xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 74

Author Topic: Tutorial : X-clamp Replacement - Lawdawg0931's Method  (Read 17679 times)

booker

• Archived User
Tutorial : X-clamp Replacement - Lawdawg0931's Method
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2007, 04:16:00 PM »

1 question
the first time i power up the system without the fans. Do the heatsink have to be touching the cpu/gpu ? or it have to be loose but still touching the cpu/gpu ?

thanks.

booker

• Archived User
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2007, 06:35:00 PM »

hmm i need some advice...
I did this, and when i turn the system on.. i waited for 3 min but the system kept the 3 rl.. It didn´t overheat sad.gif
never changed to 2 red lights.. what could be wrong?

This is what i did exactly.

plug av cable, electri cable
turn the system on.. both heatsink were getting hot and more hot with time.
waited 3 mins.. but the 3 lights were still there.. it didn´t change to 2.. how long i should wait? i was scary that the cpu/gpu could get damage by waiting longer..

Btw i forgot to plug the dvd drive... if that info is helpful.

any ideas?

booker

• Archived User
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2007, 07:08:00 PM »

damn i can´t edit.. ok.. here is what i did.. i wait it until the system cool down compleltey. i connect the dvd drive
and did the same something.. started with a 3rl
then after a few min it got 2 ligths...BUT.. when i tried to turn off the system with the power button it dind´t allow me  uhh.gif

I had to cut the power off from the wall.

any idea if this is normal, when your system overheat, you can´t turn the system off from the power button? or what happen. I didn´t leave it more than 2 min after the 2 rl showed up.

anyways now i´m waiting until it gets cool down, and i´ll moount everything. I won`t tight those bolts more because the heatsinks were getting really really hot... so i guess they are fine the way they are.

lawdawg0931

• Archived User
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2007, 07:49:00 PM »

It should be fine after it cools...some people have had to overheat a little longer than 2 minutes, but check it first. My power button worked fine at all times, just a little harder to depress without the cover on. Hopefully it will come up when re-assembled.

jameswalter

• Archived User
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2007, 08:17:00 PM »

I couldn't get it to overheat either....so I used the towel method....for about 15 minutes, and after an hour of cooling, it booted right up, been working for 3 weeks now.

booker

• Archived User
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2007, 08:06:00 PM »

QUOTE(lawdawg0931 @ Apr 26 2007, 02:20 AM) View Post

It should be fine after it cools...some people have had to overheat a little longer than 2 minutes, but check it first. My power button worked fine at all times, just a little harder to depress without the cover on. Hopefully it will come up when re-assembled.

My experience.. so far sad.gif

After rebuilding the system, i boot, i didn´t got the 3rl but the system froze on the xbox360 intro. This was the same problem i had before.. and is still happening.

Usually when i turn on my system, after being off for a while (cool) it boot up.. but it freeze after a few min, sometimes right a way... and after that is when i get the 3rl with the 0102 code. Just want to let you know my system behavior before this Mod.. and well... after too.

I´m still getting freezing and 3rl. sad.gif

Right now i´m overheating the system a bit longer than 2 min... just to see if it make a difference.

I though maybe doing this could fix it, but it didn´t , at least so far  sad.gif

any ideas what else i could try?

also while i was waiting until the system overheat i notice that after 3 or 4 min after getting the 2rl overheating warning the powersupply went to Orange. So how people could overheat this thing for more than 4 min if the system itself is powering off automatically? the Heatsink were still HOT, but if the PW were Orange this means the PSU was at stand by, this lead me to think that the PSU wasn´t giving any power to the Xbox360 so the 360 weren´t getting any hotter.

So my question is.. 4 min is the longer you can overheat a system?

Any ideas? what could be or what i could try? could my system need more overheating? (sounds crazy saying this lol)

thanks

blue_calx

• Archived User
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2007, 09:59:00 PM »

count me as a success.  got all the parts at Ace Hardware (home depot sucks)

Played 3 hours tonight...everything is fine now.  Only had to overheat it for like a minute too.

Thanks lawdawg!

waxx9299

• Archived User
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2007, 10:00:00 PM »

i think both lawdawg's and rbj's method is promising..

ive been trying to figure out the best fix... so far the longest i did was 4 months before it re 3RLed.. (but not on their method)

the board flexing theory is the most logical theory, and although here in my side of the planet, we dont have a lowes or a home depot. i get my parts from a local hardware store..so the best way to get the proper parts for me is either have a friend in the USA send me samples of flat and nylon washers.. the bolts i have no problem... actually i can post pictures of the type of bolts im using and they fit just right with the thread of the cpu and the gpu...

now my only problem is computing the actual height of the mobo and the cpu/gpu die where the heatsink make contact... anybody of you have an idea?

