xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 74

Author Topic: Tutorial : X-clamp Replacement - Lawdawg0931's Method  (Read 17656 times)

fake_punk

• Archived User
Tutorial : X-clamp Replacement - Lawdawg0931's Method
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2007, 02:52:00 PM »

Now, where can I find these parts in Canada?  I went to home depot, and they didn't have any.  In fact, al they had was imperial sizes.

booker

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2007, 04:58:00 PM »

QUOTE(lawdawg0931 @ Apr 22 2007, 09:12 PM) View Post

@booker

The bolts are 10mm in length, and the washers are the same as RBJTech's measurements..(.71mm)
The mothod is the same for both heatsinks, the bolts go through the mobo (with washers listed), then screw right into the heatsinks (their native thread). No need to drill out the heatsinks. That way it's reversible wink.gif

Great.. i may try this method then... i think the benefit of making reversible is HUGE,specially with me that didn´t mod a 360 before. I did PC though.

One last question.. how do you know how hard to "tight" the bolts to the motherboard? do you have any rule or you just tight until you see you can´t do it any more without forcing?

darthjuky

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2007, 08:32:00 PM »

Lawdogg, Thank you.  It is still working folks.  This repair worked.  I don't know how you came across this exactly but it works.  

Still up and running. Machine seems to run faster that ever.  Its not overheating.

Good job Lawdogg.

booker

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2007, 08:31:00 PM »

QUOTE(darthjuky @ Apr 23 2007, 03:03 AM) View Post

Lawdogg, Thank you.  It is still working folks.  This repair worked.  I don't know how you came across this exactly but it works.  

Still up and running. Machine seems to run faster that ever.  Its not overheating.

Good job Lawdogg.

Does anyone knows how long this fix should last?... for example, there are someone who was able to have this fix for..1 or 2 month for example?

makaveli86

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2007, 11:07:00 PM »

fake punk, home depot shoudl still have them. However you might not get flat machine screws, might have to settle with the bigger heads. If not, check canadian tire, thats where i got mine, they had nylon washers too.

i'm also interested in how long this method lasts? curious if someone who replaced the clamps, ended up getting this error few days (or weeks?) later?

lawdawg0931

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2007, 07:56:00 AM »

QUOTE(booker @ Apr 22 2007, 09:38 PM) View Post

Does anyone knows how long this fix should last?... for example, there are someone who was able to have this fix for..1 or 2 month for example?

For most of the people posting back, this has worked since the tutorial has been out (about a month now). Still kinda early to say permanent, but VERY promising... cool.gif

JakeDunn

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2007, 08:37:00 AM »

QUOTE(lawdawg0931 @ Apr 22 2007, 07:33 AM) *

Not with my method, but you might want to do some of RBJTech's cooling mods - like cut out the back grill around the fans (better airflow).

Sounds good, though wouldnt that consume more dust since its exposed? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ph34r.gif)

Also, would any of these help if I put them in the ram chips on the underside of the mobo? though from the pictures, it looks like they're too tall to install (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sleep.gif)

This post has been edited by JakeDunn: Apr 23 2007, 03:37 PM

grim_d

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2007, 08:15:00 AM »

QUOTE(JakeDunn @ Apr 23 2007, 03:08 PM) View Post

Sounds good, though wouldnt that consume more dust since its exposed? ph34r.gif

Also, would any of these help if I put them in the ram chips on the underside of the mobo? though from the pictures, it looks like they're too tall to install sleep.gif

the fans blow out, doing those mods would only increase the fans ability to get air out of the console, thus providing better cooling.

JakeDunn

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2007, 08:39:00 AM »

Ah, alright smile.gif

So, what do you think of the ram heatsinks? yay or nay? or should I put anything at all to those ram chips to help them cool uhh.gif

booker

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2007, 09:31:00 AM »

Yeah i would like some advice from you guys. I got the 0102 error code last night, and i´m in the fence between this mod fix or the robber mod.

This looks really promising but also i  A LOT more harder than the robber mod.

What i should do? do first the easy one (robber mode) and if don´t work, do the Clamp replacment.
Or go directly to the X clamp ?

