xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: 3 Red Light & Heat Gun  (Read 721 times)

Le Nikolaz

• Archived User
3 Red Light & Heat Gun
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2006, 05:29:00 AM »

my 360 is overcomed a week after hot gun and still working:)
still keep my fingers crossed.

p.s tray of my drive opens from 6-7th time when 360 is in vertical stand:( wtf!?!?

This post has been edited by Le Nikolaz: Dec 18 2006, 01:30 PM

mygameswirelesscom

• Archived User
3 Red Light & Heat Gun
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2006, 06:59:00 PM »

hey how thinks going ?
yes so far so good !!
360 working good !!

3 360 that i am testing is going verygood !!
i hop it stays that way ..........

i have 1 360 that i have repair befor with heatgun is coming back .....
they call so i need to see what cuse this i will let you know soon !!
 hey have a nice x-mas~~~~~~~~

be good!

tiavo

• Archived User
3 Red Light & Heat Gun
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2006, 06:02:00 AM »

Deductive reasoning involving the reasons for the occurence of 3 red lights in xbox 360 systems and why heat gun treatment works but fails eventually after prolonged usage or major update.

http://forums.xbox.c...4/ShowPost.aspx

Hope that you find it informative, it also makes for good read

mygameswirelesscom

• Archived User
3 Red Light & Heat Gun
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2006, 04:52:00 PM »

QUOTE(tiavo @ Dec 25 2006, 02:09 PM) View Post

Deductive reasoning involving the reasons for the occurence of 3 red lights in xbox 360 systems and why heat gun treatment works but fails eventually after prolonged usage or major update.

http://forums.xbox.c...4/ShowPost.aspx

Hope that you find it informative, it also makes for good read

thank you !
this is good !!
but i think i have batter ways to fex 360s !!!
i  need time to test before i post !!!
i will post soon !!
yes 360 with heatgun repairs i have ...
yes they came back so i did ______and put ______and it is good!!
so far so good just need more time to be ...................
so i know my repairs r good in time will tell~

hey be good~~
will update soon

mygameswirelesscom

• Archived User
3 Red Light & Heat Gun
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2006, 06:20:00 AM »

mygameswirelesscom

• Archived User
3 Red Light & Heat Gun
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2006, 10:14:00 PM »

hey happy New Years !!
i have 4 360 that i repair b4
came back this was repair 12-4-06
so i used  heat gun one more time with ____and put ___and
will give back 1-2-07 i am runing 360 for 72hr non stop but
i see lots of time 3red comes from playing games not from playing dvdmoves
so i need to test more but i can be playing for all day ..........
i see y but just need to proof  time will tell
and i am gating a lots 360s with 3red
i hop my test could  proof  y we geting lots Error Codes
will post soon how 360s TEST .........
hey good luck

p.s. what kind of heat gun are you using?
     1-2-07 will go to job and let you know soon  biggrin.gif

mygameswirelesscom

• Archived User
3 Red Light & Heat Gun
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2006, 11:51:00 PM »

QUOTE(mygameswirelesscom @ Dec 31 2006, 06:21 AM) View Post

hey happy New Years !!
i have 4 360 that i repair b4
came back this was repair 12-4-06
so i used  heat gun one more time with ____and put ___and
will give back 1-2-07 i am runing 360 for 72hr non stop but
i see lots of time 3red comes from playing games not from playing dvdmoves
so i need to test more but i can be playing for all day ..........
i see y but just need to proof  time will tell
and i am gating a lots 360s with 3red
i hop my test could  proof  y we geting lots Error Codes
will post soon how 360s TEST .........
hey good luck

p.s. what kind of heat gun are you using?
     1-2-07 will go to job and let you know soon  biggrin.gif

hey need video 4 heat gun!!

http://video.google....6...20fix&hl=en

heatgun
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?sho...&st=0\

good luck!!

mygameswirelesscom

• Archived User
3 Red Light & Heat Gun
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2007, 11:38:00 PM »

Hello everyone Have a Happy New Year ~~~
Just want to point out what I have done wrong!!
I see lot’s of repairs with heat gun but not much luck with time…. (3red comes back)

Ok this is what is most common info you will see in this forums (I did this stapes too) …..
But in this step a lot’s of think I miss and need caution

