xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74

Author Topic: Tutorial : X-clamp Replacement - Lawdawg0931's Method  (Read 17699 times)

TheTerminator

• Archived User
Tutorial : X-clamp Replacement - Lawdawg0931's Method
« Reply #1065 on: September 19, 2009, 11:49:00 AM »

QUOTE(RMF @ Sep 15 2009, 08:31 AM) *

Nevermind,

I've fixed it. I had fitted the heatsink sideways like a dumbass, so the hot air wasnt being sucked through the shroud properly.

One thing that I've noticed though is that this 360's power button blinks continually. It may be worth noting that there's no DVD drive installed as I harvested it long ago to fit into another xbox. Is that why? Or is something else up?

TIA

It's normal, there's no DVD drive installed so the green light blinks because it thinks its ejected.

Billybob-xbox

• Archived User
« Reply #1066 on: September 23, 2009, 12:55:00 AM »

Hey all, thanks for the tut.

I have completed the repair and still getting the RROD. attempted the fix 3 times. The chips still look in good shape as well as the heatsinks.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
BB
 sad.gif

neogalahad

• Archived User
« Reply #1067 on: October 06, 2009, 06:31:00 PM »

This tutorial is awesome. Thanks. I used it for a buddies Xbox and am going to do it for my brother in law for his birthday. Does anyone know anything about drives that dont open when vertical?

MadMaxGR

• Archived User
« Reply #1068 on: October 07, 2009, 06:43:00 AM »

It is the rubber tray band that is responsible opening the tray. Replace it and it will be fine.

Dandaman0808

• Archived User
« Reply #1069 on: October 07, 2009, 03:52:00 PM »

Hi, I'm from the Uk and can't get the parts specified, can anyone tell me of parts I can get here in the UK that will also work. Also for the washers do I need metal and nylon or just 1 type? Also how many?

Thanks

lawdawg0931

• Archived User
« Reply #1070 on: October 11, 2009, 07:02:00 PM »

Well I'm 2 for 2 today on this fix... cool.gif ! My Xbox 360 died about 1 year after I removed the X-clamps, and a buddies 360 needed the fix as well. Being that mine lasted somewhere close to a year, I'm pretty happy with that..... I mean, from all the people on this thread---it seems (for the most part) to be a temporary fix that needs re-doing every so often! I can live with that, even if M$ doesn't really change the design enough to make "the" difference. grr.gif
@Dandaman0808, somewhere towards the front of this thread (first 10 pages-I think), people listed alternative parts for various countries. What I have gone to in regards to the washers: 1 nylon under the mobo, then 1 nylon & 1 metal on the top side (nylon against the mobo of course). Tightening down securely "after" the 2 minute cooking seems key.... hasn't failed me yet.

Caidek

• Archived User
« Reply #1071 on: October 14, 2009, 08:53:00 PM »

Hi, First time poster here so I appologize if I ask anything stupid.

I have recently purchased a new xbox 360 as upon talking to MS customer service was advised that since my xbox 360 was purchased a long time ago it was not covered under warranty. I decided to attempt to fix my old xbox 360 that was broken.

I was originally reciving an error (RROD) when having my HDD attatched, but after a few days of running without the HDD I recieved the RROD in 3 quadrants on the ring of light. I did some trouble shooting and found the error to be linked to E18 (1020) and looked to this post as a possible solution.

I went to several hardware stores in town to locate the parts listed in the guide and after about an hour of work seemed to have the xbox successfully dissasembled and the fix installed. I attempted to boot up the xbox to allow it to "cook" and upon getting a green light at first was met with (where I thought would be the RROD) 2 flashing quadrants (top right and left) which I believe should indicate the overheat. This was immedeatly after starting with the fix installed.

I attempted what was suggested a few posts ago about disconnecting the fix and pushing down on my heat syncs, which still brings me to the flashing two red lights.

Is there anything anyone can reccomend me to do at this point? Would having too much thermal compound on the heat sync/chips (I polished them to a mirror finish before applying) do this?

Thanks in advance.

Saw Bodian

• Archived User
« Reply #1072 on: October 16, 2009, 02:27:00 PM »

I'm getting killed here, I have done several xbox's with my friend in the past, but he did most of the labor and I taught him through this tutorial by leading with instructions, now I'm solo doing the manual labor my self and............

I've tried with 3 different xbox's same result, 2 red rings aka overheating. Doing 1 nylon washer on the bottom and 1 metal 1 nylon on top (nylon against the board). About a half grain of rice (or half a pea like my friend said) of AS5, I finger tighten the M5 screws, cook until 2 red rings, unplug let it cool for 10-15 mins outside (Washington cold weather)  then tighten the screws about a quarter of what it is now, turn on starts up fine then 3-5 mins 2 red rings. Every xbox I've done it's the same results, I've done different methods such as:

Make the screws super tight then cook it = same results
Spread the AS5 evenly on the CPU/GPU = same results
Take out 1 nylon from under the GPU/CPU= same results
Cook the xbox, leave it out in the cold over night and fire up in the morning = same results
Use more / less than directed AS5 = super fail.

Now I'm afraid that if I keep testing I'll fry the chip or something. I'd say it could be the heatsink and CPU aren't properly making contact but it's 3 different xbox's and I don't think all the MB's are flexing.

Suggestions? ( I use alcohol and Qtips to clean the chips to mirror like finish everytime, it's annoying to repeat and have the same results.)