Thanks

lawdawg0931

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2007, 10:49:00 AM »

@Jakedunn
Those ram heatsinks are 8mm in height...too tall for the 4 under the board, & the 2 under the GPU heatsink. The southbridge & 2 in front of the heatsink could probably use them (might need to cut one in 1/2 for the ram chips - use a dremmel to cut it in 1/2)
@booker
I'm assuming you mean the "rubber" mod...as in erasures. That's up to you, but I feel the X clamps definitely need to be removed at some point (one way or another).

booker

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2007, 12:46:00 PM »

QUOTE(lawdawg0931 @ Apr 23 2007, 05:20 PM) View Post

@Jakedunn
Those ram heatsinks are 8mm in height...too tall for the 4 under the board, & the 2 under the GPU heatsink. The southbridge & 2 in front of the heatsink could probably use them (might need to cut one in 1/2 for the ram chips - use a dremmel to cut it in 1/2)
@booker
I'm assuming you mean the "rubber" mod...as in erasures. That's up to you, but I feel the X clamps definitely need to be removed at some point (one way or another).

Ok, i will start with the X clamps... now the quesiton is.. do i also make the rubber mod ? or only if the system fails?

I´m not sure if my system have the thermal pads from Ms on the systems, i thinkn they started adding those after my 360 was released.

blue_calx

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2007, 03:17:00 PM »

this is great.  my x360 just crapped out with 3rlod

Waiting on some arctic silver to come in the mail before i do this mod.  I can only find the nylon washers at home depot though (no lowes even close to me)  has anyone found the part #s at home depot?   They use Crown Bolt as their screws dist. i think.

Are the metal flat washers #10 just like the nylon washers too?

Thanks lawdawg!

Also, has anyone tried Ace Hardware?

polarz

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2007, 09:00:00 PM »

I'm getting flakey results. The mod will work for 2-3 days perfectly then boom 3 rings are back. The 3 rings always seem to come back after an extended shut down time, ~18 hours. I play w/ the tightness of the screws/bolts or repeat step 7 and am good for another couple days. I have repeated step 7 ~3 times all w/ eventual temporary success.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I'm almost to the point of leaving the bottom portion of the case open so I can access the internal parts easier.....

On another note I dinged off one of the items in the pic below when I was tightening a bolt and slipped. It was on the back side of the motherboard, but I couldn't find a decent pic. My xbox behavior has not changed since this happened. I still continue to get the same flakey results, but I was wondering what this part was and if I should repair it. It obviously serves a purpose, but if it's non-critical I'll leave it be. It appears to be non-critical as I've logged ~20 hours with no problems with this part missing.

Thanks,
polarz

IPB Image

booker

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2007, 10:11:00 PM »

QUOTE(polarz @ Apr 24 2007, 04:07 AM) View Post

I'm getting flakey results. The mod will work for 2-3 days perfectly then boom 3 rings are back. The 3 rings always seem to come back after an extended shut down time, ~18 hours. I play w/ the tightness of the screws/bolts or repeat step 7 and am good for another couple days. I have repeated step 7 ~3 times all w/ eventual temporary success.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I'm almost to the point of leaving the bottom portion of the case open so I can access the internal parts easier.....

On another note I dinged off one of the items in the pic below when I was tightening a bolt and slipped. It was on the back side of the motherboard, but I couldn't find a decent pic. My xbox behavior has not changed since this happened. I still continue to get the same flakey results, but I was wondering what this part was and if I should repair it. It obviously serves a purpose, but if it's non-critical I'll leave it be. It appears to be non-critical as I've logged ~20 hours with no problems with this part missing.

Thanks,
polarz

IPB Image

Well actually i open a thread bout it.. because i saw my motherboard have some missing/borken transistors on the back of the motherboard.. 2 or 3 to be exact. I´m wondering how critical are those and if i should "solder" them or leave it the way it is. I´m curious about others motherboard status reagarding this transistors.

Quite hard to believe i´m the only one with "broken/loose" transistors... many people got the 0102 code.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 74