1. Completely disassembled it (including both heat sinks)
 (Removing heart sank unit lots of time X piece could mass up your mobo if you see
The X piece in center you will see black piece y you putting or disassemble ding even a bit movement will touch that small tiny piece and will damage the mobo if that happens you 360will freeze every 5min to a 10min top playing games yes it will boot to dashboard but will freeze
You must solder the same tiny piece to work 100% some time you don’t even know if you mass up the piece see and look hard)

2. Used compressed air to blow dust out of all parts
(This is good but I also cleaned the mobo top to bottom with Q tip and I do very well at cleanings)

3. Removed the existing thermal compound from both heat sinks and both the CPU and GPU
 (Most time I think lot’s people are not thinking at this time it is very important to put thermal compound but how much? and need to dry!!!!!!!!!!!!! I did same and 3red came back
These days I put past and dry the mobo for 2days with my fan on it …
Putting rightamont of past and drying parts is very important)

4. Did a modified version of the hot air gun fix - I didn't have a hot air gun, so I used a hair dryer on max heat. Figured at worst this would ensure the CPU and GPU dies were dry for the new thermal compound.
(Used heat gun and time your self don’t be so smart (I do 5min top)
I heat up back of mobo first then I do the CPU and GPU need to keep moving)

5. Added new thermal compound to both dies - heavy application. Covered all main chips, plus some extra.
(I don’t put much past I let my dry then put a one smaller layer)
6. Reassembled
(Removing heart sank unit lots of time X piece could mass up your mobo if you see
The X piece in center you will see black piece y you putting or disassemble ding even a bit movement will touch that small tiny piece and will damage the mobo if that happens you 360will freeze every 5min to a 10min top playing games yes it will boot to dashboard but will freeze playing games
You must solder the same tiny piece to work 100% some time you don’t even know if you mass up the piece see and look hard)

ok hop this help you a bit ~
See what want wrong I made lot’s of mistake to so it is ok!!
Hey good luck ~~

Safrole

• Archived User
3 Red Light & Heat Gun
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2007, 10:44:00 AM »

Here's your mistake:  YOU ARE NOT MELTING THE SOLDER!

How does a professional repair a cracked BGA connection?  They use a reflow station.  The word "reflow" means the solder is melted, and it flows, it "reflows".  That video shows that you are not getting it hot enough to reflow.  It will fix for a short time by getting very hot, which is all that you are doing.

Put a small piece of solder on top the chip.  When the solder changes shape, get it just a little hotter and you're done.  This will fix it permanently (or at least as good as the original manufacture), as long as you got the right chip.

Do not put your board in the oven.  That is how they were originally made, but the plastic parts were not attached.  The heat gun method (with solder pieces to tell the correct temperature) is quite suitable and permanent.

dj_adamix

• Archived User
3 Red Light & Heat Gun
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2007, 10:34:00 AM »

QUOTE(Safrole @ Jan 3 2007, 06:15 PM) View Post

Here's your mistake:  YOU ARE NOT MELTING THE SOLDER!

How does a professional repair a cracked BGA connection?  They use a reflow station.  The word "reflow" means the solder is melted, and it flows, it "reflows".  That video shows that you are not getting it hot enough to reflow.  It will fix for a short time by getting very hot, which is all that you are doing.

Put a small piece of solder on top the chip.  When the solder changes shape, get it just a little hotter and you're done.  This will fix it permanently (or at least as good as the original manufacture), as long as you got the right chip.

Do not put your board in the oven.  That is how they were originally made, but the plastic parts were not attached.  The heat gun method (with solder pieces to tell the correct temperature) is quite suitable and permanent.

well remember that the temp under the chip is way smaller than the temp on top of the chip where u put that piece of solder. plus solder used in xbox could be different kind. different melting point etc. so key is to heat it up long and good. good way to check if its hot enough is to use magnifying glass and look at solder balls under the chip. while heating it up look when the balls are gettin shiny. then just heat it up a little bit longer and ure done. but dont move anything cuz the temp is dropping slowly and any small movement of the mobo could just rip off some components.

mygameswirelesscom

• Archived User
3 Red Light & Heat Gun
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2007, 11:17:00 PM »