(IMG:http://farm1.static.flickr.com/225/473151525_338a418aea_o.gif)

and here's a photo of the bolts and spring washer that i have.. i get them cheap..very cheap

(IMG:http://farm1.static.flickr.com/220/473151529_7972416e52.jpg)

This post has been edited by waxx9299: Apr 26 2007, 05:06 AM

jameswalter

• Archived User
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2007, 10:35:00 PM »

QUOTE(waxx9299 @ Apr 25 2007, 08:31 PM) View Post

now my only problem is computing the actual height of the mobo and the cpu/gpu die where the heatsink make contact... anybody of you have an idea?

I used a #10 nylon washer, and M5 washer, these pretty much gave me the right height between the HS and the motherboard.  I just tightened down all 4 corners 1/4 turn at a time till they got tight.

booker

• Archived User
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2007, 02:10:00 PM »

mine is a no no...

it boots ok.. then when i try to play games after several min it freeze.
so far i didn't get the 3 rls after rebooting, but it kept freezing after 5 or 10 min into the game.

Last night i left the console on the dash for around a 1hr and it worked fine. But when playing games it freeze after 5 or 10 min.

Could be that my Heatsinks are not that thight?
i´m really afraid of breaking the cores so i didn´t tight them too much... i did a very smal force on the screw driver and if i felt i had to do a little more preassure i stoped and went to the next one.

Should i try tightening the bolts ?

This post has been edited by booker: Apr 26 2007, 09:21 PM

blue_calx

• Archived User
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2007, 02:35:00 PM »

QUOTE(booker @ Apr 26 2007, 03:41 PM) *

mine is a no no...

it boots ok.. then when i try to play games after several min it freeze.
so far i didn't get the 3 rls after rebooting, but it kept freezing after 5 or 10 min into the game.

Last night i left the console on the dash for around a 1hr and it worked fine. But when playing games it freeze after 5 or 10 min.

Could be that my Heatsinks are not that thight?
i´m really afraid of breaking the cores so i didn´t tight them too much... i did a very smal force on the screw driver and if i felt i had to do a little more preassure i stoped and went to the next one.

Should i try tightening the bolts ?

That what was happening to my xbox360 just before it gave me the 3rlod.

It would be fine playing movies, music, or just in the dash. Even in the title menus of games it was fine.  But the moment loaded a level it would hard lock.  It was only time till i got the 3rlod.  

The fix worked for me and i didn't have to overheat it for long (about two minutes).

Maybe you still have a bad solder connection.  Maybe get a heat gun and try resoldering that way.  Though you did mention that you knocked parts off the motherboard; so it might be gone for good (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Good luck though.

booker

• Archived User
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2007, 02:12:00 PM »

QUOTE(blue_calx @ Apr 26 2007, 09:06 PM) View Post

That what was happening to my xbox360 just before it gave me the 3rlod.

It would be fine playing movies, music, or just in the dash. Even in the title menus of games it was fine.  But the moment loaded a level it would hard lock.  It was only time till i got the 3rlod.  

The fix worked for me and i didn't have to overheat it for long (about two minutes).

Maybe you still have a bad solder connection.  Maybe get a heat gun and try resoldering that way.  Though you did mention that you knocked parts off the motherboard; so it might be gone for good sad.gif

Good luck though.

i have 3 capacitors out from the motherboard... but i read those are not critical, besides i was able to play for 20 days without those capacitors. (these capacitors were already gone after i sent my 360 for repairs).

I really don´t think those are the problem.

and i never had 3rl everytime i turn the system on. I had the 3rl after freezing, now i´m not getting the 3l after freezing just freezing... so maybe i´m 1 step forward than i used to be.. lol

booker

• Archived User
« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2007, 03:29:00 PM »

just got the 3rl... error code 0102.

i´m doing the towel fix too see if i can overheat the system a bit longer.. maybe i´m still having some transistors with loose connection.

darthjuky

• Archived User
« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2007, 07:24:00 PM »

My box today has the three lights of death. I tried to repeat the process.  No luck.  Still three lights of death.

Not sure what to try at this point.  Any suggestions?

booker

• Archived User
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2007, 06:49:00 PM »

QUOTE(darthjuky @ Apr 27 2007, 01:55 AM) View Post

My box today has the three lights of death. I tried to repeat the process.  No luck.  Still three lights of death.

Not sure what to try at this point.  Any suggestions?

what error code are you getting?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 74