xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 74

Author Topic: Tutorial : X-clamp Replacement - Lawdawg0931's Method  (Read 17431 times)

lawdawg0931

• Archived User
Tutorial : X-clamp Replacement - Lawdawg0931's Method
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2007, 07:32:00 AM »

@polarz

This is from Team Xbox:
For the first time, we get full details on the transistor count and other technical data regarding the Xbox 360 CPU. The paper reveals that the Xbox 360 has a single chip with 165 million transistors for its CPU that is a three-way symmetric multiprocessor design

Not sure if the one you dinged off was by the CPU or GPU, but with 165 million (many internal) seems like you could lose 1 or 2, but you gotta know each one does a needed job. It's never a good thing to knock a part off. Try finding a schematic for the board itself, listing parts. If possible, resolder the peice that fell off back in place.

As far as the flakey results, have you changed the number of washers immediately above the motherboard. It's critical that the heatsinks are sitting on the chips themselves & not on the washers.

This post has been edited by lawdawg0931: Apr 24 2007, 02:34 PM

booker

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2007, 09:07:00 AM »

lawdawg0931,

Yesterday i started to disamble the 360 and i notice 4 "transistors" on the back of the motherboard. 3 ON the cpu area and 1 on the GPU area. 3 of them were broken and 1 was missing.

I´m wondering what i should do, from the answers i got on other thread people say those are not critical to make the 360 work, but now with your answer i´m a bit confuse.
Bascially what i should do? should i continue with the X clamp Mod? or i should stop ?
I don´t have any experience soliding so i´m really afraid of solding those transistors.

Anyways, thanks for your advice.

booker

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2007, 09:40:00 AM »

DP.

This post has been edited by booker: Apr 24 2007, 04:41 PM

JakeDunn

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2007, 09:58:00 AM »

I thought RDC already answered your question? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sleep.gif)

Btw Lawdawg, uhh would putting thermal pads to the ram chips help? I always thought you put thermal pads then something to disippate the heat. Any thoughts? I dont want to resort to that eraser mod (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

booker

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2007, 09:27:00 AM »

QUOTE(JakeDunn @ Apr 24 2007, 04:29 PM) View Post

I thought RDC already answered your question? sleep.gif

Btw Lawdawg, uhh would putting thermal pads to the ram chips help? I always thought you put thermal pads then something to disippate the heat. Any thoughts? I dont want to resort to that eraser mod tongue.gif

yeap.. i´m so freak out i follow this on 2 threads. Sorry.

JakeDunn

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2007, 09:50:00 AM »

Just wondering man, i'd be nervous too lol, so I understand how you feel smile.gif

DaniloMQ

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2007, 01:18:00 PM »

Finally my fiber washers arrived

(IMG:http://img7.photobucket.com/albums/v21/Pacote/x360/x360fix_16.jpg)

It feels tigher to screw

jameswalter

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2007, 01:05:00 PM »

QUOTE(JakeDunn @ Apr 24 2007, 08:29 AM) View Post

I thought RDC already answered your question? sleep.gif

Btw Lawdawg, uhh would putting thermal pads to the ram chips help? I always thought you put thermal pads then something to disippate the heat. Any thoughts? I dont want to resort to that eraser mod tongue.gif

6 of the 8 RAM chips are able to have thermal pads put on them.  4 are on the back of the motherboard, and will dissipate heat to the shielding, the other 2 are under the GPU heatsink, and dissipate heat to that.  The 2 chips exposed, should have some sort of heatsink installed (I think mine are 14mm high to avoid hitting the DVD-ROM).

lawdawg0931

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2007, 03:43:00 PM »

QUOTE(jameswalter @ Apr 24 2007, 02:12 PM) View Post

6 of the 8 RAM chips are able to have thermal pads put on them.  4 are on the back of the motherboard, and will dissipate heat to the shielding, the other 2 are under the GPU heatsink, and dissipate heat to that.  The 2 chips exposed, should have some sort of heatsink installed (I think mine are 14mm high to avoid hitting the DVD-ROM).

@Jakedunn
Jameswalter answered perfect, that's exactly what I did.

@booker
I'm by no means an expert on these small transistors. If you're seeing informative posts in other threads regarding these transistors - they probably know more about them than I. On the other hand, if you feel you have nothing to lose in doing the X clamp replacement....go for it! If it's not going to work because of the missing transistors, doing the X clamp replacement won't make a difference anyway! wink.gif

booker

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2007, 06:11:00 PM »

Again me.. i need some advice.