This post has been edited by Saw Bodian: Oct 16 2009, 09:28 PM

Saw Bodian

• Archived User
« Reply #1073 on: October 17, 2009, 02:50:00 PM »

QUOTE(Saw Bodian @ Oct 16 2009, 09:27 PM) View Post

I'm getting killed here, I have done several xbox's with my friend in the past, but he did most of the labor and I taught him through this tutorial by leading with instructions, now I'm solo doing the manual labor my self and............

I've tried with 3 different xbox's same result, 2 red rings aka overheating. Doing 1 nylon washer on the bottom and 1 metal 1 nylon on top (nylon against the board). About a half grain of rice (or half a pea like my friend said) of AS5, I finger tighten the M5 screws, cook until 2 red rings, unplug let it cool for 10-15 mins outside (Washington cold weather)  then tighten the screws about a quarter of what it is now, turn on starts up fine then 3-5 mins 2 red rings. Every xbox I've done it's the same results, I've done different methods such as:

Make the screws super tight then cook it = same results
Spread the AS5 evenly on the CPU/GPU = same results
Take out 1 nylon from under the GPU/CPU= same results
Cook the xbox, leave it out in the cold over night and fire up in the morning = same results
Use more / less than directed AS5 = super fail.

Now I'm afraid that if I keep testing I'll fry the chip or something. I'd say it could be the heatsink and CPU aren't properly making contact but it's 3 different xbox's and I don't think all the MB's are flexing.

Suggestions? ( I use alcohol and Qtips to clean the chips to mirror like finish everytime, it's annoying to repeat and have the same results.)

I realized I never put the white air vent on to help cool the CPU heatsink, and I didn't "cook" the 360 long enough AFTER it hits 2 rings ( I always thought you unplug after u hit 2 red rings) Any ways 5 for 6 on 360's RROD's today. One crapped out while flashing and went RROD and one doesn't have RROD and the video freezes after about half hour.

Arday2

• Archived User
« Reply #1074 on: October 22, 2009, 08:53:00 AM »

Hello Helpful People.

I originally started off with 2 RROD, an overheating issue. I couldn't resolve it so i replaced the Xclamps using this method.

The 1st time i did the fix it worked perfectly for about a week, of solid 10+ hours a day.

Then i got 2 RROD again, so i took apart my xbox to notice some of my screws were lose and the heatsinks had pulled away from the chips. Turned out i had the wrong screws in and they started to strip the inside of heatsinks so i was unable to tighten them down properly.

I took in the original xclamp bolts to a local hardware shop and they sized them up with some new screws and they matched. Started to mess around with new screws/washers.

Everything was going perfectly with the new repair, untill after i overheated the system... turned it back on i got Instant 3 RROD  uhh.gif

3 RROD code: 0002

Traced it back and there is a problem in the CPU area. it seems i have kind of scratched some of the motherboard around the screw area's due to repeated tightening and replacing and redoing the entire repair process.

IPB Image
Its pretty bad..... crys.

Close ups
Upper
IPB Image

Lower
IPB Image
[Sorry for the bad resolution]

I connected the xbox and held down the heatsink with my finger [no screws] and it turned on i had visuals on the screen for afew mins before it overheated, but when i screw it on it goes back to 3 RROD.

I need some professional help with this, i have no knowledge of anything technical, i took electronics back in school. Basic stuff and i didn't pay attention [Facepalm].

I was thinking maybe some kind of rubber washer?

I have pretty much accepted the worst, But if there is some solution i would be more then glad to hear it.
Also if i am doomed, is there some website i can buy a new motherboard from? or am i better off getting a new xbox.

Awaiting a reply
-Dan

buzz44

• Archived User
« Reply #1075 on: October 22, 2009, 10:29:00 AM »

Assuming there is no permanent damage, I would try and replace the washers with smaller diameter ones, and/or use a nylon washer for the washer that touches the motherboard.

lawdawg0931

• Archived User
« Reply #1076 on: December 06, 2009, 09:58:00 AM »

Bumping for the good of the community....  biggrin.gif  Sorry, I've been away for awhile - real life issues take priority sometimes.  wink.gif

kcking

• Archived User
« Reply #1077 on: December 08, 2009, 10:52:00 PM »

Hi everyone!
I stumbled across this thread while repairing a friends 3 RROD and thought you guys might be able to help me out.

I ran through the steps exactly as the tutorial showed and this is what I got:

I removed the x-clamps, applied AS5 and attached heat sinks finger tight.
When I turned it on it came up to the 360 screen (I was tempted to reassemble without cooking the system but thought i should follow the instructions exactly)
After cooking for 2 minutes I finished reassembling.
Now when I turn the xbox on it does the green circle, turns green for a second and then goes dark. The center light remains green but there is no light on the four light circle.

I've ran through the steps several times (minus the cooking step) making sure I did everything else right.
I really hope I didn't make a mistake by cooking the system when It was already coming up to the xbox screen.  sad.gif

TIA for your help

rowtag

• Archived User
« Reply #1078 on: January 01, 2010, 04:21:00 PM »

hi there,
it would be of great help if someone could post the list of things I need for the lawdawg's modification, I can't seem to get it right.

THANK YOU

bamarquez226

• Archived User
« Reply #1079 on: January 01, 2010, 11:19:00 PM »

The part #’s that I use come from Lowes, and the necessary parts for this mod are very inexpensive. You will need the following parts:
a) 8 M5-.80 x 10 Machine Screws #138433
cool.gif 16 #10 Flat Washers – Nylon #139065
c) 16 5mm Flat Washers – Metal #138319
d) Artic Silver thermal compound

That's from the downloadable version
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74