xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Rod  (Read 24 times)

McFace5

• Archived User
Rod
« on: March 02, 2007, 08:15:00 PM »

So after owning a 360 for almost a year it decided to die on me today, I was in the main menu, checking a message on xbox live when the screen went black. A restart greeted me to error code 0102 with three red lights (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

I removed the hard drive and it booted back up again! I turned it off plugged my video cables back in and then turned it on once more. The lights were back.

So here I am, I have added arctic silver to the cpu and gpu. Still 3 lights.

Im going to try the hot air gun method tomorrow and see if that fixes it. If not, here's my question:

I modded my 360 so the seal is broken, will microsoft still take it (as in charge me of course)? Or if the seal is broken do they drop all support, even if I pay 140$?

Thanks in advance.

This post has been edited by McFace5: Mar 3 2007, 04:15 AM

fahrenheit

• Archived User
Rod
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 08:50:00 PM »

You are on your own. MS will not touch it.

Good luck, I've been in your shoes. Am now shopping for a new one.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

McFace5

• Archived User
Rod
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 09:06:00 PM »

QUOTE(fahrenheit @ Mar 2 2007, 10:50 PM) *

You are on your own. MS will not touch it.

Good luck, I've been in your shoes. Am now shopping for a new one.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Damn, that sucks. I'll report on my failure or success with the hot air gun tomorrow (I gotta go buy one). Does anyone know how hot it should be set to?

pimpmaul69

• Archived User
Rod
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 09:23:00 PM »

i run mine on 1000 degrees for about 3 minutes

jc0v

• Archived User
Rod
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 06:19:00 AM »

McFace5

• Archived User
Rod
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2007, 08:47:00 AM »

QUOTE(jc0v @ Mar 3 2007, 08:19 AM) *

I never once had graphical errors. The only thing I began to have was random crashes, maybe half a dozen spread out the last 3-4 months before this happened (I'm not a heavy 360 gamer at all).

McFace5

• Archived User
Rod
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2007, 11:20:00 AM »

Just an update, I have diagnosed my problem being the infamous "Temperature Flexing Board". I clearly have micro-fractures on my ball solder points or something because I left my 360 running with 3 red lights for about 15 minutes to let it "flex" into a working position. I then promptly restarted it and it has been working fine for the last 20 minutes playing GoW. Im still waiting on my hot air gun so I'm hoping that it will be able to reset the solder connections, until the next time it cracks again  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif).

I can't believe the end-user has to preform these fixes in order to get the product to work.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grr.gif)

jc0v

• Archived User
Rod
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2007, 11:57:00 AM »

You obviously didn't read my post carefully because it sorts your problem. In my experience it is a more permanent fix than using a heat gun.

McFace5

• Archived User
Rod
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2007, 12:09:00 PM »

QUOTE(jc0v @ Mar 3 2007, 01:57 PM) *

You obviously didn't read my post carefully because it sorts your problem. In my experience it is a more permanent fix than using a heat gun.

Alright I'll give it a try.

dokworm

• Archived User
Rod
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2007, 10:11:00 PM »

Damn, thought it was going to be a penthouse forum letter...

You may want to try replacing the heatsink clamps so that they stop the board from flexing again, otherwise you will just get the problem again at a later date.

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=588032