Today i bought all the stuff i need. But i make a HUGE mistake. I bought a flat washers too wide. So the GPU heatsink flat washer touch with the CPU heatsink Flat washer.  This will surely end up screwing the "contact between the heatsink and the chip.

Tomorrow i´ll try to get thinners flat washers. On the other hand the Nylon were perfect.

Now the advice..

for those who did this.. how did you do it?.. in paper is very easy, but in practice is a pain. Do you have the motherboard flip over? side or up?

My biggsest problem so far was put the bolts on the heatsink while keeping the flatwashers in place... and also being very careful with the motherboard.

Anyways if someone could tell me how did you do it and what do you feel is the most easy way to do this. i´ll be pleased.

thanks

PS, one last request. Could someone post some screenshots from this mod fix? i saw from RJtech but i didn´t saw with this technique.

This post has been edited by booker: Apr 25 2007, 01:13 AM

nettwerk

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2007, 06:47:00 PM »

QUOTE(booker @ Apr 24 2007, 11:42 PM) *

My biggsest problem so far was put the bolts on the heatsink while keeping the flatwashers in place... and also being very careful with the motherboard.

When I tired this method, I put the bolts through the mobo upside down then stuck a peice of tape (I used electrical tape) to hold them while I balance the washers on the other side and then try and carefully screw everything into the heatsinks. It was hard but not too bad.

This post has been edited by nettwerk: Apr 25 2007, 01:47 AM

dvsone

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2007, 11:17:00 PM »

I put a book underneath the bottom of the motherboard when I turned the motherboard over to face up. I then added the washers and placed the heatsink on top. I then moved the book (with the motherboard on top) to the edge of a table and then slid the motherboard off the book so only 1 screw wasn't being supported by the book. This way I could focus on holding and screwing in one screw at a time. Once that screw was done I could move the motherboard in a different position to reveal another screw and so on.

If someone else has a better method, please let us know.

This post has been edited by dvsone: Apr 25 2007, 06:30 AM

RBJTech

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2007, 04:58:00 AM »

QUOTE(jameswalter @ Apr 24 2007, 08:12 PM) View Post

... the other 2 are under the GPU heatsink, and dissipate heat to that...

they don't unless you put a gap filler on them to fill the ~1mm gap .. they just sit under the GPU heatsink and cook... sad.gif

QUOTE(lawdawg0931 @ Apr 24 2007, 10:50 PM) View Post

@booker
I'm by no means an expert on these small transistors. If you're seeing informative posts in other threads regarding these transistors - they probably know more about them than I. On the other hand, if you feel you have nothing to lose in doing the X clamp replacement....go for it! If it's not going to work because of the missing transistors, doing the X clamp replacement won't make a difference anyway! wink.gif

FYI - they are not transistors - they are capacitors.  They are used to decouple / supress noise of the data lines thats all.  A capacitor does not have a direct 'electrical' connection (as such) so not having them (in this instance) just means the line may have a bit of noise.  If they were transistors (3 legs) or resistors (2 legs) then the xbox would likely not work at all as these have direct connections controlling or activating some other circuitry.

booker

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2007, 06:33:00 AM »

QUOTE(RBJTech @ Apr 25 2007, 12:05 PM) View Post

they don't unless you put a gap filler on them to fill the ~1mm gap .. they just sit under the GPU heatsink and cook... sad.gif
FYI - they are not transistors - they are capacitors.  They are used to decouple / supress noise of the data lines thats all.  A capacitor does not have a direct 'electrical' connection (as such) so not having them (in this instance) just means the line may have a bit of noise.  If they were transistors (3 legs) or resistors (2 legs) then the xbox would likely not work at all as these have direct connections controlling or activating some other circuitry.

RB,
thanks,
and thanks god that those are not transistors then, because i have a 2 o 3 broken.

Cheers,

lawdawg0931

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2007, 09:11:00 AM »

QUOTE(RBJTech @ Apr 25 2007, 06:05 AM) View Post
FYI - they are not transistors - they are capacitors.  They are used to decouple / supress noise of the data lines thats all.

Wow - was I way off  blink.gif , Thanks for the info. Actually I should know that, I had to replace a very small transistor when I changed cases on a 1.6 xbox 1
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 74