xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74

Author Topic: Tutorial : X-clamp Replacement - Lawdawg0931's Method  (Read 17564 times)

relaxxx

• Archived User
Tutorial : X-clamp Replacement - Lawdawg0931's Method
« Reply #1080 on: January 11, 2010, 05:43:00 AM »

Anyone watch the video and notice the fans ramp up fast a second or two before the end?

I bet that elite is dead right now!

So many tutorials on how to cause permanent damage to your console!

huverdaz

• Archived User
« Reply #1081 on: February 12, 2010, 09:02:00 PM »

First off I would like to thank Lawdawg for all the work he did on this guide, it was very informal and got me almost all the way through my 3RROD problem.

I am trying to cook my 360 after I have already reapplied thermal paste and remounted my heat sinks. My problem is that my 360 gets the 2 red lights right away, but it will not overheat. I ran it with the 2 red lights for about 10 minutes and my heat sinks did not change temperature. Does anyone know why this might be?

The only thing I can think of is, when I was putting the power button board back on I may have scratched it a bit. I thought that the board was supposed to go under those two little medal lips, not over top of them. I see scratches on the two front corners, but only on areas with squares.

Any help or explanations you can give me would be much appreciated. I can't believe I got this far then started putting it back together wrong.

geezer1955

• Archived User
« Reply #1082 on: February 13, 2010, 10:28:00 PM »

First, 3RROD mods that are listed on this thread worked like a champ.  Nice job laying everything out.  

Minor detail that seemed to work better for me: instead of using alcohol to remove thermal paste, I tried GOJO type hand cleaner with Q-tip.  This seemed to dissolve the old paste much better.  I ended up with a beautiful mirror finish on heat sink contact patch.

I got a nice "Sweet!  Thanks, Dad!"  All is right with the world again.  smile.gif

Xpoc26

• Archived User
« Reply #1083 on: February 14, 2010, 05:10:00 AM »

QUOTE(huverdaz @ Feb 12 2010, 08:02 PM) View Post

First off I would like to thank Lawdawg for all the work he did on this guide, it was very informal and got me almost all the way through my 3RROD problem.

I am trying to cook my 360 after I have already reapplied thermal paste and remounted my heat sinks. My problem is that my 360 gets the 2 red lights right away, but it will not overheat. I ran it with the 2 red lights for about 10 minutes and my heat sinks did not change temperature. Does anyone know why this might be?

The only thing I can think of is, when I was putting the power button board back on I may have scratched it a bit. I thought that the board was supposed to go under those two little medal lips, not over top of them. I see scratches on the two front corners, but only on areas with squares.

Any help or explanations you can give me would be much appreciated. I can't believe I got this far then started putting it back together wrong.

I'm having the same problem right now. Instant 2 red lights which shuts the console down and won't allow for the sinks to heat up at all. I didn't scratch anything either, so I don't think that's the issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

muddy

• Archived User
« Reply #1084 on: March 04, 2010, 05:15:00 PM »

Followed the video tutorial and it worked perfect!  The only thing was that my console didn't display the ROD after i plugged it in to "bake" the chips.  It booted up normally and then it froze, the heat sinks were getting very hot almost too hot to touch, I just let it sit for about 4 minutes and then tightened the screws, replaced the fans and dvd drive and tested again, it then worked great! Played halo 3 for about 10 min or so to test and then re-assembled the whole xbox.  Played again for about 30 min, so far so good.  Thanks so much for the help!

biggrin.gif

Edit: I forgot to mention that I added the little square pieces of credit card with super glue on top of the CPU/GPU. Great idea!

SlickWilly440

• Archived User
« Reply #1085 on: March 16, 2010, 05:42:00 PM »

QUOTE(einchin @ Mar 16 2010, 05:52 PM) View Post

hi guys, i m new in this forum.

Just have some query about the screws to fix the heatsink ... i got those screw like what they recommend in the 2nd post from Bunning, but i found it is a bit long, do you cut the screw to a suitable length, or is there any other exact size screw i can use to re-attach the heatsink to the mainboard?

