xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: 3 Red Light & Heat Gun  (Read 734 times)

mygameswirelesscom

• Archived User
3 Red Light & Heat Gun
« on: November 30, 2006, 09:20:00 PM »

hi i am new to a Forums
my name is michael i work at games&wireless
most time i do the repairs on ps2 psp x-box and
x-box360 i have repair 5000S of ps2 1000S of psp ,x-box1000S
and x-box360 4 and i have 30~40 to go.....(at the moment)
ok i see thes Forums and big help to me
and by the way i am korean so my engish ist good .....
i have try lots of thing ....(be couse 3red light)

ok some say used heat Gun (yes it works )
(not all the time)

ok some say they have seen Aluminum Foil on GBA(by CPU) cooling BRICK (post cools the CPU)
(yes they(MS) massup BIG TIME ) yes i have seen the ALUMINUM FOIL
i remove the pice and WILL try ....(up date soon)

PS. i could post more info but my engish is very pool
But i will try to let you know more how 360repairs are going soon!

hi i back !!
yes it want good so far

yes try to remove Aluminum Foil pice and try it
same 3 red light  and i try the cord ..... but no good!
so i try 1more time with heat gun
same 3 red light
all my 3 xbox360 have 3redlight
no dashboard i see 0
(my gusse is that they try everthing befor they sent to me)
what i did was last try i put power and Press and hold the sync up button
hey it work !!
i have more to fex ...........
i will keep post how xbox360 repairs r going see you soon!

mygameswirelesscom

• Archived User
3 Red Light & Heat Gun
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 04:20:00 PM »

QUOTE(mygameswirelesscom @ Dec 1 2006, 04:51 AM) View Post

hi i am new to a Forums

(not all the time)

ok some say they have seen Aluminum Foil on GBA(by CPU) cooling BRICK (post cools the CPU)

hi i back !!
yes it want good so far

same 3 red light  and i try the cods ..... but no good!
same 3 red light
no dashboard i see 0
hey it work !!

hi yes one that 360 i fround Aluminum Foil pice...
yes i test..........aboth 3~4hrs of working..........good!!!

P.S i have fix 360s  more i see more i think it is the ___    _becouse_______________ .
what do you think?

daniel390

• Archived User
3 Red Light & Heat Gun
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 11:02:00 AM »

QUOTE(mygameswirelesscom @ Dec 2 2006, 05:27 PM) View Post

P.S i have fix 360s  more i see more i think it is the ___    _becouse_______________ .
what do you think?

HEY MAN I READ THIS ITS VERY GOOD BUT CAN U EXPLAIN THIS BECAUSE I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM OM MY XBOX360 PLEASE. I CALL MICROSOFT AND THEY WAN'T $140 TO FIX THIS, PLEASE HELP ME. THANKS.

DANIEL JIMENEZ

Boiker

• Archived User
3 Red Light & Heat Gun
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 03:39:00 PM »

^ No need for that, that's just racist. He said he was Korean and to please excuse his English.

You know what? They should have a caps lock thread... just for you. Last time I looked Shakespeare wasn't written in capital letters either.

Being a new member, it would certainly be a shame to see you suddenly banned after only 3 posts wouldn't it?

mygameswirelesscom

• Archived User
3 Red Light & Heat Gun
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 11:59:00 PM »

QUOTE(daniel390 @ Dec 3 2006, 07:09 PM) *

HEY MAN I READ THIS ITS VERY GOOD BUT CAN U EXPLAIN THIS BECAUSE I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM OM MY XBOX360 PLEASE. I CALL MICROSOFT AND THEY WAN'T $140 TO FIX THIS, PLEASE HELP ME. THANKS.

DANIEL JIMENEZ

hey sorry for leat respond! (YouTube Service  <[email protected] ) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

it is not too hard to try but you must be very caryful with removeing the pice that horing the
heatsiking unit (heat gun dose not work 100%)
 i say 60%~70% and some time it will come back 3red light
sorry for my pool engrish !!

P.S. i have fex more 360 but some comes back with 2 red light
     so i have to rerepair some 360unity ...
   some say in this Forums mostey is the reson for the all
  so i have and see y and how to be sure that mostey is the reson
 i have some pohto wich i will post soon !
ones i have repair the 360 that came back with 3 red light ...

QUOTE(mygameswirelesscom @ Dec 6 2006, 07:27 AM) *

hey sorry for leat respond! (YouTube Service  <[email protected] you will see it search for it)

it is not too hard to try but you must be very caryful with removeing the pice that horing the
heatsiking unit (heat gun dose not work 100%)
 i say 60%~70% and some time it will come back 3red light
sorry for my pool engrish !!

