xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: E74 Error After X-clamp Repair  (Read 310 times)

palote

• Archived User
E74 Error After X-clamp Repair
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2007, 08:48:00 AM »

QUOTE(2hry @ Jul 8 2007, 04:23 PM) *

aubrey76

they think its the ana chip

Thanks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Skv012a

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2008, 10:40:00 AM »

My Elite got E74 and after some USELESS googling, I came across "E74 = RAM overheat and NOTHING to do with ANA/HANA." Since I had to change the sh1tty paste on the C/GPUs, what I did was a combo of X-clamp and "penny" fix aside from ghetto and retarded side of it.

Solution? 4 washer x-clamp fix(i propped CPU with plastic bits, but I don't know whether it even matters or not); then 2 pieces of 1mm thick aluminum big enough to cover the RAM chips right under GPU sink, buttered front and back with a thin creamy layer of Noctua NT-H1. Thus both C/GPU have good paste and contact with the sink and RAM is properly connected to the GPU sink. After that I did the 2 minute overheat and 10-15 min cooldown. Plugged everything back in and it was ready to roll.

Can't say whether aluminum padding or the overheat fixed it, but I'd try aluminum first and include it in the X-clamp fix since it really can't hurt.

mightywiz

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2008, 11:57:00 AM »

it's still a gpu problem....

everyone i've done it's always the gpu

redo the x-clamp and you need to concentrate on the corners of the chip
someone us using credit card pieces on each corner
for a more even pressure when tightening the heatsink
down.... this will fix the e74 error
don't waste your time with the ana chip

the reason it's an ana chip error cause the ana chips not detecting the correct signals
from the gpu.....

herbman01

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2008, 02:05:00 AM »

I have repaired several rrod errors and a few E74 errors, both need the x clamps removed but to solve the E74 I use 2 1mm metal washers and artic silver on the memory chips. So far I have had a 100% success rate.Hope this helps you out. biggrin.gif  cool.gif

Millerboy3

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2008, 07:21:00 AM »

QUOTE(herbman01 @ Dec 15 2008, 04:41 AM) View Post

I have repaired several rrod errors and a few E74 errors, both need the x clamps removed but to solve the E74 I use 2 1mm metal washers and artic silver on the memory chips. So far I have had a 100% success rate.Hope this helps you out. biggrin.gif  cool.gif

this worked for me aswell.

akersjp

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2008, 09:53:00 AM »

QUOTE(Millerboy3 @ Dec 15 2008, 03:57 PM) View Post

this worked for me aswell.

Is there a link to this procedure?  I'd like to try it out as I just got the E74 error as well.  Thanks.

pcrazy99

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2009, 04:56:00 PM »

QUOTE(mightywiz @ Oct 15 2008, 08:13 AM) View Post

it's still a gpu problem....

everyone i've done it's always the gpu

redo the x-clamp and you need to concentrate on the corners of the chip
someone us using credit card pieces on each corner
for a more even pressure when tightening the heatsink
down.... this will fix the e74 error
don't waste your time with the ana chip

the reason it's an ana chip error cause the ana chips not detecting the correct signals
from the gpu.....

Which one is the GPU chip?  I don't want to take both heatsinks off again.

ren3g7ade

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2010, 08:34:00 PM »

http://e74error.com/...php?page=videos

This is how I fixed the E74 Error on my xbox. It worked like a charm and was really easy too.

The GPU heatsink is the one below the DVD-ROM i.e. the shorter one.

litium33

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2010, 03:32:00 PM »

QUOTE(ren3g7ade @ Jan 12 2010, 04:34 AM) View Post

It really works fine.
Fixed many x360 showing an E74 following your instructions.
Thank You!
L

Jimbobjoeyman

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2010, 12:54:00 PM »

only ever fixed 2 e74 xboxs reflowing the hana and hybrid x clamp usually does the trick

darthdavid14

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2010, 05:49:00 PM »

I have performed the x clamp mod on my box and about a week or two later I have gotten E74. I have done slot of searching for the fix and reason for the error. I have figured that the reason could be from constant overheating or AV failure. I believe that my Knox is suffering from overheating. If overheating has been a frequent visitor of the box the soldering joints from the ANA HANA chip. This chip doesn't heat its self *i don't think so* the GPU is what heats up every thing. So what I found you can do to the box is use a heat gun on the bottom of the mother board. But don't do that just by what I say go figure it out on your own. Google Lowe's  heat gun xbox fix and I'm sure you can find something. When your done fixing the box I should through in some modifications to keep the box running Cooley. I suggest that you throw in some exterior cooling fans. I have two cooling fans gang banging my box, since it still runs very warm I should add more thermal compound to the heat sinks, and add yet another exterior fan. But stated earlier, the modifications to keep the box cool is in llama search for box cooling mods and I'm sure you can find some mods. The most promising of the cooling mods is the tin foil on the heat sink, and the 12V fan mod.                                                                                                    By the way all of this was written by the blackberry storm, if their are any mistakes, then sorry.                I am not to be blamed or held guilty for any damage done to any box .

box means box

relaxxx

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2010, 08:06:00 PM »

Overheating and bolting are just temporary tricks that cause more long term damage. What they do is scrub or squeeze out enough oxidation from heat stress fracture cracks to make a temporary electrical connection while at the same time performing the trick or "fix" is causing even more cracks to form.

The only real fix is to properly reflow or replace the BGA solder balls (they melt at ~480F).

99% of E74 and most other errors are from the GPU. Follow the traces on the board, all these chips connect to the GPU. This is where the connection fails, you can bet your balls on it.

Why does the GPU fail:
-Too much heat due to crappy heatsink, fan and shroud design.
-Uneven heating due to hot EDRAM.
-Uneven pressure and flexing from metal case pushing on x-clamps.
Pages: 1 [2]