xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Alternate Solution To Xbox360 Wireless Adapter ($20cdn Or Less So  (Read 15 times)

akz

• Archived User

A couple of the guys over @ Redflagdeals.com have found an alternate solution to using the WRT54GL (which costs more) and the MS Wireless Adapter (retails $100+)

Its the GIGAFAST G Router Model: WF719-CAPR and its working great as a wireless bridge and the best part is this router goes on sale about once every month at canadian retailers such as bestbuy/futureshop. Last boxing day this router was $1 after a MIR I picked it up for $19.99 last week from bestbuy.

Hers a pic of the router:
(IMG:http://www.bestbuy.ca/multimedia/products/large/10080256.jpg)

Link to the RFD thread: http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/showthread.php?t=387112

Here are my instructions to get it working for those who are interested or have this lying around at home.

HOW TO SET UP UR GIGAFAST TO WORK WITH UR XBOX360

edited: 01.06.07 @ 1:15PM

ok.. the instructions spread across the other forums are vague and unclear so I hope that this will help you guys... here are my settings for getting it to work with the Linksys WRT54G and should work the same way with any other router unless you are using a different type of encryption for your router. (I did not touch my home router at all all these settings are done via the GIGAFAST admin page)

ok this is gonna start from scratch for all the people doing this the first time:
NOTE: YOU MUST DO THIS IN THE ORDER IT IS PRESENTED IT WONT WORK ANY OTHER WAY.

-PLEASE USE A RJ45 CABLE AND CONNECT YOUR LAPTOP or DESKTOP to the GIGAFAST ROUTER DISABLING OTHER WIRELESS OR INTERNET GOING TO THE PC. DO NOT ATEMPT THE SETUP WIRELESSLY PLEASE DONT BE LAZY AND JUST CONNECT IT USING THE ETHERNET CABLE.

-If you've screwed up once already reset the router..
  -While the GIGAFAST is still powered on, press and hold the RESET button with a pen at the back for around 10 seconds or less and release. (You may have to do this while powered off as well not sure) And if you changed anything everything should be back to default. (One way to be sure is if you changed the routers ip it should now be back at 192.168.1.254. Or if you couldnt access the admin page before, you can now.)

-Goto http://192.168.1.254 with Internet Explorer or whatever browser you are using. (this is the default page for your router, this will change later on by itself, I will teach you how to find it again.)

-Goto TCP/IP Settings > LAN Interface
  -Inside set DHCP: CLIENT > Apply Changes

-Goto Wireless > Basic Settings
  -Inside Set:
       BAND: 2.4 GHz(B+G)
       MODE: Client
       Network Type: Infrastructure
       SSID: (LEAVE THIS BLANK)
       Apply Changes

**(NOTE: IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A WEP KEY/SECURITY ON YOUR HOST ROUTER YOU CAN SKIP THIS NEXT STEP.)
-Goto Wireless > Security
   -Inside Set:
       ENCRYPTION: WEP > Apply Changes > Set WEP KEY > Apply Changes
       (set the key the same as your host routers wep key)

-Goto Operation Mode
  -Inside Set Your Router To: BRIDGE

-Goto Wireless > Basic Settings > Site Survey > Refresh
  -You will now see your host routers SSID name in there.. select it  and press Connect.

NOTE: IF YOUVE EDITED OR CHANGED  SOME STEPS JUST MAKE SURE CONNECTING TO YOUR HOST ROUTER IS THE VERY VERY LAST STEP!

-Give the router a few seconds and it should connect.. if the router says Connected Ok! then its connected.

-How to test if im really connected?
Remember I told you to connect using the RJ45 Cable? If you screwed up or whatever your still connected physically to the router fixing things wont be hard. Just try to get on the internet by opening a browser and going to GOOGLE.CA or YAHOO.CA if your desktop or laptop can connect to the internet you have successfully setup your GIGAFAST router. (better than testing on your Xbox360, finding out its not working then bringing it back to your computer and doing it again.)
-Inside STATUS page it will show for WAN configuration that its Getting IP from DHCP Server and the ip address and everything below it is blank. Dont worry about that your on bridge mode if the "STATE" under the Wireless Configuration shows CONNECTED you are fine.
-Give it time may take more than one try to get it working... depending on your host routers settings.
-Can I turn off the router? or do I have to keep it on 24/7 in fear of losing the settings?
NO you can power off the router if you want or leave it on its up to you, you can unplug it and plug it back in and once your settings are correct it will automatically connect to your wireless internet. (as long as you dont reset the settings you are fine.)

-How to find/access the GIGAFAST admin page again once you have it connected.
You will notice how you cant get back to the 192.168.1.254 page once your router links with your host router. This is because your host router has assigned your GIGAFAST a IP address in its DHCP range.. (thus your GIGAFAST is working under a different ip address) For any reasons why you will want to change your settings or access the admin page. Its just plain trial and error, logon to your host router and click under "DEVICE LIST" (often under your STATUS page (for linksys) and you will see all devices connected and ips that are assigned to each device. Connect your GIGAFAST to a computer and trial and error the ips, one of them will log you into the admin page of your GIGAFAST.

-How to setup your router for other locations of play.
Lets face it your XBOX360 might always be on the move between different houses that you frequently visit..  so this is how you are going to setup each of the different houses easily. If they've got a router then 99% of the time they'll have a WEP key on their network. Under WIRELESS > SECURITY > WEP KEYS you will see that you can enter up to 4 or 5 WEP keys. And you are allowed to choose a DEFAULT transmit key. Set the other keys to the WEP keys of different houses and when you get to that house instead of running the setup all over again .. just change the default transmit key to match the place you are at. IE: Key 1 = HOME, Key 2 = GFS House, Key 3 = Buddies Place (you get the idea?) Similarly if they have NO WEP key, then just disable WEP (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

hope this helps some of you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)