P.S. i have fex more 360 but some comes back with 2 red light
     so i have to rerepair some 360unity ...
   some say in this Forums mostey is the reson for the all
  so i have and see y and how to be sure that mostey is the reson
 i have some pohto wich i will post soon !
ones i have repair the 360 that came back with 3 red light ...

madmackem

• Archived User
3 Red Light & Heat Gun
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 12:45:00 PM »

hey it work !!

Ive started getting 3 reds now - what does that mean from OP? where/what is the sync up button?

i think my box might be overheating, it comes on to dash, loads a game then freezes, or i get nothing on screen and 3 reds any ideas?

mygameswirelesscom

• Archived User
3 Red Light & Heat Gun
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 04:49:00 PM »

QUOTE(mygameswirelesscom @ Dec 3 2006, 12:27 AM) View Post

what do you think?

mygameswirelesscom

• Archived User
3 Red Light & Heat Gun
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 05:16:00 PM »

QUOTE(mygameswirelesscom @ Dec 1 2006, 04:51 AM) View Post

hi i am new to a Forums

(not all the time)

hi i back !!
yes it want good so far

same 3 red light  and i try the cord ..... but no good!
same 3 red light
no dashboard i see 0
hey it work !!

hi i see more 3red light every day!!
i think some 360 i have repair have overheating !!
so what i did wae i put pice of card in top of the heatsinkig unity so it give more
sucksion !! so far so good!!
i have test 5hrs so i will give back let see if it comes back !!
i will let you know!

P.S. lots of time 3 red r coming becouse
    too much past in cpu !!
    i have seen a lot ....
  hey so dont put too much ok
  besure to clean be for you put new past ok
(used artic silver 5 past it is the best)
  Good Luck all ~~~

mygameswirelesscom

• Archived User
3 Red Light & Heat Gun
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 08:16:00 PM »

hi y not
i have some tough in my mind~~
i want too ask what you think !!
more i see 360s i get too think too myself  YYY  YYY YYY  ???  and i see

"Team Modfreakz" discovered that his console with 3 red lights and error code 0102 also had graphical errors and putting great pressure on the memory chips the errors would disappear. This is important because the memory chips, the CPU and the GPU all attach to the mainboard though what's called a Ball Grid Array or BGA. Basically when manufactured there are hundreds of tiny solder balls on the bottom of the chips, the chips are laid into place on the motherboard and then sent into an oven. The oven heats up the solder and in doing so connect the chips permanently to the mainboard. This is used for its low space requirements and ease of manufacturing, the Xbox 1 and many other products use this as well.

What's interesting about Team Modfreakz discovery is that it proves that (his Xbox 360 at least) did not have a good connection between the chip and the mainboard. It's no unheard of for a BGA connection to occasionally go bad or not come out of the oven as it should. If the solder balls were not properly heated in the oven it can easily create a weak or finicky connection between the chip and the mainboard that might be dead out of the oven, or get worse overtime, or even change in reliability based on changes in temperature and humidity etc.

Team Modfreakz decided to use a heat gun and simulate the effects of an oven in an attempt to "reflow" and thus repair any bad solder joints in the BGAs. It would seem that this method was quite successful. Later Team Modfreakz released a video demonstrating the proper procedure for re-heating the mainboard.

From What I've seen, many of the people who have attempted this have had great success in repairing 3 red lights and 0102 error code Xbox 360 consoles. While it does not have 100% success it seems to have worked well for many people who were able to get rid of their console problems altogether. The method is quite dangerous and easy to screw up it is certainly NOT for the faint of heart. I would recommend anyone who has problems either return your console to the store to have it replaced or call MS at 1-800-4MY-XBOX to have the console replaced or repaired. I would only recommend attempting Team Modfreakz's method as a very last resort. If you do attempt it, you do so at your own risk.

and i see

Hi all

Just wanted to pass this along, I have used the heat gun trick successfully for about 70% of the system I repair, and with the addition of 12v cooling have not had any further issues. You know what annoys me is the last 30%, my conclusion is that the soldering is so bad on these even the heat gun won't work

Now this got my mind thinking, what if we could heat the board up to the 400-450 degree mark and let the solder flow enough to remake these knackered contacts. My solution to this is to put the complete board into the oven!!, set it up for about 400-450 as the thermostats are not great, remember there for cooking food! COVER anything with plastic in it (All connectors etc, remove board from case (obviously) and the heat sinks. Place on a baking tray (to allow you to remove with out picking up board and cook for about 10mins at that temperature. Then you have 2 choices turn off oven and DON'T move the board or move extremely carefully to cool slowly. I have repaired about 2 out of 3 other boards like this. IT MUST BE STRESSED TO BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL TO PROTECT ALL PLASTIC< IT WILL MELT. Successful on 0110 and 0102 errors so far.

