xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Reballing Tutorial Needed!  (Read 36 times)

Biablo

• Archived User
Reballing Tutorial Needed!
« on: April 29, 2007, 04:43:00 AM »

Hello

I am looking for a tutorial on how to Reaball the GPU, Any one know where i can look, i tried to google it and no luck finding any thing.

RDC

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 08:49:00 AM »

If you need a tutorial on how to reball a component, then you don't have the tools or skillz to do it, unless someone just gave you a setup that costs thousands and thousands of dollars for the fun of it and you plan to spend the time to learn to use it properly. That kind of info is all over the net as well, search around for BGA Rework.

Biablo

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 11:29:00 AM »

The reason i am looking for it, well i send the GPU to reballing wich i really reagreat. when they heat it in the oven locally it worked ok, but People told me that the problem will come back and the only way to make it good  is Reballing it. the Reaballing did not work wich i did not payed for it so at least that. in the X-ray it showed 5 surkets and i want to reballed it again. The GPU is not a normal GBA chip from what i have read around. so i was thinking if there is a good tutorial on how to Reball it?

RDC

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 11:42:00 AM »

The GPU uses solder balls to mount it to the board, it's the same technology as any other BGA chip. The difference is the number of balls and the way they are spaced on the chip, so you only need the proper template, aside from that there is no difference.

Reballing takes expensive equipment and pretty decent skill to be done properly. The template and the solder balls are about the only thing the "average" person would be able to get ahold of for the process. You need the correct setup and heat profile to remove the chip, then reball it, then solder it back onto the board. It's not an easy thing at all to do and as I said before, requires an expensive piece of equipment to do correctly. If you want to do it by hand with a heat gun go for it, but I wouldn't recommend that unless you plan on killing it for good anyway.

It may or may not have caused more damage form the 5 bad solder joints, so you could be trying to fix a 360 that can't be. Unless you have the tools and skill to do the work yourself or can have it done again at very little or no cost you're better off leaving it alone unless you are just interested in how the process is done, and that can be looked up online since the process is basically the same for the BGA type of chips.

Biablo

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 12:28:00 PM »

Is there a way to fix the 5 bad solder points without removing the chip again?

RDC

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 02:22:00 PM »

Nope, and all of this was asked and answered in your original thread as well.