoL do? Does it display an error code or just do nothing at all, what about the power led? Also the heat gun trick, and overheating the console are only temporary solutions. The X-clamp replacement method should work without overheating, if you have to overheat it to get it to work then your problems are going to come back.

If your getting the 3RLOD (with the 0102/0020 secondary code) then the X-clamp replacement is the way to go, you might need to keep tweaking your set up though. Like the tutorial says to do 3 washers on both the CPU and GPU (but possibly 2 on the GPU) and people have had success with 2 or even 1 washer on the GPU. Personally i use 2 washers on the CPU and 3 on the GPU, although my GPU isn't tightly done up.

DrJeckyll

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 06:01:00 PM »

Did you replace the thermal paste?

bludtdh

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 01:34:00 PM »

the system starts and the only light that ever lights up is the center light (on the module) (the 4 quadrant lights don't  flash at startup like it is supposed to do) (like when you press the sync button).

after about 10 secs I get the ROD lights and the error code is 0022, which is gpu related, error or overheating

Yes, I replaced the paste, now I'm using Artic Silver 5 instead of the Dynex that I got from BestBuy

I followed the x clamp tutorial exactly.  The the x clamp mod hasn't changed anything, same exact problem as I mentioned above.

will try three and one washer on gpu now