Hey thanks for the Tip!!
But this is what I think!! love.gif

1)  Ok I do use a good heat gun!!
   2)  3red is coming from 360 is causes by safety luck up
   3)  360 solder are Led Free soldering!!
     (Do you know what is Led Free soldering is?) blink.gif
   4)  So WE ARE NOT MELTING THE SOLDER joint!
   5)  What we are doing is drying the ______on the gpu and cup!!
   6)  In the gap mobo and CPU and GPU you will see...
   7)  Time to time it will bill up a some think call _____!
   8)  That is y we are getting all the deferent Error Codes        
   9)  if you look …
    http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?     s=8780779e13bb1529917dcbb82a28c2b6&showtopic=539063&st=135

You will see RDC post...
   see ( C4R29 = next to it see C4R18 ,C4R16, C4R20, C4R17,C4R14, C4R13, I don’t know 100% but I think   0020,0021,0022,0023, Error Codes comes from betoin mobo and  Gpu,Cpu gap that bills up ____and cause shot and luck up !!
   10)  Yes I try matter case fix, and troop pick, 12Vfan, and more….
   11)  So far my entire test for 360 I have try 4 deferent ways but 2 no good!
    (Other 2 are running dame good will post in 3week when test is over)

Yes I am a new bee so I could be wrong ….(but I have repair 360 over 70)
   And I do thank you for you interest   sorry for my pool engish!!

happy.gif P.S. if yours come back with 3red plz let me know !!!
      Yes I hop not but if it dose let us know ~~!! wink.gif

qaz_

• Archived User
3 Red Light & Heat Gun
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2007, 01:35:00 AM »

hi i see you soon!
thanks ! happy.gif

Safrole

• Archived User
3 Red Light & Heat Gun
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2007, 07:25:00 AM »

The problem is a physical crack in the solder joint.  That microscopic crack must be fixed.  The solder must be melted to fix the crack.  The percentage of lead or silver or uranium in the tin solder does not change the nature of the problem at all.

You DO have to melt the solder.  Fixing with a hair dryer, or wrapping a towel around the xbox, or using a heat gun without melting the solder all does the same thing.

What is that?

It uses thermal expansion to create a tiny bit of movement.  The crack in the BGA connection is microscopic.  Just a little heat can "fix" it.  Mac Ibooks have a very similar problem.  You can push your thumb on the chip and get it to work.  It's the same; a little bit of pressure "fixes" a very microscopic break.  Some people with 360 problems can push on a chip and fix their problem, too.  If you put your thumb on the chip and fix it, well it's easy to see what's going on.  When you put a heat gun or hair dryer on there, it seems like something more mysterious has taken place, but each is impermanent.

Some people don't understand this.  Their minds begin to come up with other reasons like lead or moisture content could be some reason.  Pure voodoo.  Don't overanalyze the problem in search of undiscovered truth.  This is an old truth which is only new to the gamer scene.  Remember Occam's razor.  It's a simple crack that has opened up through many thermal cycles.  These thermal cycles may have been worse where original manufacturing didn't use enough thermal paste.  It MUST BE REMELTED as it was originally MELTED.  You must reflow the solder.

Le Nikolaz

• Archived User
3 Red Light & Heat Gun
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2007, 08:43:00 AM »

3 weeks have passed since final(third) hot gun fix for my 360, and it fucked up again:(
3 red lights again.
So i'm seriously think about what to do next....wait for new revision of 360's hardware or buy a new 360 now?

also, the guy who fixed my console with hot air gun suggested to solder motherboard of my 360 by himself...probably not for free. What'll you say? Whether it is necessary to have deal with?

Tortuga2112

• Archived User
3 Red Light & Heat Gun
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2007, 10:36:00 AM »

so do you guys think a fan will help to keep the fix permanent?

I'm sure extra cooling can't hurt anyway, as this thing runs pretty hot.

I'm thinking that when you've been playing for a few hours, it gets so hot that any little jarring of the console will break a connection on the bga. if the temp is kept a bit lower then there is less of a chance that the solder will reach high enough temp to crack. At the least, it'll keep the temperature fluctuations smaller.
less expansion and contraction means less chance to break the solder.

When re installing the board I was so paranoid about flexing it and breaking the connection. holding everything all gingerly  unsure.gif

I did notice that flipping the screens on the dashboard is much faster now than before. I read a post a while ago that mentioned this as well. I like it. it would also make sense as far as the graphics on a game being able to keep up now as well and not locking up.

anyone else notice this?

Do you guys think the game being played makes a difference? I think a game like gears of war pushes the gpu harder and creates more heat than playing something like tetris or some other non graphics intensive game. That's just my speculation. anyone agree?  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10