xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox 360 Disc Drive Problems  (Read 65 times)

Biohazard420

• Archived User
Xbox 360 Disc Drive Problems
« on: March 04, 2007, 02:31:00 PM »

When my xbox loads up games it sounds like some kind of a 1980s electric lawnmower.  And also sometimes when i try to open the disc drive it makes a clicking noise and it wont open.  I just got my console back from M$ about 3 weeks ago.  I sent it away to get fixed because it had the same problems.  Is there anyone that knows how to fix these problems.  M$ obviously doesn't.

RDC

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 05:28:00 PM »

Not sure about the clicking noise, have to hear it, if it's a pretty loud noise it could be something binding up in there, honestly haven't heard of it before and would have to see it to take even a guess. Some of the Hitachi drives do sound like a jet taking off when they spin a game disc up, not much you can do about that but replace the drive with one that doesn't.

Havok

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 07:40:00 PM »

Trust me you dont want to go fixing things yourself especially if you can send it back to MS again.. just complain to them how unhappy you are and that the problem did not get fixed.

THEsirloin

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 12:08:00 PM »

Hi,
On a similar note to the topic and to stop multiple threads i'll post here.

My sammy drive is making crazy noises too, It's when i've finished playing a game and press y to enter the dash board and "BARKKKKKKK" my drive makes a massive Howl...Is this normal??

It isn't modded in anyway and seems to be only every now and again! At first i thought it was damaging games but it ain't (well if you don't include the usually 360 scratches).

I did come up with a theory that it has something to do with the ball bearing that sensors if the console is horizontal or vertical (never used vertical) vibrating when the disk spins down.

Should i call M$??? this would be the fourth time or should i wait a while??? I've got until June until the warranty
runs out???

ktran

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2007, 10:27:00 AM »

QUOTE(Biohazard420 @ Mar 4 2007, 04:38 PM) *

When my xbox loads up games it sounds like some kind of a 1980s electric lawnmower.  And also sometimes when i try to open the disc drive it makes a clicking noise and it wont open.  I just got my console back from M$ about 3 weeks ago.  I sent it away to get fixed because it had the same problems.  Is there anyone that knows how to fix these problems.  M$ obviously doesn't.

well the same thing happened to my hitachi drive this morning. It made a loud shredding noise so I frantically open it right away. Then put the game back in and it said "unplayable", and not only games but dvd movies as well. So after searching the forum I found the solution. Turned out the damn magnet ring came off the spindle and got stuck on the top tray of the drive. I just super glue it back and voila, perfect again. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)