Wife not very happy but hey if it works!!

Let me know how it goes

C  

How do you cover the plastic connectors? Do you desolder them and take them off the board?

I used the foil backed fiberglass insultation for the plastic parts. The board that have been repaired are still working 4 weeks and counting!!!

then y and y so many error code ?

and i was thinking thinking .................................
went to work and lock onder the mobo i see all and look look look !!!
and i see y !!!!!!!!!!
i need too test befor i post
but to let you know a bet
yes it is macking a shot in bottom of the mobo that is y
and reson for all the error code !!
time to time it will billup a something i dont know how to expland
but i could see the things that macking the 3 red light
if i am right we will see a new malter case from MS soon !
i have some picture but i dont know how to post !! ( i know domass ya it me )
i have 2 way too test if my info is right..
if thingks go well i will post soon !!

awdark

• Archived User
3 Red Light & Heat Gun
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2006, 11:29:00 PM »

but wouldn't baking it in an oven introduce too much heat for too long?

I know some processes make circuit boards on hot surfaces to melt the solder and all that but I would think it would heat lets say... the memory chips past their designed specs and just kill it altogether.

So are the problems probably coming from the BGA solder joints?

This is an interesting thread though.

ron350

• Archived User
3 Red Light & Heat Gun
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2006, 11:45:00 PM »

mygameswirelesscom

Thank you for posting the useful information and the “Heat gun trick” link.  smile.gif

Chancer

• Archived User
3 Red Light & Heat Gun
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2006, 01:03:00 AM »

QUOTE(Boiker @ Dec 3 2006, 10:10 PM) View Post

^ No need for that, that's just racist. He said he was Korean and to please excuse his English.

You know what? They should have a caps lock thread... just for you. Last time I looked Shakespeare wasn't written in capital letters either.

Being a new member, it would certainly be a shame to see you suddenly banned after only 3 posts wouldn't it?

With what he said (Which I have removed), it's not too much of a shame to see his posting removed.
Please report any of this stuff you see. It's not happening on XS.
Cheers

mygameswirelesscom

• Archived User
3 Red Light & Heat Gun
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2006, 11:22:00 PM »

[quote name='mygameswirelesscom' date='Dec 7 2006, 04:23 AM' post='3791822']
hi y not
i have some tough in my mind~~
i want too ask what you think !!
more i see 360s i get too think too myself  YYY  YYY YYY  ???  and i see

"Team Modfreakz" discovered that his console with 3 red lights and error code 0102 also had graphical errors and putting great pressure on the memory chips the errors would disappear. This is important because the memory chips, the CPU and the GPU all attach to the mainboard though what's called a Ball Grid Array or BGA. Basically when manufactured there are hundreds of tiny solder balls on the bottom of the chips, the chips are laid into place on the motherboard and then sent into an oven. The oven heats up the solder and in doing so connect the chips permanently to the mainboard. This is used for its low space requirements and ease of manufacturing, the Xbox 1 and many other products use this as well.

What's interesting about Team Modfreakz discovery is that it proves that (his Xbox 360 at least) did not have a good connection between the chip and the mainboard. It's no unheard of for a BGA connection to occasionally go bad or not come out of the oven as it should. If the solder balls were not properly heated in the oven it can easily create a weak or finicky connection between the chip and the mainboard that might be dead out of the oven, or get worse overtime, or even change in reliability based on changes in temperature and humidity etc.

Team Modfreakz decided to use a heat gun and simulate the effects of an oven in an attempt to "reflow" and thus repair any bad solder joints in the BGAs. It would seem that this method was quite successful. Later Team Modfreakz released a video demonstrating the proper procedure for re-heating the mainboard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYv6b7MndJk

From What I've seen, many of the people who have attempted this have had great success in repairing 3 red lights and 0102 error code Xbox 360 consoles. While it does not have 100% success it seems to have worked well for many people who were able to get rid of their console problems altogether. The method is quite dangerous and easy to screw up it is certainly NOT for the faint of heart. I would recommend anyone who has problems either return your console to the store to have it replaced or call MS at 1-800-4MY-XBOX to have the console replaced or repaired. I would only recommend attempting Team Modfreakz's method as a very last resort. If you do attempt it, you do so at your own risk.

and i see

Hi all

Just wanted to pass this along, I have used the heat gun trick successfully for about 70% of the system I repair, and with the addition of 12v cooling have not had any further issues. You know what annoys me is the last 30%, my conclusion is that the soldering is so bad on these even the heat gun won't work

Now this got my mind thinking, what if we could heat the board up to the 400-450 degree mark and let the solder flow enough to remake these knackered contacts. My solution to this is to put the complete board into the oven!!, set it up for about 400-450 as the thermostats are not great, remember there for cooking food! COVER anything with plastic in it (All connectors etc, remove board from case (obviously) and the heat sinks. Place on a baking tray (to allow you to remove with out picking up board and cook for about 10mins at that temperature. Then you have 2 choices turn off oven and DON'T move the board or move extremely carefully to cool slowly. I have repaired about 2 out of 3 other boards like this. IT MUST BE STRESSED TO BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL TO PROTECT ALL PLASTIC< IT WILL MELT. Successful on 0110 and 0102 errors so far.

