xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: 3 Rlod, Then 2 Lights (overheating)  (Read 57 times)

lamer01

• Archived User
3 Rlod, Then 2 Lights (overheating)
« on: April 29, 2007, 04:17:00 PM »

I got the 3 rolling lights of death. The code turned out to be 0102 which is the usual problem that everyone gets. I took everything apart and back together and then I got the 2 left lights on which means overheating. Unfortunately, I got those IMMEDIATELY after turning the console on. BTW, the fans also went full blast for a sec. So, now I am stuck with this. I went to the hardware store, got screws, washers, etc and did the trick of getting rid of the X-braces. Still get the 2 left lights on immediately after pushing on the power button even though the console is  cool. Any hope for this one?

lamer

SpiderX1016

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 04:21:00 PM »

Did you replace the thermal paste?

lamer01

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 04:46:00 PM »

QUOTE(SpiderX1016 @ Apr 29 2007, 11:21 PM) *

Did you replace the thermal paste?

Of course, I used AS 5. Also, with the nyct/eject btn trick, I get the code 0011 which is overheating. How can it over heat in < 5 secs?

This post has been edited by lamer01: Apr 29 2007, 11:47 PM

SnufftheCrimeDog

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 04:56:00 PM »

The problem you are having is that the CPU or GPU heatsink is not making good connection with the the GPU or CPU die, check to see that each side of the heatsink or leg if its the CPU sink, is firmly bolted down on to the washer(s). If you still getting it then try taking washers out until you get connection. If you still getting this tighten down the heatsink tight, dont be stupid about it be reasonable, but get em tight. That should fix it. If not I dont know what to tell you.

lamer01

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 05:06:00 PM »

QUOTE(SnufftheCrimeDog @ Apr 29 2007, 11:56 PM) *

The problem you are having is that the CPU or GPU heatsink is not making good connection with the the GPU or CPU die, check to see that each side of the heatsink or leg if its the CPU sink, is firmly bolted down on to the washer(s). If you still getting it then try taking washers out until you get connection. If you still getting this tighten down the heatsink tight, dont be stupid about it be reasonable, but get em tight. That should fix it. If not I dont know what to tell you.

You guys are probably correct I tightened the screws as much as physically possible and the 360 booted. It got through 3-4 seconds of the animated logo and THEN it gave me the 2 light salute. So, you think having 2 washers (fiber+metal) is too much? Take the metal one off?

Thanks

SnufftheCrimeDog

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 05:18:00 PM »

Hmm. Well, I can only draw one conclusion if two washer on each bolt are causing one or both chips not to touch the die....Your washer are to thick. In this case yes go down to one, that what I had to do with the 3rd one i fixed we got incorrect sized washer. So try that, and if that doesn't work, I'm kinda outta suggestions. Also really really look at the legs on the CPU sink make sure all of them are firmly clamped down on the washer, this happened to me were one, wasn't directly on the washer, tightened that up, was good to go.

This post has been edited by SnufftheCrimeDog: Apr 30 2007, 12:20 AM

lamer01

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 05:37:00 PM »

QUOTE(SnufftheCrimeDog @ Apr 30 2007, 12:18 AM) *

Hmm. Well, I can only draw one conclusion if two washer on each bolt are causing one or both chips not to touch the die....Your washer are to thick. In this case yes go down to one, that what I had to do with the 3rd one i fixed we got incorrect sized washer. So try that, and if that doesn't work, I'm kinda outta suggestions. Also really really look at the legs on the CPU sink make sure all of them are firmly clamped down on the washer, this happened to me were one, wasn't directly on the washer, tightened that up, was good to go.

Woo hoo! with 1 washer only, the system works. I let it sit for like 1 minute. The heatsinks got REALLY hot (no fan on) so I turned it off myself. Amazing, I don't think I did anything though, the system just worked. Why did I get the 3 rlod in the 1st place?

SnufftheCrimeDog

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2007, 05:59:00 PM »

QUOTE(lamer01 @ Apr 29 2007, 07:37 PM) *

Woo hoo! with 1 washer only, the system works. I let it sit for like 1 minute. The heatsinks got REALLY hot (no fan on) so I turned it off myself. Amazing, I don't think I did anything though, the system just worked. Why did I get the 3 rlod in the 1st place?

Good to hear, you did do something you warmed the solder and then clamped it down, while removing flexing in the board cause by the x-clamps, You got the 3 lights because of exactly what I just said you corrected flexing in the board cause solder point to be weakened and hence the graphical errors and the 3rols. Now the true test is not letting it sit, but playing a game for and hour or so, then letting it boot from cold and playing another game for and hour.