They are probably not long enough for the need to have them cut b/c there is plenty of space for the screws to go above both the heatsinks.  In other works, there isn't anything blocking the screws from sticking out of the CPU Heatsink bracket, and a good amount of leeway for the GPU Heatsink as well.

desitdt

• Archived User
« Reply #1086 on: March 16, 2010, 06:20:00 PM »

i recently performed this fix on two xbox and it worked both times, on the third not so much. When it turns on it waits, almost "pulses" the fan 3 times, then displays rrod. Ive tryed taking it back apart and performing it again. adding more/less arctic silver, tighter/looser screws. Can anyone give me some help?

einchin

• Archived User
« Reply #1087 on: March 16, 2010, 06:38:00 PM »

QUOTE(SlickWilly440 @ Mar 17 2010, 12:42 AM) View Post

They are probably not long enough for the need to have them cut b/c there is plenty of space for the screws to go above both the heatsinks.  In other works, there isn't anything blocking the screws from sticking out of the CPU Heatsink bracket, and a good amount of leeway for the GPU Heatsink as well.

there is a limit to drill the thing thru to the top, mine heatsink is the square type of thing without those copperlike x clamp on it... will take a photo and post here later

einchin

• Archived User
« Reply #1088 on: March 16, 2010, 10:35:00 PM »

http://blog.mlive.co...con_landed.html

mine heatsink looks like this website picture here

SlickWilly440

• Archived User
« Reply #1089 on: March 16, 2010, 11:49:00 PM »

Oh, I see.  Sorry, I'm only familiar with my Xenon Board.

Then I guess you can go looking for shorter screws, or shorten your current screws.  Have you actually, tested out the screws and found out they were too long, or does it just look that way with some uncertainty?

einchin

• Archived User
« Reply #1090 on: March 17, 2010, 08:11:00 AM »

hey i found the screw in the right size ... but now i have a problem , i put thermal paste lock them in , but how come the two redlights coming up ( last time was 3 ) , and the fan blowing heavily than last time ... and it shut down by itself afterwards , just after 3 seconds the xbox screen pop up .

Is it becos i never attach the heatsink properly ? or is it i never use any washer anything like that ?

PPG

• Archived User
« Reply #1091 on: March 28, 2010, 04:20:00 AM »

I have applied the fixing method sort of screws differ a bit so only used washers on board not under.The xbox worked immediately did not get 2 red may be did not left it on long enough.

The problem is when I fix the long screws the 3 red lights return. So I removed the 2 in middle. This way I get the green lights I have played for almost 2 hours with out any problems.

Do you think the fact that i only used the four corner screws is a problem ?

Do any one have an idea why the relights return with in seconds if I screw in the 2 middle screws

Thanks for the fix Lawdawg0931 Hope is more permanent than temporary. I struggled more to remove the cover than with the rest.

360ballin

• Archived User
« Reply #1092 on: May 04, 2010, 02:25:00 PM »

no text tut?

jblitz360

• Archived User
« Reply #1093 on: July 11, 2010, 12:01:00 AM »

Ok I posted my first post by mistake in rbs tutorial. So I am obviously new. I studied these videos over and over again watched and read about 10 other methods and really wanted to fully understand the reason this happens. I have a box that was made april 2006. It has lasted with extensive play till about a month ago. so 4 years + I considered myself extremely lucky all these years feeling somewhat "untouchable"I will warn in advance I'm a lil excited so prepare for a long winded explanation.So I went to Lowe's Home Depot and Ace for a combination of parts today after 4 days of research. The lowes part numbers are a lil different and the metric selection is very poor. they didn't have enough nylon washers to do the job but I got. Pan head machine screws m5-.80x10. They didn't have the hex style with screw slots and neither did the other two stores.
hillman 5mm flat washers and finally at my last stop 5mm nylon washers . Home Depot sucks for all of this for the record. So I followed lawdawg to the tee watching the video all the way thru twice before attempting then while I did mod pausing along the way if needed. I did put a nylon washer under board which wasnt in vid but I wanted to protect mobo. Cooked for 2 min let cool and 3rrod rite away.... Aghhhh

So I decided maybe do towel trick and that mod was succesful but that system needed to totally reset. But after 2 attempts no luck 3rrod right away. So now I'm contemplating takin out nylon under or addin penny trick to lawdawg.
Side note not so excited now. I was playing for a few min came down to type my success paused game just stopped typin to go check and rrod. Anyway so I added a steel washer under so 1 st 1 nyl mobo 1 nylo1 st and it booted right to green i was gonna cook but it started right up.
But now it 3rrod. I turn it off astart it up no red 5 min go by red?????????

My next step is heat gun.
I was so ready to brag and now I'm truly bummed I wish it wouldn't have worked at all i feel robbed. Any help is much appreciated

WorldFormula

• Archived User
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74