xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Heat Gun Fix, What Gun?  (Read 151 times)

aepuppetmaster

• Archived User
Heat Gun Fix, What Gun?
« on: September 19, 2006, 06:55:00 PM »

I am preparing to do a 3 red light fix on an xbox im getting, but i need to know some detail from you guys who have done this as to what heat gun to buy.  I was wondering what temp you need to have in a gun (500, 1000 0F etc.) and also where to buy one.  Im looking for something around ~30, so can anyone recomend a brand i could pick up at sears, home depot etc. (or even amazon).  I'd really apreciate the help. thanks

-puppetmaster

Tfizzle

• Recovered User
Heat Gun Fix, What Gun?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 11:42:00 PM »

i just went to my local ace hardware and bought the cheapest one.  i think its Ace brand too.  it was 20

-Xbox360Man-

• Archived User
Heat Gun Fix, What Gun?
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 10:38:00 AM »

Use a hairdryer, worked for me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

This post has been edited by -Xbox360Man-: Sep 20 2006, 05:38 PM

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
Heat Gun Fix, What Gun?
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 02:44:00 PM »

I have a Craftsman heatgun $25 from sears... it's got 120F, 400F, 800F and 1200F modes

from what I've heard you should use around 800F, this makes sense as well since you essentially need to liquify the solder again, and based on envornmental regulation these consoles aren't using lead solder... alternative solder typically requires higher heat to melt properly.

Perplexer

• Recovered User
Heat Gun Fix, What Gun?
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 02:53:00 PM »

I think most of these fixes are a placebo effect.

1. A hair dryer won't get hot enough to liquify solder.
2. Anyone having to do the heat gun trick more than once hasn't really done anything.
3. The 360 mobo seems picky... just the act of disassembling/reassembling the unit may get it to boot for a while.

I would never buy a used 360 which someone claims they've "fixed" with the heat gun trick.  It is more likely they just damaged something else in the process.

mrmoe

• Archived User
Heat Gun Fix, What Gun?
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 01:47:00 PM »

i did the heat gun trick it was the only thing to get my machine to boot back up, after i cleaned the gpu / cpu heatsinks and applied artic white, 60hrs now nps, and if it does screw up again ill just keep fixing till i cant anymore, gotta get the most outta my machine since MS wants more cash from me to fix it, and many of the refurbs they give you for 157 can,  give you the same problems after a few months of use! Know people on their 3rd machine

mrRobinson

• Archived User
Heat Gun Fix, What Gun?
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 03:00:00 PM »

I think Perplexer is exactly right.  i think somewhere in the act of disassembly and reassembly it's resolving the issue but not the heat gun.  mrmoe you said it was the only thing you did but then you followed that with the fact that you cleaned the heatsinks, etc.  There is a guy the pinned topic that said he made "dimples" on the cage with a screwdriver head to help it tighten better around the heatsinks and this seemed to help.

jordash

• Archived User
Heat Gun Fix, What Gun?
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2006, 03:08:00 PM »

QUOTE(Perplexer @ Sep 20 2006, 09:24 PM) *

I think most of these fixes are a placebo effect.

1. A hair dryer won't get hot enough to liquify solder.
2. Anyone having to do the heat gun trick more than once hasn't really done anything.
3. The 360 mobo seems picky... just the act of disassembling/reassembling the unit may get it to boot for a while.

I would never buy a used 360 which someone claims they've "fixed" with the heat gun trick.  It is more likely they just damaged something else in the process.

Ive taken my motherboard out and just applied heat to the bottom without taking the X clamps off and its been running for a week so far.  Ive said it once and ill keep saying it this is only a temp fix.  MS didnt take the time  to make this console right the first time.  Then again name a first gen console that runs off of disc media that didnt need to be modified because of problems.

tmh88

• Archived User
Heat Gun Fix, What Gun?
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 10:35:00 PM »

just wondering, but Mr. Robinson, why do you have a vagina as your avatar and sig?

MarutiDriver

• Archived User
Heat Gun Fix, What Gun?
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2007, 10:43:00 PM »

I guess the best course of action here is to forget about the heatgun fix, which actually reflows no solder at all, and go straight to the x-clamp replacement methods.

wellmodded

• Archived User
Heat Gun Fix, What Gun?
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2007, 10:53:00 PM »

yes don';t do heatgun unless its a last resort start with RBJ tut on xclamps replacement

FCTE

• Archived User
Heat Gun Fix, What Gun?
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2007, 12:58:00 AM »

It's times like these that I miss the Original NES, all you had to do was blow in it or slam against a wall a few times and it worked great, in fact the more you physically abused it the better it operated.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy.gif)

MarutiDriver

• Archived User
Heat Gun Fix, What Gun?
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2007, 09:41:00 AM »

My NES has been working for 20 years without the need of blowing or hitting anything... O_o

DrJeckyll

• Archived User
Heat Gun Fix, What Gun?
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2007, 11:24:00 AM »

That's because it doesn't get hot and does not have any crucial electromechanical parts like lasers, fans, etc.

waytoodeep03

• Archived User
Heat Gun Fix, What Gun?
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2007, 02:07:00 PM »

QUOTE(MarutiDriver @ May 24 2007, 04:41 PM) *

My NES has been working for 20 years without the need of blowing or hitting anything... O_o

They just dont make em like they used to. Or they just dont make em like Nintendo makes em.