Wife not very happy but hey if it works!!

Let me know how it goes

C  
How do you cover the plastic connectors? Do you desolder them and take them off the board?

I used the foil backed fiberglass insultation for the plastic parts. The board that have been repaired are still working 4 weeks and counting!!!

then y and y so many error code ?

and i was thinking thinking .................................
went to work and lock onder the mobo i see all and look look look !!!
and i see y !!!!!!!!!!
i need too test befor i post
but to let you know a bet
yes it is macking a shot in bottom of the mobo that is y
and reson for all the error code !!
time to time it will billup a something i dont know how to expland
but i could see the things that macking the 3 red light
if i am right we will see a new malter case from MS soon !
i have some picture but i dont know how to post !! ( i know domass ya it me )
i have 2 way too test if my info is right..
if thingks go well i will post soon !!

hi ok
this is what i think what i have done ?!!
to repair 360s yes i have fex all in my job
now no more 360s (but lots of psp)
i dont know how but it is done!
i give back 2 360s onrepair ...
so i say 87% i have fex not bad at all for newbee! (i think)
all the repair i did i keep photos of motherboard
and  MFG date. S# ...
i dont know y  but i did (in my job we do keep rco)

i think way the 360 is bill they have saftey divice the keeps
360 sayfuer so frome mobo if it shots up it will lock up
and y it gets shots
what i think time to time betooin the mobo and metel case in the gap it will billup
somekind of tural (you will see this in fire damage computer )
if you look at the bottom of mobo you will see this(look hard)
so with heatgun it is oney a mater of time that it could comback!
i need to be sure it will last a one full year
i am testing 2 360
 1 with adding a   fiberglass insultation in the mobo gap
 2  adding a 12v fan  
i will update soon what happans !!

hey tell me what you think ?
P.S. if you could post 3redlight 360s info it helps me a lot
      MFG date  
      S #
      howmany hr did you play

think you

FUVictim

• Archived User
3 Red Light & Heat Gun
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2006, 07:00:00 PM »

Hi mygameswirelesscom (and everyone else, I'm new around here!),  you seem to be good at fixing 360s!

I have the 3 red lights..  error code is 0020... I don't know what to do (was thinking about the Heatgun, but it does not seem to be the error code that the people who used this trick had)..  

If I understand correctly, there is something under the motherboard that could cause this over time? Maybe that's not exactly it...  Should I try to remove the foil thing and put some real thermal paste (artic silver 5?)? Any other suggestions??

I'm not sure I understand everything though, but since my warranty is over, and by the way M$ is treating the victims of the FU, i'd rather try and fix it myself if that's possible.. so any pointers would really be appreciated!!

Thanks guys!!

So that's pretty much it, you asked for some details :

MFG: 2006-04-05
Estimated play time: 10-15hours a week from the end of june to end of nov. (when it "died").

mygameswirelesscom

• Archived User
3 Red Light & Heat Gun
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2006, 09:10:00 PM »

[quote name='FUVictim' date='Dec 9 2006, 02:31 AM' post='3794552']
Hi mygameswirelesscom (and everyone else, I'm new around here!),  you seem to be good at fixing 360s!

I have the 3 red lights..  error code is 0020... I don't know what to do (was thinking about the Heatgun, but it does not seem to be the error code that the people who used this trick had)..  

If I understand correctly, there is something under the motherboard that could cause this over time? Maybe that's not exactly it...  Should I try to remove the foil thing and put some real thermal paste (artic silver 5?)? Any other suggestions??

I'm not sure I understand everything though, but since my warranty is over, and by the way M$ is treating the victims of the FU, i'd rather try and fix it myself if that's possible.. so any pointers would really be appreciated!!

Thanks guys!!

So that's pretty much it, you asked for some details :

MFG: 2006-04-05
Estimated play time: 10-15hours a week from the end of june to end of nov. (when it "died").

hey yes you could try it ~~
just be head up go see (http://myspace.com look for [email protected])
good luck (it will work  let me know)
thanks for that info !@@!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10