xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 74

Author Topic: Tutorial : X-clamp Replacement - Lawdawg0931's Method  (Read 17556 times)

Dmetal420

• Archived User
Tutorial : X-clamp Replacement - Lawdawg0931's Method
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2007, 08:12:00 PM »

Well guys chalk me up as another success. I'm actually shocked it was that easy, im not the least bit mechanically inclined!  My 360 worked for 1.5 years with no problems then bricked last week. Followed this guide step by step and its running as good as new. Thank you Lawdawg for this guide!

lawdawg0931

• Archived User
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2007, 07:53:00 PM »

QUOTE(booker @ Apr 26 2007, 04:00 PM) View Post

just got the 3rl... error code 0102.

i´m doing the towel fix too see if i can overheat the system a bit longer.. maybe i´m still having some transistors with loose connection.

If you're experiencing freezing video, then most likely your problem is in the GPU. I would recommend taking a look at how tight it is, then take the GPU heatsink off & look at your imprint of the AS5. Make sure that it is tightening down enough to spread the AS5 completely across the GPU. I've also seen that people have put a fiber washer out on each corner of the GPU case (see RBJTech's drawing on page 4). This helps seat the GPU sometimes, but you have to ensure that the heatsink is still making good contact with the die.
You could also move the DVD drive off to the side, and use an external fan directed onto the GPU heatsink. See if this stops the freezing, then you'll know where your problem is.

booker

• Archived User
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2007, 09:25:00 PM »

QUOTE(lawdawg0931 @ Apr 27 2007, 03:00 AM) View Post

If you're experiencing freezing video, then most likely your problem is in the GPU. I would recommend taking a look at how tight it is, then take the GPU heatsink off & look at your imprint of the AS5. Make sure that it is tightening down enough to spread the AS5 completely across the GPU. I've also seen that people have put a fiber washer out on each corner of the GPU case (see RBJTech's drawing on page 4). This helps seat the GPU sometimes, but you have to ensure that the heatsink is still making good contact with the die.
You could also move the DVD drive off to the side, and use an external fan directed onto the GPU heatsink. See if this stops the freezing, then you'll know where your problem is.

well little update... it´s been a long day... i didn´t go to work, today because i have flu. So i spent the whole day with the 360.

This is the story. Yesterday after my 1st boot i got my system freeze at the intro.... no red lights, just freeze.

So i did the overheating, this time i did it corrrectly, took around 4 min to overheat and after that i left it until the psu went orange (4 min).

I guess those 4min wasn´t enough. But also.. i remember i didn´t tighten the screws, because again i was really scared of broken or damaging the cpu/gpu.

Anyways, after tighten the screws a bit, not much just a tad.. and doing the overheating.. i was able to pass the xbox intro, i left the xbox on the dash for around an 1hr and everything works fine.
I went to bed very happy..

Today i got up, i tried a game,to make a real test on the system,  i left a demo game for around 15 min.. but after 5 or 10 min into the game, the system froze... i couldn´t pass 10 min without freezing the system.

There was a problem...

i tried to ran the demo a few more times, and same results, the demo froze between 5 to 10 mins.. After my 3rd attempt i got the 3rl again.. (this was the first time after doing the x clamp replacement). Same code, 0102.

At this point i remember someone who said that he did the towel trick after doing the X clamp to help soldering those lose transistors, because the 2/4 min overhating technique wasn´t enough for his system. So i took 2 towels and did the same thing.. i left it for 20 min.. after that, i left the system cool down... and i re open the system and tighten the screws, but this time i did it really tight.. i even put some pressure on those bolts.

then i rebuilt the 360 again and tried.. so far so good.

i left the demo for around 30 min, no freezing (before i couldn´t play it for more than 10 min before).
then i turned the system off for 2 min, and turned back on, again , played the demo for 30 min.. no problem.

After this i turned the system off... and wait a few hs.. then i turned the system on and played virtua tennis3 demo por 20 min.. no freezing either. After this i played condemend for 30 min.. no freeze.

So i end up playing the system for 2hs total... and the system didn´t freeze, no red lights either.

Maybe is luck, but since i wasn´t able to past more than 10 min without freezing.. i guess i may did something right.

I don´t know if the problem was the system still got some loose soldering... or, if the bolts weren´t tight enough, or maybe both... but so far the system is working...

i´m wondering for how long....  huh.gif

btw i added 2 more coolers.. 1 on the sides throwing freesh air to the system and 1 on the back helping the stock fans to take the hot air outside the system. both at .12v

tomorro i´ll do some more testing but if i finnish the day without a problem, then i´ll be able to say my system is working again. smile.gif

DaniloMQ

• Archived User
« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2007, 03:44:00 PM »

I tried the clamp mod 3 times on a x360 that came to me for 0102 repair... and it would work fine but lock up after a few minutes of playing... so this mod fixed (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

For thos interested, just made 2 holes with my dremmel and a 2.5mm tip

screwed the fan and soldered on the 12v below power plug

(IMG:http://img7.photobucket.com/albums/v21/Pacote/x360/x360fix_19.jpg)

(IMG:http://img7.photobucket.com/albums/v21/Pacote/x360/x360fix_20.jpg)

Ps: its a 70x70mm Brushless Delta fan...

