xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Fan On Gpu Heat Sink  (Read 113 times)

abadfish66

• Archived User
Fan On Gpu Heat Sink
« on: May 06, 2007, 11:05:00 PM »

Today I removed the x-clamps and performed the repair as described by LAWDAWG0931... I have had my box plugged in and running for about 12 hours, and everything looks great...Thanks. Now, the tall heatsink " is that the gpu heatsink?" I went ahead and put a fan on the backside, facing the 2 fans in the back to give the heat a push twards the cooling fans. Will this work, or am I looking for a failure down the road. I Plan on taking temp readings with and without the fan on the heatsink, has anyone else done this. I will post pics and temp readings within the next day...Thanks

MarutiDriver

• Archived User
Fan On Gpu Heat Sink
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 11:04:00 AM »

First of all, the tall heatsing is the CPU one, not the GPU's.

And second, I didn't understand your description of where you mounted the aditional fan, so pics would be nice. Anyway, any aditional cooling shouldn't hurt.

abadfish66

• Archived User
Fan On Gpu Heat Sink
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 11:33:00 AM »

Thanks for the clarification (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) ...I will post pics tonight.

abadfish66

• Archived User
Fan On Gpu Heat Sink
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 10:03:00 PM »

Here are a couple of pics, let me know what you think....... Thoughts....Ideas????

Here's the link to the pics...Thaanks for looking

http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa199/abadfish66/

This link should take you to the pics

FYI...That fan I used is off of the original xbox heatsink

This post has been edited by abadfish66: May 9 2007, 05:17 AM

pricemeista33

• Archived User
Fan On Gpu Heat Sink
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 05:55:00 PM »

I've done something similar to what you're asking.  I installed a 50mm fan on the direct opposite side of that CPU heat sink.  My reason for choosing the other side is simply because I want cool air pushed through the heat sink.  The stock fans will pull the air from that fan creating a flow tunnel of cooler air.  You are pulling heat off the heat sink a little faster but it still gets pretty hot I bet.

abadfish66

• Archived User
Fan On Gpu Heat Sink
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 12:49:00 AM »

Hard to tell if there actually is a temp change without taking readings, but did feel cooler than before, but that could be due to the arctic silver. I do like your method, and in theory should work better than  what I did, but being the refrigeration tech I am, I tend to lean twards the fact that pulling air through a coil is much more efficient in removing heat than pushing and pulling air through a coil, which in this case is a heatsink. I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong, that by putting the fan where you did, your causing a pool of cool air and hot air to mix and accumulate somewhere inside the air channel, more than likely on the front of the heatsink that is inside the air channel..  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

RDC

• Archived User
Fan On Gpu Heat Sink
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 02:12:00 AM »

If the X-clamp replacement worked then doing the Fan Shroud Mod, with no extra fan on the heatsink, would be the better option.

Ya have the small fan on backwards also, it's blowing air in the opposite direction of the stock fans, so it's doing no good there at all. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Can't tell from your pics, but having that fan, or anything else, powered from the same place your stock fans are powered from can fry a Transistor and make a fan stop working also.

Navillos

• Archived User
Fan On Gpu Heat Sink
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 11:57:00 AM »

i had a fan on the front of my cpu heatsink and it helped a little. after a month dust was building up on the fins and if unchecked would restrict flow eventually. so i took the fan off and mounted one on the metal shielding right behind the ring of lights. works like a dream now.