This post has been edited by DaniloMQ: Apr 27 2007, 10:47 PM

sirsmooth

• Archived User
« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2007, 04:35:00 PM »

A few questions..
Screwed the fan to what?
And what size fan, 60mm?
how did you keep it on a slant?

Cheers Smooth

This post has been edited by sirsmooth: Apr 27 2007, 11:35 PM

SnufftheCrimeDog

• Archived User
« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2007, 04:11:00 PM »

QUOTE(booker @ Apr 26 2007, 11:32 PM) View Post

well little update... it´s been a long day... i didn´t go to work, today because i have flu. So i spent the whole day with the 360.

This is the story. Yesterday after my 1st boot i got my system freeze at the intro.... no red lights, just freeze.
So i did the overheating, this time i did it corrrectly, took around 4 min to overheat and after that i left it until the psu went orange (4 min).

I guess those 4min wasn´t enough. But also.. i remember i didn´t tighten the screws, because again i was really scared of broken or damaging the cpu/gpu.

Anyways, after tighten the screws a bit, not much just a tad.. and doing the overheating.. i was able to pass the xbox intro, i left the xbox on the dash for around an 1hr and everything works fine.
I went to bed very happy..
Today i got up, i tried a game,to make a real test on the system,  i left a demo game for around 15 min.. but after 5 or 10 min into the game, the system froze... i couldn´t pass 10 min without freezing the system.

There was a problem...

i tried to ran the demo a few more times, and same results, the demo froze between 5 to 10 mins.. After my 3rd attempt i got the 3rl again.. (this was the first time after doing the x clamp replacement). Same code, 0102.

At this point i remember someone who said that he did the towel trick after doing the X clamp to help soldering those lose transistors, because the 2/4 min overhating technique wasn´t enough for his system. So i took 2 towels and did the same thing.. i left it for 20 min.. after that, i left the system cool down... and i re open the system and tighten the screws, but this time i did it really tight.. i even put some pressure on those bolts.

then i rebuilt the 360 again and tried.. so far so good.

i left the demo for around 30 min, no freezing (before i couldn´t play it for more than 10 min before).
then i turned the system off for 2 min, and turned back on, again , played the demo for 30 min.. no problem.

After this i turned the system off... and wait a few hs.. then i turned the system on and played virtua tennis3 demo por 20 min.. no freezing either. After this i played condemend for 30 min.. no freeze.

So i end up playing the system for 2hs total... and the system didn´t freeze, no red lights either.

Maybe is luck, but since i wasn´t able to past more than 10 min without freezing.. i guess i may did something right.

I don´t know if the problem was the system still got some loose soldering... or, if the bolts weren´t tight enough, or maybe both... but so far the system is working...

i´m wondering for how long....  huh.gif

btw i added 2 more coolers.. 1 on the sides throwing freesh air to the system and 1 on the back helping the stock fans to take the hot air outside the system. both at .12v

tomorro i´ll do some more testing but if i finnish the day without a problem, then i´ll be able to say my system is working again. smile.gif

Well I'm glad yours is working,  So I have now fixed 3 360s so far, and two outta of 3 have had the same problem one was using RBJTechs method and one was using Lawdawgs. I had a bear of a time getting the one I just fixed recently to work, because every time i would make it "snug" I would get graphical freezes, so I did exactly what you did, overheat and tighten them down tight, now not so tight that like the board was about to snap, but that the nuts would not move unless you forced them. This solved the problem, and my friend who performed Lawdawgs tut, started doing the same thing, he tightened them down again tight enough that the bolt would not move unless you really forced it too. I'm happy to say both are working fine now. So I thinking really giving those bolts a good tightening may fix this problem.

DaniloMQ

• Archived User
« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2007, 04:22:00 PM »

QUOTE(sirsmooth @ Apr 27 2007, 11:06 PM) View Post

A few questions..
Screwed the fan to what?
And what size fan, 60mm?
how did you keep it on a slant?

Cheers Smooth

Drilled 2 holes on the case, in the part where you put the wireless dongle

and drilled the plastic side of the fan

so with screws made to use on plastic i got the fan 100% tight throwing air below the dvd drive, right into the gpu smile.gif

lawdawg0931

• Archived User
« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2007, 04:42:00 PM »

QUOTE(DaniloMQ @ Apr 27 2007, 05:29 PM) View Post

Drilled 2 holes on the case, in the part where you put the wireless dongle

and drilled the plastic side of the fan

so with screws made to use on plastic i got the fan 100% tight throwing air below the dvd drive, right into the gpu smile.gif

Any chance you could show where you drilled? I'm still not sure where you are talking about. Thanks DaniloMQ

DaniloMQ

• Archived User
« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2007, 05:17:00 PM »

Call me pacote smile.gif

Tomorrow i will buy more fans , then i take some pics of the next mod i do and post here smile.gif

booker

• Archived User
« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2007, 05:44:00 PM »

QUOTE(DaniloMQ @ Apr 28 2007, 12:24 AM) View Post

Call me pacote smile.gif

Tomorrow i will buy more fans , then i take some pics of the next mod i do and post here smile.gif

Pacote, that would be really cool.

QUOTE(SnufftheCrimeDog @ Apr 27 2007, 11:18 PM) View Post

Well I'm glad yours is working,  So I have now fixed 3 360s so far, and two outta of 3 have had the same problem one was using RBJTechs method and one was using Lawdawgs. I had a bear of a time getting the one I just fixed recently to work, because every time i would make it "snug" I would get graphical freezes, so I did exactly what you did, overheat and tighten them down tight, now not so tight that like the board was about to snap, but that the nuts would not move unless you forced them. This solved the problem, and my friend who performed Lawdawgs tut, started doing the same thing, he tightened them down again tight enough that the bolt would not move unless you really forced it too. I'm happy to say both are working fine now. So I thinking really giving those bolts a good tightening may fix this problem.

yeah today i left a game play by himself for around 40 min... and it didn´t freeze. so it´s still working. Before i wasn´t able to play longer than 10 min without getting a freeze.

I think the overheating (with the towel) also helped. Maybe the 2min overhating the system wasn´t enough to sold those loose solderings.

Now i hope those solderings don´t get loose again, but this is the whole concept with this mod, i guess. to avoid those soldering getting loose.

We will see how it goes.. so far i´m not sure to say it´s fix it. But.. so far is stable and running.. i hope it stay that way.

about how tight the bolts should be....I believe the bolts have to be really really tight... this help to keep the die cool.

I remember the first time i turned my system on, it froze at the intro... and after that i got the 3rl, the bolts were very "loose" because i was afraid to overtight them and break the die or the mobo.. but then.. i tighten the bolts a bit more, not much just a bit more and then i was able to leave the 360 on the dash for 2hs.. without freezing, but every time i wanted to play a game it froze after 5 to 10 min.
So i tighten even more and also i did the Towel trick to make sure there was not soldering loose on the system, and now it´s working perfectly.

I don´t want to talk to much because i´m afraid to speak too soon  rolleyes.gif
Cross fingers.. so far so good.

brywalker

• Archived User
« Reply #70 on: April 27, 2007, 08:20:00 PM »

I suppose my fix would be closest to this one so I will post my results on the latest real quick.

Guitar Hero Update Death.

Locked up EVERY TIME. Just starting a song. Maybe get 1/2 through - hard lock. Reboot - won't even get to the dash.

Did the fix.

Played through a dozen songs with no problem.

The fix works. I don't agree with a few of the things in these two methods, but they all accomplish the same general goal.

This post has been edited by brywalker: Apr 28 2007, 03:21 AM

booker

• Archived User
« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2007, 07:49:00 PM »

QUOTE(brywalker @ Apr 28 2007, 02:51 AM) View Post

I suppose my fix would be closest to this one so I will post my results on the latest real quick.

Guitar Hero Update Death.

Locked up EVERY TIME. Just starting a song. Maybe get 1/2 through - hard lock. Reboot - won't even get to the dash.

Did the fix.

Played through a dozen songs with no problem.

The fix works. I don't agree with a few of the things in these two methods, but they all accomplish the same general goal.

so you were getting video freezing as well?... even at the 360 logo?

when you say fix.. what fix do you mean, the x clamp replacement?

DaniloMQ

• Archived User
« Reply #72 on: April 28, 2007, 04:08:00 PM »

The portuguese-brt tutorial is done, will try to write an english one and post here today (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

This post has been edited by DaniloMQ: Apr 28 2007, 11:10 PM

booker

• Archived User
« Reply #73 on: April 28, 2007, 03:49:00 PM »

QUOTE(DaniloMQ @ Apr 28 2007, 11:08 PM) View Post

The portuguese-brt tutorial is done, will try to write an english one and post here today smile.gif

pacote,
could you link me to the protugues forum ?

thanks

DaniloMQ

• Archived User
« Reply #74 on: April 28, 2007, 03:52:00 PM »

QUOTE(booker @ Apr 28 2007, 11:25 PM) View Post

pacote,
could you link me to the protugues forum ?

thanks

This is the official link of mine topic

http://forum.jogos.u...c.php?t=1174425

you can find the link to the PacoFREEZE (hell yeah, i named my mod lol) in the first post

but rest assured that i will post a english tutorial here
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 74